About the author  ⁄ WFIN

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — With calls growing louder for the Obama administration to take action about alleged wrongdoing that led to the deaths of as many as 40 veterans, the White House said Tuesday that Rob Nabors, a deputy chief of staff, would assist in the investigation of the Phoenix VA hospital where the deaths occurred, and would also help look into charges at other facilities.

Before Nabors arrives in Phoenix, he will meet Wednesday with members from several veterans organizations to hear their concerns.

The scandal surrounding allegations that VA officials fudged records to disguise wait times in Phoenix and elsewhere is threatening to become a major issue that Republicans will likely exploit during a mid-term election year in which Democrats are vulnerable and President Obama’s popularity is hovering at an all-time low.

The American Legion and some top GOP lawmakers have demanded the resignation of VA Secretary Eric Shinseki, claiming, at the very least, that he has been ineffectual in his post.

However, House Speaker John Boehner says that letting go of Shinseki now would make it more difficult to get to the root of the problems plaguing the Veterans Affairs Department.

Meanwhile, House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has insisted Obama “take responsibility” for an alleged secret list that officials used to manipulate backlog data at the VA, adding that he was “disturbed” to learn that the president claims to have only heard about the damaging allegation in the news.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Stan Grossfeld/The Boston Globe via Getty Images(MANSFIELD, Ohio) — Tough Mudder, races that have acquired a reputation for dangerous obstacles and bizarre injuries, experienced another setback recently when a rescue diver’s heart stopped in the middle of a race in Ohio.

The diver, whose name has not been released, was stationed in the water at the Walk-the-Plank obstacle in Mansfield, Ohio, where racers are required to jump off a 15-foot platform into cold, muddy water, according to Tough Mudder spokesman Ben Johnson. Johnson could not confirm details of what happened to the diver, but race participant Bret Buike said he was the one to notice the diver and helped save his life.

“We just happened to be in the right place at the right time,” Buike told ABC News. “We were able to act quickly enough that it seems like we potentially saved this man’s life.”

This was the same type of obstacle where 28-year-old Avishek Sengupta drowned after another racer jumped into the water on top of him in April 2012 during a Tough Mudder race in West Virginia, Sengupta’s family claimed in a wrongful death lawsuit filed against Tough Mudder earlier this month.

The race promises to be “Probably the Toughest Event on the Planet,” and has obstacles with names like “Fire in Your Hole,” “Electric Eel” and “Arctic Enema.”

Researchers examined emergency room visits following a Tough Mudder in Allentown, Pennsylvania, in a study published by the American College of Emergency Physicians in 2013, and reported that they encountered one Tough Mudder racer who received 13 electric shocks on the course, which caused heart inflammation. Another racer had a stroke and suffered temporary paralysis, according to the study.

Read about the other potential risks associated with obstacle races here.

Buike, a former paramedic who was participating in the Ohio race last weekend, told ABC News he was about to jump off the platform, when he noticed a rescue diver below who didn’t look right.

“I yelled down to see if he was OK,” Buike said, adding that a few other people followed suit. But the diver didn’t answer.

When another lifeguard bumped the rescue diver with a flotation device and the diver still didn’t move, Buike said he sprang into action. He jumped off the platform, swam to the diver, and helped pull the man out of the water with help from three other people, he said.

“I wasn’t sure what was wrong with him at first,” he said. “As soon as we got him out of the water, the first thing you do is check for a pulse, and there wasn’t one.”

They started CPR, and cut the man’s wet suit off, Buike said. Soon, someone rushed over with a defibrillator, and another person began breathing for the diver with a mask attached to a squeezable bag called an AMBU bag, he said.

Once Tough Mudder personnel seemed to have the situation under control, Buike said he moved on and finished the race. That night, he learned that the man survived but was in critical condition. The rescue diver’s family passed on their gratitude through the Tough Mudder organization, he said.

Johnson said what happened at the Walk-the-Plank Obstacle was the result of a “personal health issue,” and “not an accident or injury on site.” The diver also wore a “buoyancy compensator device,” which kept his head above water the entire time, Johnson said.

“This type of medical incident could have occurred anywhere on course,” Johnson said. “Tough Mudder is conducting an investigation, as is our protocol, and we remain deeply confident in the response from our expert medical staff on-site.”

At the time of Sengupta’s death, Tough Mudder said Sengupta’s was “the first fatality in the three-year history of the company,” and that the event “was staffed with more than 75 ALS, EMT, paramedics, water rescue technicians and emergency personnel.”
Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Oli Scarff/Getty Images(HALIFAX, Nova Scotia) — Prince Charles caused a stir in what was supposed to be a celebratory visit to Canada, likening Russian President Vladimir Putin’s actions in Ukraine to Nazi actions in Europe.

The Prince of Wales reportedly told Marienne Ferguson, a Polish refugee who emigrated to Canada in 1939 just before the Nazi occupation, that “now Putin is doing some of the things Hitler was doing.”

Ferguson, in an interview with the Daily Mail, concurred with the assessment.

“I must say that I agree with him and am sure a lot of people do,” she said. “I was very surprised that he made the comment, as I know they [members of the Royal Family] aren’t meant to say these things, but it was very heartfelt and honest.”

Ferguson escorted Prince Charles around Canada’s National Museum of Immigration Monday, telling him how she fled the city of Gdansk in Poland with her family for Canada when she was 13. She survived, but several of her relatives were killed in Nazi concentration camps.

Clarence House released a statement on the matter.

“We do not comment on private conversations. But we would like to stress that the Prince of Wales would not seek to make a public political statement during a private conversation,” the statement reads.

Members of the Royal Family shy away from making statements that might be construed as political in any way.

The Prince of Wales is due to meet Putin at events honoring the 70th anniversary of D-Day next month in Normandy.

BBC Royal correspondent Peter Hunt told ABC News that Charles’s comments have had ramifications.

“This was an unplanned foray into a vexed international issue. Charles’s supporters will argue his views are in tune with those who’ve been appalled by the Russian president’s actions in Ukraine. His critics believe an unelected future head of state should be seen and not heard,” Hunt said.

ABC US News | International News

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — They’re among society’s most trusted and revered: police officers, firefighters and nurses. The very people sworn to uphold the law and keep people safe are now accused of committing crimes beyond comprehension, ABC News has learned.

Federal agents and prosecutors in and around New York City are prepared to announce several dozen arrests, including police officers, firefighters, nurses, a rabbi, a youth baseball coach and Boy Scout leader, all of whom are accused of creating and distributing child pornography, a senior law enforcement official told ABC News.

Agents found these suspects on peer-to-peer file sharing networks, sources say. The agents seized hard drives and devices that are expected to lead to even more suspects and more charges.

The arrests represent one month’s work by agents from Homeland Security Investigations, who use special filters to search file sharing networks for individuals who possess, produce or distribute sexually explicit images of children.

The arrests were carried out mainly in New York City and surrounding suburbs but are expected to lead to “hundreds” of so-called collaterals, other arrests around the country once agents track all the data from every computer hard drive seized.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(BAKERSFIELD, Calif.) — The cheers keep coming for Tara the tabby cat: Last week, she was seen saving her owner’s 4-year-old son from an attack by a neighborhood dog. Tuesday night, she and the boy threw out the first pitches at a minor league baseball game.

The crowd cheered as the boy, Jeremy Triantafilo of Bakersfield, California, threw the very first pitch at the Bakersfield Blaze game.

Then Tara stepped up, held by Jeremy’s father, Roger Triantafilo. At first, Tara’s attempts to throw out a pitch by swatting a ball guided by a string failed. So Roger Triantafilo simply grabbed a ball and guided Tara’s paw. As the pitch sailed, the crowd cheered.

ABC US News | International News

Tara went berserk on a neighborhood dog attacking Jeremy. As the dog bit the boy’s leg, Tara was seen on a viral video coming out of nowhere and hurling her body at the dog, disrupting the attack and chasing the dog away.

See the Video: Cat Saves Boy

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

ABC/ Rick Rowell(NEW YORK) — Lady Gaga doesn’t talk a lot about her personal life, which is why she was cagey when asked by Extra where she sees herself in five years.

“Well, I’ll be making music,” the singer replied. When pressed by the interviewer as to whether she might be married, Gaga, who dates actor Taylor Kinney, said, “Will I be married? I don’t know. I mean, I could be.”

When further pressed on whether she might have babies, Gaga said, “In five years? I could be. I mean, who’s to say, really? I mean, I haven’t…I don’t have my life planned out that way.”

Then, turning the attention back to her current projects, Gaga added, “I’m actually, more than ever, truly trying to live in the moment and really just enjoy this time right now…with my team, with my new puppy, with ARTPOP.”

In that same interview, Gaga said she’s opposed to any artists who lip sync in concert. “I don’t think it’s cool to lip sync,” she said. “I’m not judging if people do, because it’s everybody’s own style of what they decided to be, the type of artist they will be. But I think if you pay money for a ticket to see a show, the artist should f**king have some pipes and sing their records for you.”
Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images(SAN FRANCISCO) — Already facing a lawsuit over concussions, the NFL is now being sued by former players who charge that the league pumped them full of drugs illegally during their playing careers, causing addiction and other health complications.

The complaint filed in San Francisco Tuesday alleges that the NFL knowingly gave players narcotics and other painkillers to help them play through injuries. The lawsuit also charges that players were not informed about the extent of their injuries, which included broken legs and ankles.

Eight players, including three members of the NFL champion 1985 Chicago Bears, brought the suit. Their lawyers are also seeking class-action status, claiming that 500 other former players have also signed on.

An NFL spokesman commented, “We have not seen the lawsuit and our attorneys have not had an opportunity to review it.”

Earlier this year, U.S. District Judge Anita B. Brody refused to give approval to the $765 million settlement worked out by the NFL and lawyers for 20,000 ex-players who suffered concussion-like injuries during their careers. Brody told the lawyers to revisit the settlement, suggesting that the compensation might not be enough.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) — The National Basketball Association has accused suspended Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, his wife and the team president of conspiring to get assistant V. Stiviano to change her story about a recording in which Sterling disparaged African-Americans.

That tape, posted on TMZ last month, has led to Sterling’s suspension, a $2.5 million fine, and his possible loss of ownership of the Clippers.

The Los Angeles Times reported that Stiviano told Chief NBA Investigator David Anders on May 2 that Sterling asked her to say that the voice on the recording wasn’t his and that she had altered the tape.

Furthermore, Stiviano alleged that Sterling asked that she settle a lawsuit filed against her by wife Shelley Sterling and that he would later reimburse her.

Meanwhile, the NBA also says that an unnamed employee of the Clippers played a copy of the recording for team President Andy Roeser two weeks before it went public. After Roeser told Sterling about it, the league said Sterling ordered the team president to have the recording deleted from a phone along with all related text messages that came from Stiviano.

The NBA further alleges that a day before TMZ posted the recording, Sterling, Roeser and Shelley Sterling worked out a statement that said in part ““We have heard the tape on TMZ. We do not know if it is legitimate or if it has been altered.”

Attorney Max Blecher, who is representing Donald Sterling, had no immediate comment about the latest allegations.

Sterling has until May 27 to respond to the NBA’s charges with a hearing and vote by 29 owners to decide on Sterling’s future set for June 3.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Mike McGinnis/Getty Images(BOSTON) — Stephen Drew is back with the Boston Red Sox.

Drew has agreed to a one-year deal with Boston after the shortstop rejected a $14.1 million qualifying offer from the team during the offseason. He had hoped to land a multiyear contract with another team, but it never came to fruition.

The deal will reportedly pay Drew $10.2 million for the remainder of the season if he passes a physical. He is currently in Boston and will undergo tests on Wednesday.

“We have the ability, provided all things work out, we’ve added a very good player to improve this team,” Red Sox manager John Farrell said Tuesday. “That’s the thing Ben (Cherington) and ownership have repeatedly shown: when a need exists, they’ll do whatever is capable and whatever is available to improve the team.

“Stephen’s return to us could very well do that. It will add stability to the left side of the infield.”

If Drew passes his physical, he will need some time in the minor leagues before being able to play with the Red Sox. Once he is ready to return, he is expected to man the shortstop position with Xander Bogaerts moving to third base.

Drew hit .254 with 13 home runs and 67 RBIs for the Red Sox last season, helping them capture the 2013 World Series championship.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

National Basketball Association(NEW YORK) — For the second year in a row and third time in the past four, the Cleveland Cavaliers will have the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft.

Cleveland entered Tuesday night’s draft lottery in the ninth spot and had a less than two percent chance of winning the top selection, but luck was clearly on their side yet again with general manager David Griffin on the podium.

“It seems surreal,” Cavs vice chairman Jeff Cohen said. “This is three out of four years, and we had a 1.7 percent chance of coming up with the first pick and we pulled it off again.”

The Cavaliers used the top pick in the 2011 draft to select point guard Kyrie Irving, who has blossomed into an All-Star. They took forward Anthony Bennett with last year’s No. 1 selection, but he had a disappointing rookie season.

With another top pick in the fold, the Cavaliers can choose between the likes of Andrew Wiggins and Joel Embiid of Kansas, or Duke’s Jabari Parker from what’s considered by many to be the deepest draft class in years.

The Milwaukee Bucks had the NBA’s worst record last season at 15-67. They came into the lottery with a 25 percent chance of winning the top pick, but they fell to second. The Philadelphia 76ers will draft third, with the Orlando Magic and Utah Jazz rounding out the top five.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →