About the author  ⁄ WFIN

Digital Vision/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — If Floyd Mayweather Jr. is up for a rematch with Manny Pacquiao next year, Top Rank promoter Bob Arum told ESPN.com on Tuesday that says Pacquiao is too.

Mayweather defeated Pacquiao on Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in the richest fight in boxing history. Mayweather also told ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith in a text message on Tuesday that he be would open to a rematch with Pacquiao after he recovers from shoulder surgery to repair what his surgeon, Dr. Neal ElAttrache, told ESPN.com was a “significant tear” in his right rotator cuff.

“I will fight him in a year after his surgery,” Mayweather texted Smith.

Arum said that as difficult as it was for the Pacquiao/Top Rank/HBO and Mayweather/Showtime camps to make the deal for last Saturday’s fight — and as equally difficult as it was to work together during the promotion — he believes they could make a deal for a rematch.

“I think we now know what the pitfalls were,” Arum said. “And, ultimately, with all the aggravation and trouble, look at the pot of gold that we both produced. I think they’re will probably be less aggravation in a rematch. We understand each other better now. There’s a real possibility it could work even better.”

Arum suggests that Mayweather holds off on a September fight and waits for Pacquiao to fight him in April, which is when the MGM plans to open a new 20,000-seat arena in Las Vegas.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Pawel Gaul/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — The U.S. Treasury Department confirmed to ABC News on Tuesday that it has licensed direct ferry services between the United States and Cuba – the first in half a century.

Like the existing charter services that fly between the U.S. and Cuba, the ferries can carry authorized U.S. travelers to Cuba including people in 12 categories who no longer need a license in advance to visit – including family visits, religious and educational activities, among others.

Technically, U.S. tourists are still not allowed to travel to Cuba under the terms of the U.S. embargo that remains in place.

At least two Florida companies say they have been given licenses to begin regular services.

One of the operators says it hopes to launch a service between Key West & Havana “within weeks.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

John Arway/Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission(WILKES-BARRE, Pa.) — A smallmouth bass caught last fall has been confirmed to have a cancerous tumor on its mouth, according to the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission.

The PFBC announced on Monday that two independent laboratory tests confirmed a malignant, or cancerous, tumor on a single smallmouth bass caught in the Susquehanna River by an angler late last year. It is the only documented case of this type of tumor being found on the fish in Pennsylvania.

Cancerous growths and tumors on fish are extremely rare in Pennsylvania and throughout the U.S., but they do occur, according to the agency.

PFBC Executive Director John Arway said in a news release that although the finding represents only one individual fish from the overall population, it provides additional evidence that the health of the fish residing in the Susquehanna River is being compromised.

“As we continue to study the river, we find young-of-year and now adult bass with sores, lesions and more recently a cancerous tumor, all of which continue to negatively impact population levels and recreational fishing,” he said. “The weight-of-evidence continues to build a case that we need to take some action on behalf of the fish.”

Since 2005, biologists have found sores and lesions on young bass during late spring and early summer surveys at “alarming” rates, according to the agency.

Dr. Karen Murphy, acting secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, said, “There is no evidence that carcinomas in fish present any health hazard to humans. However, people should avoid consuming fish that have visible signs of sores and lesions.”

Since 2012, the PFBC has unsuccessfully petitioned the state Department of Environmental Protection to add the river to the state’s bi-annual list of impaired waterways.

“The impairment designation is critical because it starts a timeline for developing a restoration plan,” said Arway. “We’ve known the river has been sick since 2005, when we first started seeing lesions on the smallmouth. Now we have more evidence to further the case for impairment.”

“If we do not act to address the water quality issues in the Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania risks losing what is left of what was once considered a world-class smallmouth bass fishery,” he said.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Italian Police(ROME) — The National Police in Italy have reportedly created a digital image of what they believe Jesus Christ looked like as a young child.

Detectives used the Shroud of Turin — a famous relic believed by some to be the burial cloth of Jesus — to generate a photo of Jesus’ face, The Independent reported. The Shroud of Turin has a faint image of a face, which some believe to be Jesus’ face imprinted on the cloth after his crucifixion.

Police then put the generated image through a computer forensics reverse-aging process to see what Jesus may have looked like as a young boy, according to The Independent.

The image generation technique is reportedly the same method Italian police use to generate photos of wanted criminals.

The digitally created image coincides with the current public display of the Shroud of Turin, which Pope Francis is scheduled to visit and pray to before this coming June 21.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Kevin Quinn/KTRK(GARLAND, Texas) — Joseph Offutt, 21, has been holding a large American flag outside the Curtis Cullwell Center in Garland, Texas, all day Tuesday, hoping to show ISIS and terrorists that the community is still standing strong and not giving into fear.

Offutt’s symbolic gesture is a response to a statement ISIS made Monday night claiming responsibility for the failed terror attack on Sunday during an event displaying cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad.

ISIS called the men “soldiers of the caliphate” and promised worse attacks were to come, though there has been no evidence the failed Garland attack was actually directed by the militant group.

Offutt said he is trying to show America’s pride and patriotism to ISIS, but he said the “Draw the Prophet” event is not something he considers patriotic.

“I believe in our First Amendment right to free speech, and I will protect my amendment with my life,” Offutt told ABC News on Tuesday. “But I do not agree with how this group was using that amendment, knowing they would be offending people’s religion.”

Depicting the Prophet Muhammad is explicitly banned in Islam and seen as a sign of grave disrespect.

Offutt said he came to the center by himself at noon, but since then, dozens of people have come and gone, helping him carry the flag as well as bringing their own signs in solidarity with him.

He was still standing outside as of 7 p.m. Tuesday.

“I haven’t eaten yet, but the way I see it, if the service men and women of our country can make a sacrifice, then I can make a sacrifice, too,” Offutt said. “I’ve never been in so much pain with my arms, but now I got people coming and helping me. It’s a beautiful thing.”

Joseph Offutt stands outside Culwell Ctr. in #Garland. to show #isis the power of U.S. Patriotism & Pride #abc13 pic.twitter.com/ZWmkNHQgso

— Kevin Quinn (@imkevinquinn) May 5, 2015

Offutt’s mother Angela Jenkins, 42, told ABC News on Tuesday she’s proud of her son.

“He has a lot of patriotism and pride in this country, and he wants to let all terrorists know our community is not scared,” she said. “He has a big heart and his pride in this country runs deep.”

Jenkins added that Offutt plans to enlist in the military soon, following in the footsteps of many veterans in their family.

The proud mother also said she’s not concerned for her son’s safety.

“I know God will keep him safe, and the Garland police are still making their presence known in the area,” she said. “Our police department is awesome. If there’s any danger, I know they’ll let him know, and he’ll come home or move to a safer location.”

And though Jenkins said she doesn’t condone the attempted terror attack, she also believes the “Draw the Prophet” event was offensive and a bad idea.

“I’m not Muslim, but I can understand how this could be extremely offensive,” Jenkins said. “They had to know this was going to anger people.”

Jenkins also said that rather than resorting to violence and killing, she wishes the suspects had done a peaceful protest explaining how the event was offensive to Islam.

“We also have to remember not all Muslims are violent,” Jenkins added. “Most are peace-loving, most here love America.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Ivan Romano/Getty Images(ROME) — Refugees keep pouring in to ports in southern Italy, with mild weather and calm seas leading to spikes in smugglers’ boats from North Africa.

Over 6,000 refugees trying to reach Europe by boat were rescued from the Mediterranean over the weekend.

The European Union is now ramping up its rescue efforts, after budget cuts to an existing program led to nearly 2,000 refugee drownings this year.

Will Turner, who is with Doctors Without Borders, has described the situation as a “war zone.”

“We’re facing one of the major humanitarian crisis of our time,” he said. “The Mediterranean is being turned into a mass grave and this simply is not acceptable on Europe’s doorstep.”

Over 300 Africans were on board a ship rescued at sea by the foundation Migrant Offshore Aid Station this week, which is trying to prevent loss of life during the dangerous crossing.

Watch video of the dramatic rescue below:

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

ABC News(NEW YORK) — Startup angel investor Ron Conway, referred to as the “Godfather of Silicon Valley,” says that his biggest mistake was passing up an investment in Salesforce.com, which now may be the target of a possible acquisition.

Conway and his company, SV Angel, make early investments in startups, and their roster includes Google, Facebook, Twitter, Airbnb and Dropbox.

A board member of the Salesforce.com Foundation, Conway told ABC News’ chief business and economics correspondent Rebecca Jarvis in an exclusive interview that he can’t confirm Bloomberg’s report that Microsoft is considering buying the successful San Francisco-based cloud computing company.

He discussed Salesforce.com when asked about “the one that got away.”

“Well the one that kills me is the most is because he reminds me the most, is not investing in Salesforce.com,” Conway said at TechCrunch Disrupt in New York this week. “If you know [founder] Marc Benioff, you can imagine that he would remind you quite often about that.”

The Salesforce.com CEO’s outspoken leadership has been in the headlines in the last two months, including becoming among the first high-profile CEOs to threaten to leave Indiana over its Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Most recently, he revealed that he reviews employee salaries to make sure women are not underpaid based on their gender.

When asked which company has the brightest road ahead of it, Conway immediately named one of his portfolio companies, four-year-old Pinterest, which he called “one of the most powerful brands on the planet already.”

He said “Google is not going away,” but Pinterest is providing “a whole new way, a whole new paradigm instead of search.”

“Pinterest is offering consumers a way to discover things on the Web, in a serendipitous way, with a beautiful user interface,” Conway said. “So it’s offering a whole new paradigm called ‘discover’ and allowing users to be creative.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — The White House isn’t budging as Senate Republicans wrangle over last-minute changes to an Iran bill.

Republicans and the White House drafted a compromise bill that would allow Congress to vote on any final deal over Iran’s nuclear program.

But now Senators Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) and Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) have added amendments that might kill the bill altogether.

“Ultimately, it will be the responsibility of individual senators to decide whether or not they’re going to go along with this compromise proposal,” said White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest.

The White House originally opposed the Iran bill altogether.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

WTVD(RALEIGH, N.C.) — A North Carolina police officer who received a reportedly free cup of coffee while in uniform is suing Starbucks, claiming he burned himself when the hot beverage spilled on him after the cup allegedly collapsed in his grip.

This case is reminiscent of the infamous lawsuit filed against McDonald’s that won an injured customer $2.86 million in 1994.

This new lawsuit is playing out in a Raleigh courtroom and testimony is expected to begin later this week.

Matthew Kohr, who is a lieutenant for the special operations division of the Raleigh Police Department, received a cup of coffee at a local Starbucks branch in January 2012, according to the lawsuit obtained by ABC News.

When he went to pick up the cup, the lawsuit states, the lid popped up and the cup folded in on itself, spilling the hot coffee on Kohr’s thigh and groin area.

Kohr claims the burn aggravated his Crohn’s disease and caused him to have surgery that led to the removal of a portion of his large intestine, the lawsuit states.

The suit alleges he was not the only one who has suffered from the burn, because his wife has lost her “intimate partner,” ABC News station WTVD-TV reports.

A Starbucks spokesperson told ABC News the safety of their customers and employees “is our top priority,” and the company denied any wrongdoing.

“We believe our store partners did nothing wrong and are prepared to present our case at trial,” the spokesperson told ABC News.

The barista who served Kohr the coffee, the branch manager, and the paper cup company were all initially named as defendants in the case, but it has now been amended to name Starbucks as the only defendant.

Kohr and his lawyers did not immediately respond to ABC News’ requests for comment. They were expected to be in court on Tuesday during jury selection.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Ivan Romano/Getty Images(ROME) — Migrants keep pouring in to ports in southern Italy, with mild weather and calm seas leading to spikes in smugglers’ boats from North Africa.

Over 6,000 migrants trying to reach Europe by boat were rescued from the Mediterranean over the weekend.

The European Union is now ramping up its rescue efforts, after budget cuts to an existing program led to nearly 2,000 migrant drownings this year.

Will Turner, who is with Doctors Without Borders, has described the situation as a “war zone.”

“We’re facing one of the major humanitarian crisis of our time,” he said. “The Mediterranean is being turned into a mass grave and this simply is not acceptable on Europe’s doorstep.”

Over 300 Africans were on board a ship rescued at sea by the foundation Migrant Offshore Aid Station this week, which is trying to prevent loss of life during the dangerous crossing.

Watch video of the dramatic rescue below:

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →