About the author  ⁄ WFIN

Chelsea Herline(ORLANDO, Fla.) — For one California woman, a trip to Walt Disney World last month proved that dreams really do come true.

On April 23, Chelsea Herline, 27, of San Francisco, decided to try her luck with a 22-year-old, unused day pass at the gates to Disney’s Magic Kingdom.

The park employees were so astounded by the 1994 ticket that they allowed her to redeem it, she said.

“[The employee] was so nice about it,” Herline recalled. “She said, ‘Wow, this is a really old ticket.’ She had to call her manager to help convert it to an electronic ticket, and from a child ticket to an adult ticket.”

Herline added: “I just went around to all of the big rides — Splash Mountain, It’s a Small World. We have a family joke that when I was little, I fell asleep on the ride. So this time, I took a picture of myself, sent it to my parents, said I had two cups of coffee and was ready to go.”

Herline was 4 years old when her parents brought her and her two older sisters to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

Each family member received a “4-Day Park Hopper” pass, but on the last day, Herline got sick and never used the last day on her pass.

Chelsea Herline

Then, this year, Chelsea said her father stumbled upon her pass.

“My dad had it in our safe in our basement, for some reasons, after all these years,” Herline said. “We happened to have a trip planned and he surprised me with the ticket. He didn’t think that I would actually try and use it. It was kind of a joke.”

While vacationing in Orlando with her family, Herline successfully redeemed the pass and toured the Magic Kingdom as she did over two decades ago.

“I think a lot of people can relate…everybody loves Disney World and it makes everyone feel nostalgic,” Chelsea said. “It’s kind of a happy story.”

The Walt Disney Co. is the parent company of ABC News.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) — A change of leadership is underway at the busiest airport in the U.S.

Miguel Southwell was dismissed as the general manager of Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport last Friday. While he didn’t say exactly why Southwell was terminated, Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed on Monday commented on the airport’s struggle with long security lines.

“Hartsfield-Jackson needs to be treated like the busiest airport on Earth, because it is,” Reed noted.

The airport is now undergoing a major construction process to improve runways and update concourses.

“Construct a sixth runway and invest more than $900 million in a new concourse,” Reed said of the improvement plans. “We have a great deal to do.”

Along with Southwell, the city’s watershed commissioner, Jo Ann Macrina, was also let go.

“In the coming days, I’m confident that folks will make the judgment that we made the right call,” Reed explained.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(PRETORIA, South Africa) — South Africa’s chief prosecutor said on Monday he will appeal a court ruling ordering his office to reconsider reinstating 783 corruption charges against President Jacob Zuma.

“I have decided to apply leave to appeal against the judgment of the full bench of the Pretoria High ourt,” National Prosecuting Authority head Shaun Abrahams said in a televised press conference in Pretoria.

The announcement comes three weeks after the Pretoria High Court ordered the National Prosecuting Authority to review its 2009 decision to drop the corruption charges against Zuma, which are linked to a 1999 government arms deal worth billions of dollars.

The corruption charges were dropped just weeks before the 2009 presidential elections, allowing Zuma to run and ultimately win.

Zuma has always denied the allegations against him.

Abrahams insisted Monday that no one influenced his decision to appeal the court ruling and acknowledged that the move won’t please all parties.

“I will carry out my duties and obligations in cases irrespective of who the suspect is or who the accused is without fear, favor or prejudice. I will do so what I believe is proper and correct in fulfilling my institutional obligations and law,” he said at the press conference Monday. “It is not in my job to please anybody or to make popular decisions but only to act in terms of principles and policies in accordance with my constitutional and statutory duties.”

The decision is good news for Zuma, who is facing intensifying calls for his resignation from the opposition and even from within his ruling African National Congress after a scathing verdict from South Africa’s Constitutional Court. The court ruled on March 31 that Zuma violated the country’s constitution when he failed to repay millions in taxpayer money that was used for upgrades to his personal residence near the town of Nkandla.

Zuma, 74, survived an impeachment vote in the legislature last month. But veteran African National Congress members have urged the embattled leader to step down, saying the scandal has damaged the party’s image and has fractured the trust of its supporters.

“Our president, comrade Jacob Zuma, should reflect deeply and do the right thing to resolve the unprecedented crisis that the ANC currently faces,” the provincial executive committee of the African National Congress chapter in Gauteng said in an online statement on April 12.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Google(MOUNTAINVIEW, Calif.) — Google’s new Science Journal app is turning Android smartphones into pocket-sized scientific powerhouses, allowing users to conduct a variety of experiments using tools already built into the device.

Geared toward parents and children, the free app guides users through the scientific process, from brainstorming and designing a project to gathering data and displaying it visually in a way young scientists can understand.

Aside from being an organizational tool for ideas, the app is able to gather data using the various features, such as a microphone and an accelerometer, which can measure the speed of a movement and is already built into smartphones.

“You can use the sensors in your phone or connect to external sensors to conduct experiments on the world around you,” the app description says. “Organize your ideas into projects, make predictions, take notes and collect data in multiple trials, then annotate and explore your results. It’s the lab notebook you always have with you.”

The app works on Android devices running KitKat or newer versions of the operating system. While the app is packed with basic scientific utility, Google is also working with San Francisco’s Exploratorium to create external science kits with additional materials, such as inexpensive sensors and craft supplies, that can be used in tandem with the app to measure motion, speed, magnetism, temperature, altitude and more.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

ABC News(NEW YORK) — The crucial black boxes from EgyptAir Flight 804 have yet to be recovered since the plane disappeared over the Mediterranean Sea last week with 66 aboard. But countries including the United States, France and Egypt are all contributing to search teams combing the area.

Here’s what to know about the hunt for the black boxes that could potentially shed light on what caused the plane to lose contact near the Egyptian coast while en route to Cairo from Paris Thursday:

Search Area Is Nearly the Size of Connecticut

Search teams are working a nearly 5,300-square-mile area in the Mediterranean Sea — an area nearly the size of the state of Connecticut.

Pinpointing the location of the black boxes could be extremely difficult as the pingers on the boxes only emit their ultrasonic signal within a 2-mile radius.

Additionally, the debris from the crash has been floating for days, so it may have been carried far away from the area where the plane initially lost contact.

Egypt Focuses on Recovering Bodies, Sends Submarine

Civil Aviation Minister Sherif Fathi told reporters Sunday that while the black boxes have yet to be recovered, search teams are continuing to recover human remains and other parts of the plane. Fathi told ABC News their No. 1 priority is finding the bodies of the deceased.

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi told reporters an Egyptian oil ministry submarine capable of diving to nearly 10,000 feet below the surface of the Mediterranean was en route to the crash site Sunday. The depth of the Mediterranean at the crash site is roughly 10,000 feet.

Americans Spot More Than 100 Pieces of Debris

U.S. Navy aircraft participating in the search found two fields of debris this weekend.

The first debris field was found by a P-3 flight Saturday and the second — reported to be three nautical miles in radius — was found Sunday, the U.S. Navy said.

It was not clear how far apart the two fields are from each other.

Another U.S. Navy P-3 flight searched the area Monday, but it was not immediately clear if anything new was spotted.

France Sends Ship to Detect Signals, Collect Debris

A French ship has also arrived at the search area and intends to focus on detecting signals and collecting any debris, a spokesman for the French Navy told ABC News.

The ship can possibly detect signals deeper than approximately 5,000 feet, but that can depend on the strength of the signal and the direction of signals, the French Navy said.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

ABC News(NEW YORK) — Body activist and model Ashley Graham Monday announced a new swimwear line for curvy women.

Graham, who was the first so-called curvy model to have an ad in the iconic Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, appeared live on ABC’s Good Morning America to discuss her new swimsuit line, which is offered in partnership with the plus-size swimwear company swimsuitsforall.

The 28-year-old also answered questions from fans about which style of swimsuit would work best for people with either flat or large busts, as well as questions from a woman who has a tummy after having two kids and another who is short and wants to have the appearance of longer legs.

Graham, who wears a size 14, said she wanted her line to make women feel confident and sexy at the beach. The line features 11 styles of swimsuits — some of which incorporate metal detailing or Swarovski crystals.

ASHLEY’S ADVICE

Flatter busts:
Find a suit with a halter, Graham said. One such suit — her Espionage-style bikini, with double-cross top — would help to give the wearer great shape and lift, she said. The braided straps draw attention to the chest, and can be tied even tighter in the back to create more cleavage.

Ashley’s pick for flatter busts: Ashley Graham x swimsuitsforall Espionage Black Bikini — swimsuitsforall, $55.30

Larger busts: Find a suit with support, such as a built-in bra. Graham said several suits in her collection — such as the Stakeout and Spy styles — have bras built in, offering both style and support.

Ashley’s pick for larger busts: Ashley Graham x swimsuitsforall Stakeout Swimsuit — swimsuitsforall, $138.60

Post-baby tummy: Choose a suit with tummy control and ruching. Ruched fabric is great for smoothing and creating definition at the waist, Graham said. Her Trimshaper suit has a tummy control panel, which gives added support through the midsection. Another suit features a sweetheart neckline along with a halter, which draws the focus up higher on the body.

Ashley’s pick to feel confident about your midsection:
Solid Control One-Piece Tank Swimsuit by Trimshaper — JCPenney, $54.99

Short people who want the appearance of longer legs: Choose a bikini. Showing a little bit of skin will help make the wearer’s legs look longer by focusing people’s attention to the exposed skin, Graham said.

Ashley’s pick for the illusion of longer legs:
Women’s Crochet Suit by Xhilaration. Bralette bikini top — Target, $14.00; Bottom — Target, $14.00

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(MELBOURNE, Australia) — Passengers were forced to abandon their hot air balloon when uncooperative wind conditions pulled it off course and over Port Phillip Bay in Melbourne, Australia.

The standard operating procedures in the event of a balloon going over water is to “contact the water police immediately and they coordinate with emergency services,” explained balloon operator Daniel Crock. However, the basket had no flotation devices or life jackets.

Luckily, a father and son out wakeboarding saw the balloon descending towards the water.

“Dad starts going quicker and he goes, ‘You need to come in now. We got to get this hot air balloon'” son Jack Abbott recalled of the rescue situation.

With nowhere else to go, the hot air balloon delicately came down to rest on the deck of the motorboat that was at the right place at the right time.

Each time a passenger jumped off, the balloon became lighter, causing it to float upwards again, which meant they could only come off one at a time to allow the pilot to re-calibrate and repeat the process.

Once all nine passengers were safely aboard the boat, the reduced weight of the basket allowed the pilot to find wind and navigate to Mount Martha, a nearby beach.

Despite the close call, passenger Johnny Simmons said, “Yeah, I’d do it again.”

Authorities are investigating the safety of hot air balloons after the potential threats raised in the rescue at sea.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Indian Research Space Organization(NEW DELHI) — India’s quest to build a reusable space shuttle just cleared its first major hurdle with the successful launch Monday of a miniature prototype.

The shuttle, which is designed to place satellites into orbit, took its first test flight Monday when it blasted off from the Satish Dhawan Space Center in Sriharikota, an island located off the country’s southeastern coast in the Bay of Bengal.

After reaching a peak altitude of 40 miles Monday morning, the Reusable Launch Vehicle-Technology Demonstrator (RLV-TD) re-entered the atmosphere at Mach 5 (five times the speed of sound) and successfully descended to a landing spot over the Bay of Bengal, about 279 miles from where it launched, according to a statement from the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO).

“In this flight, critical technologies such as autonomous navigation, guidance & control, reusable thermal protection system and re-entry mission management have been successfully validated,” ISRO said in a statement.

The Indian Space Research Organization has been working on low-cost space technologies, with the shuttle prototype reportedly costing $14 million, according to the BBC.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi highlighted the “industrious work of our scientists” in helping make the test launch a success.

In 2013, India launched its Mars Orbiter Mission, sending a satellite to enter the Red Planet’s orbit. The total cost of the mission was reported to be around $74 million, making it just a fraction of the cost of other exploratory missions to Mars.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(HANOI, Vietnam) — The Peace Corps is officially coming to Vietnam for the first time.

In a press conference in Hanoi, President Obama announced the Vietnamese government approved the volunteer organization setting up operations in the country

Their group’s main focus will be teaching English to Vietnamese students.

“I’m very pleased that for the first time the Peace Corps will come to Vietnam,” the president said in a press conference alongside Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang. “Our Peace Corps volunteers will focus on teaching English and the friendship that our people forged will bring us closer together for decades to come.”

The Peace Corps was established by President John F. Kennedy in an executive order in 1961. During his presidential campaign a year before, Kennedy urged college students to dedicate two years of their lives to helping people in developing countries.

More than 220,000 Americans have served in the volunteer program in 140 host countries.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(HANOI, Vietnam) — The U.S. is ending a decades long arms embargo on Vietnam, President Obama announced Monday in Hanoi.

At a press conference alongside Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang, the president said lifting the embargo, which has been in place since 1975, will further normalize relations between the two countries.

“This change will ensure Vietnam has access to the equipment it needs to defend itself and removes a lingering vestige of the Cold War,” he said. “It also underscores the commitment of the United States to a fully normalized relationship with Vietnam including strong defense ties with Vietnam in the region for the long term.”

President Obama said the decision to lift the arms embargo was not made in response to China’s territorial assertions in the South China Sea.

“The decision to lift the ban was not based on China or any other considerations. It was based on our desire to complete what has been a lengthy process of moving towards normalization with Vietnam,” he said.

“My decision to lift the ban really was more reflective of the changing nature of the relationship,” he added.

The president said that while the arms embargo will be lifted, the sale of different types of arms will be dependent on the progress Vietnam makes on human rights.

“As with all of our defense partners, sales will need to still meet strict requirements, including those related to human rights,” he said. “This is an area where we still have differences.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →