About the author  ⁄ WFIN

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — If you find yourself looking for a thrill this summer, look no further. With new roller coasters popping up across the nation, there is no shortage of flips, twists and drops. Here are some of the newest roller coasters opening just in time for the season.

Cobra’s Curse at Busch Gardens – Tampa, Florida

This family-friendly roller coaster, which can hit 40 mph, is now open to the public. Passengers begin the interactive ride facing forward, then turn backward, and spin to the finish.

Lightning Rod at Dollywood – Pigeon Forge, Tennessee

Passengers weave through surrounding trees, hills and valleys on Dollywood’s newest wooden coaster. Lightning Rod reaches 73 mph, allowing guests to experience nearly 20 seconds of airtime.

Mako at SeaWorld – Orlando, Florida

SeaWorld has introduced Orlando’s tallest, fastest and longest roller coaster yet. Appropriately named after the fastest known shark, Mako reaches up to 200 feet in the air and travels as fast as 73 mph.

The Monster at Adventureland – Des Moines, Iowa

The Monster, which cost approximately 9 million dollars to create, opened just weeks ago on June 4. Its most thrilling features include five inversions, a top speed of 65 mph and a 101 degree drop.

The Joker at Six Flags Great Adventure – Jackson, New Jersey

The Joker is a 4D free-fly coaster that includes thrill-inducing swiveling cars. After reaching a height of 120 feet, riders tumble down a 90-degree hill in a simulated free fall with some added weightless flips.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(MOTHERWELL, Scotland) — An inverted roller coaster at a Scottish theme park derailed, hit the ride’s support and crashed to the ground, injuring 10 people, including eight children, police said.

The incident occurred this morning at M&D’s theme park in Motherwell, about a half-hour from Glasglow, according to the Lanarkshire, Scotland, police. The Tsunami inverted roller-coaster ride, involving five gondolas in a train, detached from its rails, collided with the ride’s main structure and hit the ground, police said.

“On arrival it became clear a series of five gondolas connected on a train on the Tsunami ride have detached from the rails, struck the superstructure and then struck the ground,” Chief Inspector David Bruce of Police Scotland said. “They [the gondolas] fell less than 20 feet. It would appear that they have been coming round a bend and at that point it has detached.”

He could not confirm the speed the cars were going when they derailed, but confirmed that they “hadn’t struck anything on the ground.”

Police said two of the injured were struck on the ground. The 10 people were all being treated a local hospitals, but details of their injuries were not available, police said. Police had earlier reported 11 people were injured.

A spokesperson for M&D’s said in a statement that “a serious incident occurred at M&D’s today involving the tsunami rollercoaster. We have all emergency services on site to assist. The theme park is closed until further notice.”

The “Tsunami” is the only inverted roller coaster in Scotland and can reach speeds of up to 65 kilometers per hour as it goes through corkscrew twists, according to the theme park website. Children under 10 are not allowed on the ride, the website says.

One woman who said she had gotten off the ride when the accident happened said the scene was “like something out of a horror film.”

“My heart goes out to everyone on it,” Katie Burns said in a posting on Facebook. “A full load came off the track but and on the pavement, like a horror film worse thing ever heard and seen, can’t get over this.”

Another woman who was there said she was “in shock” at what she saw.

In shock at what I’ve just witnessed in M&Ds. Hope everyone is safe💕 pic.twitter.com/lWdOqJrEyB

— DMI (@_demicampbell) June 26, 2016

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(ROME) — After 20 years on the lam, one of Italy’s top mob bosses has been arrested.

Italian authorities found Ernesto Fazzalari, a leading figure of the powerful mafia clan the ‘Ndrangheta, asleep with a female companion in a small apartment in Calabria.

Fazzalari, 46, was fleeing a life sentence for murder. Authorities said he remained a powerful clan leader of the ‘Ndrangheta, believed to control most of the cocaine trade in Europe, while in hiding.

He first fled in 1996, and in 1999 he was convicted in absentia of murder and other crimes.

Fazzalari was Italy’s second most wanted mob boss, but the search continues for Sicilian Mafia boss Matteo Messina Denaro, one of the most wanted criminals in the world.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — At least 11 people were hurt — including nine children — when a roller coaster at a Scottish theme park came off the rails today and crashed near a children’s attraction, police said.

Lanarkshire, Scotland, police told ABC News that emergency services were responding to the incident at M&D’s theme park in Motherwell, about a half-hour from Glasglow.

The 11 people were all being treated a local hospitals, but details of their injuries were not available, police said.

A spokesperson for M&D’s said in a statement that “a serious incident occurred at M&D’s today involving the tsunami rollercoaster. We have all emergency services on site to assist. The theme park is closed until further notice.”

The “Tsunami” is the only inverted roller coaster in Scotland and can reach speeds of up to 65 kilometers per hour as it goes through corkscrew twists, according to the theme park website. Children under 10 are not allowed on the ride, the website says.

One woman who said she had gotten off the ride when the accident happened said the scene was “like something out of a horror film.”

“My heart goes out to everyone on it,” Katie Burns said in a posting on Facebook. “A full load came off the track but and on the pavement, like a horror film worse thing ever heard and seen, can’t get over this.”

Another woman who was there said she was “in shock” at what she saw.

In shock at what I’ve just witnessed in M&Ds. Hope everyone is safe💕 pic.twitter.com/lWdOqJrEyB

— DMI (@_demicampbell) June 26, 2016

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(LONDON) — British Ambassador to the United States Kim Darroch was clear Sunday about England’s position following the United Kingdom’s vote to leave the European Union: “We’re not going to disappear from the world stage. We will still be important players and America’s closest ally,” he said.

“There’s going to be a period of uncertainty while we work out this new relationship with Europe,” Darroch said on This Week. “But we are a strong country, a stable country. We will work it out in our usual pragmatic way. We will come through this and we will end up as important a player on the international scene as we have been.”

He also gave assurances that “the special relationship” between the United States and England “will endure and will be as strong as ever.”

The final vote on the Brexit referendum was split 51.9 percent “leave” to 48.1 percent “remain,” leaving many questioning the finality of the decision. In fact, by midday Sunday more than 3 million people had signed a petition asking for a new referendum. Darroch, however, described the Brexit decision as “irrevocable.”

The vote to exit the European Union also led Prime Minister David Cameron to announce his resignation. According to the ambassador, the “expectation” is that England’s Conservative Party will elect a new leader by the end of September.

“The prime minister made it clear throughout that this was a once-in-a-generation vote and the result was final,” Darroch said. “The task for us now is to pull together and work out the new relationship with Europe.”

Darroch served as Prime Minister Cameron’s national security adviser for four years prior to accepting his current position in the United States.

“I’m sad that he’s resigning,” Darroch said. “I understand why he has chosen to go in these circumstances.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — A roller coaster at a Scottish theme park came off the rails today and crashed into a nearby children’s attraction, according to BBC reports and posts on social media.

Lanarkshire, Scotland, police told ABC News that emergency services were responding to the incident at M&D’s theme park in Motherwell, about a half-hour from Glasglow.

A spokesperson for M&D’s said in a statement that “a serious incident occurred at M&D’s today involving the tsunami rollercoaster. We have all emergency services on site to assist. The theme park is closed until further notice.”

The “Tsunami” is the only inverted roller coaster in Scotland and can reach speeds of up to 65 killometers per hour as it goes through corkscrew twists, according to the theme park website. Children under 10 are not allowed on the ride, the website says.

The BBC reported that police said seven people were injured, although there was no word on the seriousness of the injuries or the ages of anyone hurt.

In shock at what I’ve just witnessed in M&Ds. Hope everyone is safe💕 pic.twitter.com/lWdOqJrEyB

— DMI (@_demicampbell) June 26, 2016

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(LONDON) — For the first time ever, female “knights” will be joining jousting competitions at castles in the U.K. this summer, according to English Heritage, a registered nonprofit that manages over 400 historic sites in the U.K. and routinely hosts jousting events.

“Horsewoman extraordinaire” Nicky Willis will be the first woman to take the reins at the English Heritage’s annual Grand Medieval Joust at Kenilworth Castle this Saturday, the nonprofit told ABC News in a statement.

Willis will be pitting her skills against three leading male knights, including Russian champion Dimitry Shabachenko, the nonprofit said.

“I have heard how much fun it is to joust at Kenilworth and can’t wait to be part of the action this year,” Willis said in a news release. “Kenilworth is famed for some of the most elaborate tournaments in Medieval England — as well playing host to one of England’s strongest women, Queen Elizabeth I – so it’s the perfect place to sort the women from the boys!”

Historically, women weren’t allowed in the “elite band” of knights who took part in jousting tournaments, according to English Heritage’s head of events, Emily Sewell.

But “[n]ow they are,” Sewell said in a news release. “[I]n order to bring our visitors the opportunity to witness some of the most accomplished knights on the circuit, it made complete sense to invite the leading female jousters to join us this summer.”

Female jouster Alix van Zijl will later compete in tournaments at Carisbrooke Castle and Bolsover Castle this August, according to English Heritage.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — This election year has exposed widespread voter anger directed at Wall Street, and U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Preet Bharara agrees that “to an extent, people are right about the system being rigged.”

“I think people have a right…given the track record of this office and other offices of exposing fraud, to be worried about that,” Bharara told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos.

That track record of rooting out fraud has earned Bharara the nickname “Sheriff of Wall Street,” but he has also set his sights on the corruption plaguing New York’s state capital. Since taking office, he’s prosecuted cases against more than a dozen state officeholders.

“We have found that corruption is rife in a lot of institutions in New York and throughout New York. That’s true in the legislature,” he said. “It’s also the case that there’s corruption, we believe, in the executive branches as well. And we’ll ferret it out wherever we find it.”

Preet Bharara’s office was once held by FBI Director James Comey, who is currently looking into Hillary Clinton’s use of a private email server during her tenure as secretary of state. When asked how a prosecutor determines whether to bring a case against a public official in a political year, Bharara said every case needs to be held to the same high standard of objectivity.

“We should not ever be substituting our judgment — as to who should or should not be in office — unless they have clearly violated criminal statutes and are deserving of criminal prosecution,” he said.

Several people who have held Bharara’s office have gone on to hold higher office, including Comey and Rudy Giuliani. But, Bharara insists he has the job he wants, and dismissed the idea of going into politics or heading to Washington, telling Stephanopoulos, “I love New York. New York is great. This is my home.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Last week, music fans were excited to redeem free ticket vouchers that were part of a class action lawsuit settled by Ticketmaster. Now, many are outraged to find out that the vouchers are only good for a limited list of concerts.

Ticketmaster settled a lawsuit with customers who purchased tickets through the service between October 21, 1999, and February, 27, 2013. Five plaintiffs filed suit alleging “excessive and deceptive” ticket fees and other charges.

Music fans who purchased tickets during that time recently received discounts toward future Ticketmaster purchases or vouchers for free tickets to certain events.

Ticketmaster may have hoped the offer would hit the right note with fans, but it quickly backfired.

Over 750 shows that concertgoers could have used the vouchers for have sold out, and a lot of those performances did not include some of the summer’s hottest acts. Instead of being eligible to see Beyonce’s tour for free, the vouchers can be used for many tribute bands or cover bands.

Even with the B-list acts, music fans in 24 states can’t see concerts because there are no shows in their states that allow the free ticket vouchers.

“Over $10 million worth of ticket vouchers have been redeemed and the eligible events have been closed,” said a statement from Ticketmaster.

The good news is, Ticketmaster said they would make additional seats available this summer with more information to come next week.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(BRUSSELS) — Anti-terror raids in Belgium had police arrest two men who were planning to attack a Euro 2016 match.

Belgian Police took in the two men for questioning after overnight raids in Verviers and Tournai. They were later arrested and charged for “participation to the activities of a terrorist group,” according to the Belgium Federal Prosecutor’s Office.

ABC News confirmed with Belgian Police that the two men were targeting the Hungary-Belgium Euro 2016 match scheduled for Sunday at 9 p.m. local time.

The two men were charged as perpetrator or co-perpetrator, according to the prosecutor’s office.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →