About the author  ⁄ WFIN

Courtesy Chris Kiley(NEW YORK) — A man in Connecticut figured out how to turn Samsung’s nightmare – exploding Galaxy Note 7s that had to be recalled and ultimately taken off the market, reportedly costing the company billions – into his Halloween costume.

Chris Kiley, 32, said he is a lifelong Apple fan who got the idea to give Samsung “a little bit of ribbing” this Halloween when he realized he could use his vaporizer to create smoke.

The Note 7s were first under an exchange program and then recalled after multiple reports of the smartphones overheating and exploding while charging. When reports surfaced of similar incidents with the replacements, Samsung permanently halted production on the model and the FAA banned them from flights to, from or within the U.S.

“There was so much misinformation and unclear information about what to do,” Kiley said of Samsung’s response. “So it’s topical and when the idea came to me with the vaporizer I thought, ‘Oh that would be amazing.’”

To make his costume, Kiley collected a handful of discarded Note 7 boxes. He drilled holes into the boxes and then used hot glue to attach them onto an old t-shirt.

He used connectors to split plastic tubing into the different Note 7 boxes on his shirt. The tubing then goes up to his mouth and he can create smoke by exhaling into the tube.

A Facebook video Kiley posted of his costume has received more than 2.5 million views since Friday.

“Overall, people get it for the lighthearted joke that it is,” he said about the huge response. “Samsung does normally make a good phone so it’s not really punching down.”

He said he thinks the company can handle the joke. “They’re on top, so they can take a little bit of ribbing.”

Samsung is telling customers they can exchange their Galaxy Note 7 phones for another Samsung smartphone, or receive a refund.

Kiley said the idea of creating a smoking Note 7 costume also appealed to him because he was looking for a couple’s costume. His fiancé now plans to dress up as a firefighter.

“The costume hasn’t left my room since I made it but now I’m looking at some costume contests,” he said.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — A suspected Russian hacker has been arrested in the Czech Republic for his alleged role in a cyber-attack on social media giant LinkedIn, sources told ABC News.

The man, so far unidentified by U.S. authorities, was taken into custody by Czech National Police in Prague, based on a “red notice” issued by Interpol, the FBI said in a statement.

While the FBI has not confirmed the alleged hacker’s ties to the LinkedIn breach, the agency’s statement said he is “suspected of conducting criminal activities targeting U.S. interests.”

In May, LinkedIn announced it “was the victim of an unauthorized access” four years earlier that exposed email addresses and passwords of more than 100 million users — which were reportedly offered for sale on the dark web.

The 27-year-old suspect was arrested two weeks ago in the restaurant of a Prague hotel, sources told ABC News. During the arrest, they said, he collapsed and was then taken to a nearby hospital.

U.S. prosecutors are asking Czech authorities to extradite him to the U.S. so he can face federal charges in San Francisco.

The Russian government said it will try to block the extradition, amid growing tensions between the United States and Russia over cyber-attacks on U.S. targets that the government believes originate in Russia.

“We don’t accept U.S. policy of imposing its extraterritorial jurisdiction on all countries,” Alexei Vladimirovich Kolmakov, a spokesman with the Russian Embassy in Prague, told ABC News. “We insist that the detained Russian citizen is transferred to Russia.”

In its statement, the FBI vowed to go after hackers wherever they may be.

“As cyber crime can originate anywhere in the world, international cooperation is crucial to successfully defeat cyber adversaries,” the statement said.

The arrest in Prague comes only days after U.S. authorities made a rare public accusation, blaming the Russian government for an onslaught of cyber-attacks on Americans political targets including the Democratic National Committee. Sources have also blamed Russian hackers for targeting voter-related systems in nearly half of the U.S. states.

As ABC News first reported, hackers were able to successfully access voter-related information in four states by targeting not only government systems, but also by breaking into computers associated with private contractors hired to handle voter information.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

T-Mobile(WASHINGTON) — The nation’s number three wireless carrier was fined Wednesday after touting “unlimited” plans that weren’t so unlimited.

The Federal Communications Commission said Wednesday T-Mobile will pay $48 million “as part of a settlement resolving an investigation into whether the company adequately disclosed speed and data restrictions for its ‘unlimited’ data plan subscribers.”

According to the agency, T-Mobile would slow down the Internet speeds of heavy data users without telling customers how much use would trigger the lower speed.

“Consumers should not have to guess whether so-called ‘unlimited’ data plans contain key restrictions, like speed constraints, data caps, and other material limitations,” FCC Enforcement Bureau Chief Travis LeBlanc said in a statement. “When broadband providers are accurate, honest and upfront in their ads and disclosures, consumers aren’t surprised and they get what they’ve paid for.”

The settlement includes $35.5 million in “consumer benefits” offered to T-Mobile and Metro PCS customers and a $7.5 million fine.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(AUBURN HILLS, Mich.) — Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) is recalling nearly 200,000 2016 and 2017 Jeep Wranglers in the U.S. over faulty wiring.

The company says the wires may disconnect from the vehicles’ impact sensors in certain crash events.

“Impact sensors help determine when airbags and pretensioners should be activated,” FCA explained in a statement Wednesday. “A wiring disconnect may prevent their deployment.”

FCA says it spotted the issue during one of its routine crash tests. So far, no injuries or accidents have been reported.

Affected customers will be notified when they can visit their local dealer to get their wires rerouted at no charge.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — New home construction fell again in September to its lowest rate in 15 months, but that’s not all bad news.

According to the Department of Commerce, while there was a sharp drop in the number of multi-family homes being built, there was an eight percent gain in single family home construction. National Association of Homebuilders Chief Economist Robert Dietz says that rise in single family home starts is a good sign for the economy.

“As we see gains in single family construction the homebuilding component of the overall economy should grow and that should be good news in terms of economic output and job creation,” Dietz tells ABC News.

Since the September slump comes on the heels of a summer surge in multi-family home building, Dietz says the overall decline points to a market adjustment. But it may also just come down to demographics and shifting demand.

“Aging millennials, as they obtain careers are able to save for a down payment get married and have kids, there’s going to be an increasing demand for the single family side of the market,” Dietz says.

So while those numbers are down, Dietz advises not to let the bad news about the economy overshadow the good.

“Take it with a bit of a grain of salt,” he told ABC News. “On the single family side, it’s continued growth long trend.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(MANILA, Philippines) — A dramatic video from a demonstration in Manila, Philippines, Wednesday captured the moment a police van appears to ram into a crowd of protesters.

The incident happened outside the U.S. embassy in the country’s capital, according to ABS-CBN News, the news division of the largest entertainment and media network in the Philippines.

Hundreds of Filipino activists — most from a left-wing umbrella group called Bayan, which means “nation” — had been protesting American intervention and military presence with signs like “U.S. TROOPS OUT NOW” and “NO TO U.S. INTERVENTION” when the demonstration took a violent turn, ABS-CBN reported.

Photos and videos from the event appear to show police throwing tear gas at protesters, and, at one point, dousing them with a powerful spray of water from a fire truck hose. The photos and video also appear to show protesters hurling red paint and rocks at police and the U.S. embassy building.

One video clip appears to show a police vehicle moving backwards and forwards through a group of protesters, and appearing to run some people over. The crowd screamed in response, and some protesters appeared to throw rocks and red paint at the van, the video shows.

The driver of the van, Police Officer Franklin Kho, told ABS-CBN News that demonstrators had been trying to take the vehicle from police, so he was forced to get in and drive it. He added that police and more people would have been hurt if protesters got in the vehicle.

Police mobile, nasagasaan ang ilang militante pic.twitter.com/mg4hxJh1dU

— Jerome Lantin (@JeromeLantin) October 19, 2016

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(KABUL, Afghanistan) — Two Americans have been killed in an attack near a coalition base near Kabul, Afghanistan, officials said. In addition to the deaths of the U.S. service member and U.S. civilian, two additional U.S. civilians were injured in Wednesday’s attack.

“U.S. service member and one U.S. civilian died as a result of wounds sustained in Kabul, Afghanistan today,” according to a statement released by U.S. Forces Afghanistan. “One U.S. service member and two U.S. civilians also sustained wounds and are currently stable.

“The two individuals were killed during an attack near a coalition base by an unknown assailant, who was later killed. They were conducting duties as part of the larger NATO mission to Train, Advise, and Assist the Afghan security services. An investigation is being conducted to determine the exact circumstances of the event.”

There were unconfirmed media accounts in Kabul that the incident may have been an insider attack and that the attacker was wearing an Afghan Army uniform.

“Anytime we lose a member of our team, it is deeply painful,” said Gen. John W. Nicholson, commander of U.S. Forces-Afghanistan and Resolute Support. “Our sympathies go out to the families, loved ones, and the units of those involved in this incident. To those who continue to target Coalition forces, ANDSF, and Afghan civilians, RS and USFOR-A will continue to pursue our Train, Advise, and Assist mission to help our partners create a better Afghanistan.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Stocktrek/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — Mars is about to get a little more crowded.

After seven months of traveling through space aboard a Russian rocket, the ExoMars orbiter and Schiaparelli lander are set to enter the Martian atmosphere Wednesday.

ExoMars, a joint European Space Agency/Roscosmos mission, is designed to provide important clues about the possibility of life on the Red Planet.

Equipped with an array of spectrometers, the Trace Gas Orbiter is designed to circle the planet, analyzing methane and other atmospheric gases in search of evidence of biological and geological activity.

In the meantime, the Schiaparelli lander will touch down on the Meridiani Planum. Its battery will only last for a few days, but in that time the lander will provide crucial information about the surface of Mars, paving the way for future missions.

ESA is providing live coverage of the mission on Facebook and Livestream. On Thursday the first images from the Schiaparelli descent camera will be available, along with a mission status update.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Authorities are warning consumers about a new scam to steal their money — this time at the gas pump.

Criminals known as “skimmers” are installing devices that give them access to a driver’s bank and credit information.

“They can breach the gas pump and install them and they can be there for weeks or months without being discovered,” Chris Gagne, of the U.S. Secret Service Criminal Investigation Division, told ABC News.

While authorities recently alerted drivers about another kind of predator at the pump known as “sliders,” thieves who slip inside open cars and steal a victim’s valuables while filing up their tank, law enforcement officials say skimmers are even tougher to spot.

Gagne said his agency has noticed a “considerable increase” in credit card skimming.

One suspect was caught on surveillance footage breaking into a gas pump where he had installed a device to steal, or skim, credit card information off the magnetic strip.

It is impossible to tell just by looking at a gas pump if a device could be secretly recording your data. Some skimmers are so high-tech they immediately send out stolen information over Bluetooth.

Security officials recommend that drivers pay for their gas inside the station. They also suggest choosing a gas pump close to the attendant, because thieves normally set up the skimming devices out of sight. Monitoring your bank account frequently for fraudulent activity is another important habit to ward off suspicious charges.

Authorities are now training gas stations on how to detect skimming devices.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(MOSCOW) — An eight-hour “humanitarian pause” declared by Russia in Aleppo, Syria, during which Moscow has told fighters and civilians to leave besieged rebel districts, has begun. But doubts have already been raised about the credibility of the pause, with the United Nations saying it needs longer to get relief in and the United States suggesting it may be “too little, too late.”

Meanwhile, several residents of the besieged part of Aleppo say that leaving is not a real option and that they view the cease-fire as a media stunt.

“There is no sound of planes, but we can still hear shootings on the ground,” Wissam Zarqa, a teacher in the besieged Aleppo’s al-Mashhad neighborhood, told ABC News. “The government is still trying to advance. As long as fighting and clashes are ongoing it is not possible for civilians to leave. Some elderly people who can’t keep living under siege might want to leave but they can’t because it’s not safe.”

Even if he felt that it were safe for him to leave, he would choose to stay, he said.

“We don’t feel like leaving our homes and becoming refugees,” he said. “None of my friends are considering leaving.”

Russia’s military said it and the Syrian government were halting bombings from the air on Tuesday to prepare for the pause, which was announced on Monday, offering a brief respite from relentless airstrikes on the rebel-held part of the besieged city that has seen hundreds killed in recent weeks.

On Monday, 14 members of the same family, including eight children, were killed after their home was hit by an airstrike, according to activists in Aleppo and the White Helmets, a volunteer civil defense group that operates in rebel-held Syria. Humanitarian organizations have criticized the Syrian and Russian governments for the intense airstrikes and for reported use of chemical weapons and bunker-buster bombs, which can target people sheltering underground.

Russia’s defense ministry said the pause was being held so civilians and rebel fighters could leave the city, saying two corridors would be opened for fighters and six more for civilians. The ministry said that Syrian government troops would pull back to allow fighters past, and pledged to guarantee the safety of civilians leaving and to allow aid organizations into the city to provide relief.

But within minutes of the pause’s formal start, at 8 a.m. local time, a senior Russian diplomat condemned rebel groups for refusing to leave and accused them of keeping civilians there as human shields. The U.N. and aid groups also warned that the pause was not sufficient to achieve the relief Moscow was suggesting.

Since July, the city of Aleppo has been the center of intense fighting and is currently undergoing an unprecedented humanitarian crisis, according to the U.N. Intense shelling has led to the destruction of hospitals, schools, roads and markets and severely affected civilian access to water and electricity.

The U.N.’s humanitarian spokesman said that while it welcomed any pause in the violence around Aleppo, more time was needed if relief workers were to be able to reach the city.

“We will use whatever pause we have to do whatever we can,” Stephane Dujarric, a U.N. spokesman, told reporters in New York. “Obviously there is a need for a longer pause to get trucks in.”

The international aid group, Doctors Without Borders, also said the pause was too short for them to evacuate the wounded safely and to reach those in the city.

Another U.N. spokesman said that Russia had informed them that it intended to hold two more eight-hour pauses on “consecutive days” this week. Russia’s military has yet to announce that publicly.

Jens Laerke of the U.N. humanitarian coordinator OCHA said that without guarantees for relief workers’ safety from all sides in the city it was impossible for them to enter.

Russia has meanwhile said it will also begin work on defining which groups should be labeled terrorists and which can be considered moderate opposition in Aleppo, without the participation of the U.S. Agreeing upon which groups could be labeled as terrorists, particularly the al-Qaeda affiliate Jabhat al-Nusra, had been a key condition for the cease-fire deal that collapsed in late September amid renewed bombing by Russian and Syrian government aircraft on Aleppo.

Russia has previously been disdainful of any distinction between moderate rebel groups and those recognized as terrorists, saying it was the obligation of the U.S., which is supporting some of the rebels to do so. The U.S. ceased cooperation with Russia following the cease-fire’s collapse, accusing Russia of not working in good faith.

Russia’s defense minister, Sergei Shoigu, said on Tuesday that Russian experts were already in Geneva, Switzerland, to begin discussions with the U.N. and other countries that have supported the rebels to begin work on identifying the different groups operating inside the war-torn country.

The U.S. and United Kingdom have both voiced skepticism about the pause, suggesting it is insufficient.

Britain’s foreign secretary, Boris Johnson, rejected the Russian plan as currently not credible: “A durable and convincing cease-fire must be delivered by the Assad regime before any such proposal can conceivably be made to work.”

U.S. State Department spokesman Mark Toner said on Tuesday that a pause would “be a good thing” but that after months of “near-constant bombing,” intended “to starve out and drive out the opposition and civilians,” it was a “bit too little, too late.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →