About the author  ⁄ WFIN

Noel Vasquez/Getty Images(LOS ANGELES) — Mila Kunis and her fiancee, former That 70’s Show co-star Ashton Kutcher, are expecting a girl, sources tell Us Weekly.

One source tells the magazine that Kunis, 30, “absolutely loves being pregnant.”

A friend of the couple says Kutcher, 36, “is doting on Mila,” while another notes the Two and a Half Men star is already lining up play dates with the couple’s old That ’70s Show co-star Danny Masterson and his two-month-old daughter Fianna.

This will be the first child for both, though Kutcher isn’t new to raising kids.

Kutcher was married to Demi Moore from 2005 to 2013 and was stepdad to her three daughters with ex-husband Bruce Willis. One of the sources says Kutcher “got plenty of practice with Demi’s girls.”

The couple has never publicly confirmed the pregnancy.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Park Young-Chul-Donga Daily via Getty Images(SEOUL, South Korea) — The captain of a ferry that sank off the coast of South Korea Wednesday, leaving nearly 300 people missing, is under investigation as a criminal and was one of the first people to escape the doomed vessel, Coast Guard officials said.

Lee Joon-seok, 69, left the ferry on a lifeboat 32 minutes after reporting an accident, officials said.

The captain appeared on Korean television Thursday, his face covered by a gray hoodie.

“I am really sorry and deeply ashamed,” he said, as he was being questioned at the Mokpo Coast Guard Office.

About 290 people remain missing following the accident, with nine fatalities confirmed and the death toll expected to rise.

Hundreds of Navy and Coast Guard divers are battling murky conditions on Thursday, searching for survivors. But as the hours pass, relatives of the missing passengers are losing hope.

So far, 179 people been rescued.

Text messages sent by passengers to loved ones offer a glimpse into the desperate situation inside the crippled vessel.

“Dad, don’t worry. I’ve got a life vest on and we’re huddled together,” one student, identified only by her last name, Shin, texted her father, according to MBC News, a Korean news station.

The father replied: “I know the rescue is underway but make your way out if you can.”

“Dad, I can’t walk out,” she replied. “The corridor is full of kids, and it’s too tilted.”

The student was among the missing passengers, many of them high schoolers at Danwon High School in Ansan. The students were on a class trip.

Thursday’s rescue efforts have been marked by rain, strong wind, currents and fog — as well as a lack of organization. Coast guard crews tried to inject air into the boat, but that endeavor was unsuccessful due to the poor weather conditions.

Additionally, the rescue operation center had difficulty communicating with search crews at the sinking site, which is about an hour’s boat ride from Jindo Island.

Relatives of passengers yelled at authorities, demanding answers and seeking miracles at Jindo Island. Some family members visited the location where the passengers are believed to have been trapped.

Other parents gathered at Danwon High School, holding a candlelight vigil.

The only hope is that maybe, somehow the passengers are alive, saved by a pocket of air.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Park Young-Chul-Donga Daily via Getty Images(SEOUL, South Korea) — The captain of a ferry that sank off the coast of South Korea Wednesday, leaving nearly 300 people missing, is under investigation as a criminal and was one of the first people to escape the doomed vessel, Coast Guard officials said.

Lee Joon-seok, 69, left the ferry on a lifeboat 32 minutes after reporting an accident, officials said.

The captain appeared on Korean television Thursday, his face covered by a gray hoodie.

“I am really sorry and deeply ashamed,” he said, as he was being questioned at the Mokpo Coast Guard Office.

About 290 people remain missing following the accident, with nine fatalities confirmed and the death toll expected to rise.

Hundreds of Navy and Coast Guard divers are battling murky conditions on Thursday, searching for survivors. But as the hours pass, relatives of the missing passengers are losing hope.

So far, 179 people been rescued.

Text messages sent by passengers to loved ones offer a glimpse into the desperate situation inside the crippled vessel.

“Dad, don’t worry. I’ve got a life vest on and we’re huddled together,” one student, identified only by her last name, Shin, texted her father, according to MBC News, a Korean news station.

The father replied: “I know the rescue is underway but make your way out if you can.”

“Dad, I can’t walk out,” she replied. “The corridor is full of kids, and it’s too tilted.”

The student was among the missing passengers, many of them high schoolers at Danwon High School in Ansan. The students were on a class trip.

Thursday’s rescue efforts have been marked by rain, strong wind, currents and fog — as well as a lack of organization. Coast guard crews tried to inject air into the boat, but that endeavor was unsuccessful due to the poor weather conditions.

Additionally, the rescue operation center had difficulty communicating with search crews at the sinking site, which is about an hour’s boat ride from Jindo Island.

Relatives of passengers yelled at authorities, demanding answers and seeking miracles at Jindo Island. Some family members visited the location where the passengers are believed to have been trapped.

Other parents gathered at Danwon High School, holding a candlelight vigil.

The only hope is that maybe, somehow the passengers are alive, saved by a pocket of air.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Park Young-Chul-Donga Daily via Getty Images(SEOUL, South Korea) — The search resumed Thursday for 287 people still missing after a ferry sank off the coast of South Korea the day before. Nine passengers are confirmed dead with 179 having been rescued.

Many of those unaccounted for are teenagers who were on a school trip.

Volunteers from all over the country, including scuba divers and ex-Marines, are joining in on the search. But rescue efforts are being hampered by poor weather conditions, strong underwater currents and a total lack of organization.

Investigators still don’t know what caused the ferry with 475 on board to suddenly tilt to one side Wednesday and go down although speculation is that the vessel might have hit a reef. Some experts say the captain may have tried a sudden turn, causing cargo to lean to one side.

The ferry, identified as the Sewol, was sailing to the southern island of Jeju when it sent a distress call as it began leaning.

Three cranes that will be used to lift the ship are expected to arrive on Friday.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Andrew Burton/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has invested millions of his own fortune into the push for stricter gun laws. Now, he’s upping the ante by pledging up to $50 million this year alone to a newly formed gun control organization that hopes to rival the influence of the powerful National Rifle Association.

Bloomberg’s group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns, has joined forces with Moms Demand Action under a new umbrella group, Everytown for Gun Safety. The group’s goals are to expand background checks at the state and federal levels and drive one million gun control supporters to the voting booths in November.

“What we are building here is a counter weight to the gun lobby. The truth is that the gun lobby has had this territory to themselves both in Washington and in state houses across the country and our job is to change that,” John Feinblatt, president of Everytown for Gun Safety, said Wednesday during a conference call.

“I think the NRA should be very afraid of Americans, who’ve had enough of the gun violence in this country and in particular moms,” Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action and a board member for Everytown for Gun Safety, said. “Moms are afraid our children will be taken away and in the end, I think that’s the emotion that will win the debate.”

But the new organization, whose board includes billionaire Warren Buffett and former Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge, has a heavy lift ahead as it looks to challenge the NRA, which carries heavy political influence with lawmakers in conservative states.

Asked to comment, NRA spokesman Andreew Arulanandam said, “See you in Indianapolis next week. We will have a lot more to say then” — referring to the organization’s annual meeting.

During the gun debate last year, Bloomberg’s group and the NRA went head to head over background check legislation.

At the time, Bloomberg even poured $12 million in advertisements into 13 states to convince senators to vote in favor of gun control legislation. Bloomberg’s return on investment was not very good. The Senate ultimately dealt gun control advocates a major blow when it failed to pass legislation expanding requirements for background checks before purchasing a firearm.

Four Democrats voted against the bill, including two senators who are up for re-election this year in conservative states — Sens. Mark Begich, D-Alaska, and Mark Pryor, D-Ark. It’s those red states that could act as a major roadblock for future gun control legislation on the federal level as the NRA wields enormous influence with lawmakers in those states.

While he was handed defeat in the Senate, Bloomberg isn’t just looking at the federal level as a gauge on a return on his investment in the gun control cause. Feinblatt pointed to successes on the state level, including the states that have passed comprehensive background checks.

“We measure this in terms of lives saved and when you have 160 people in Colorado who would have gotten their hands on guns not getting their hands on guns, that has saved lives and you can’t put a price tag on that,” Feinblatt said.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

The White House(WASHINGTON) — A new book claims Vice President Joe Biden blindsided the White House when he told NBC’s Meet the Press on May 6, 2012 that he was “absolutely comfortable with” same-sex marriage and that gay and lesbian couples “are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties,” Politico reports.

According to author Jo Becker, whose Forcing the Spring hits bookstores next week, the administration’s assertions that Biden was sent as a trial balloon were not accurate and some aides wanted President Obama to come down hard on Biden, which he didn’t.

Forcing the Spring details the strides the LGBT community has made in getting same-sex marriage legalized over the past few years.

Biden, who was speaking entirely off the cuff, basically forced the president’s hand. In a tweet after Meet the Press, Obama senior adviser David Axelrod wrote, “What VP said-that all married couples should have exactly the same legal rights-is precisely POTUS’s position.”

Since it was an election year, Obama was apparently agonizing about when to show his support for same-sex marriage. However, on May 10, 2012, he did just that in an interview with ABC News’ Robin Roberts.

The president described his thought process as an “evolution” that led him to this place, based on conversations with his own staff members, openly gay and lesbian service members, and conversations with his wife and own daughters.

In 2004, as a candidate for the U.S. Senate, Obama cited his own religion in framing his views: “I’m a Christian. I do believe that tradition and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman.”

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Erkan Avci/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — The State Department says that Americans shouldn’t get too worked up over a recent video showing what appears to be a gathering of al Qaeda’s dangerous Yemen affiliate, al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

The video, which was posted on Islamic militant websites two weeks ago, features AQAP leader Nasir al-Wahishi addressing dozens of fighters.

According to the translation, Wahishi tells his followers, “The enemy crusader still has cards to play. We must remember that we are always fighting against the big enemy. We must eliminate the cross held by the cross bearer America.”

Wahishi joined al Qaeda before the 9/11 terror attacks on the U.S. and escaped from a maximum security prison in Yemen in 2006.

As threatening as the new video might sound, State Department spokesperson Marie Harf told reporters at a Wednesday press briefing, “I don’t think this increases our concern because quite frankly our concern was already incredibly high.”

Top U.S. officials have previously described AQAP as the most dangerous of the al Qaeda affiliates, more so than the terror group’s core cadre led by Ayman al-Zawahiri in southwest Asia.

Harf said as much at the briefing, adding, “We know they’ve been gaining in strength. We have been increasingly concerned about them, as I said, since 2009. That’s why we’ve worked increasingly to counter the threat from AQAP in a variety of different ways.”

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Allison Shelley/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — The Center for Auto Safety says according to its analysis of documents General Motors turned over to Congress, GM designed an adequate ignition switch but rejected it in favor of a cheaper, less safe option in 2001.

In a timeline submitted weeks ago to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, GM acknowledged that the company knew of problems with the ignition switch in 2001. It had also been revealed that the automaker changed the ignition switch without changing the part number.

While this information has already become public knowledge, the Center for Auto Safety claims its analysis reveals new information not previously evident to the public: 1) GM had a safer switch in 2001 and did not use it, and 2) The company did return to that safer switch many years later under the same part number “in a silent remedy that went undiscovered until 2013.”

The auto safety lobbyist group said “smoking gun” documents submitted to Congress prior to Barra’s testimony included an engineering drawing that shows GM’s return to the safer design in 2006.

On Wednesday, the Center for Auto Safety revealed its findings in a letter sent to GM CEO Mary Barra:

“Were you briefed on these internal General Motors documents prior to your testimony before Congress? Since they were submitted to Congress before you testified, surely your engineering staff should have told you about the shocking contents of these documents. They paint a tragic picture of the cost culture and cover up at General Motors. The conclusion we draw from examining the two different designs of the ignition switches under consideration in 2001 is that General Motors picked a smaller and cheaper ignition switch that cost consumers their lives and saved General Motors money. The documents show that when General Motors changed the ignition switch in 2006, it did not have to develop a new more robust design because GM engineers had already designed the safer switch that GM previously rejected in 2001.”

GM is not making any definitive statements on these matters until their internal investigation is complete. The results of that investigation will not be released for at least another month.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images(CHICAGO, Ill.) — Jackie Bradley, Jr. hit a double down the right field line to score two runs and give the Boston Red Sox a 6-4 lead in the top of the 14th inning against the White Sox on Wednesday night. Chicago ran out of pitchers in the game and was forced to send infielder Leury Garcia to the hill in the 14th.

Boston (6-9) took a lead in the first when Xander Bogaerts singled to drive in Dustin Pedroia for the first run of the game. The White Sox scored the next three runs, taking a 3-1 lead on Alexi Ramirez’s two-run homer in the sixth. Ramirez went 1-for-6 and tied a franchise record for consecutive games with a hit to start the season at 15. That looked to be enough even after the Red Sox added a run on AJ Peirzynski’s sacrifice fly in the top of the eight.

However, Maikel Cleto walked the first two batters he faced in the top of the ninth before being relieved by Matt Lindstrom who promptly got David Ortiz to fly out. After a Johnny Gomes infield single loaded the bases, Grady Sizemore hit a sacrifice fly to tie things up and help force extra innings.

Chicago (8-7) rallied in extras after Gomes’ sac fly gave the Red Sox a 4-3 lead in the top of the 11th inning. Travis Flowers singled off reliever Edward Mujica to plate Jor Danks and ensure that the contest would continue. Garcia took the mound in the top of the 14th, retiring the first two batters he faced. Boston then worked two walks before Bradley recorded his first hit of the game to break the tie.

Chris Capuano (1-0) got the win going two and two-thirds innings in relief as Burke Badenhop got the final out of the game, replacing Capuano in the bottom of the 14th, for his first save of the year. Garcia (0-1) took the loss as White Sox pitchers walked 15 batters in the game.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

ABC News(AVON, Ind.) — From the drama club and orchestra to the lacrosse team and even Homecoming Court, kids from every corner of Avon High School came together in spirit and song recently for a fundraising cause.

The cast of thousands – all students from the Avon, Ind., school located in a suburb of Indianapolis – turned up to sing seamlessly through not just the Teen Top 40, but 68 songs, all in 6.5 minutes.

The video took one take and was posted to YouTube.

“This video, this lip-dub was to raise awareness, to get people excited about going to the Riley Dance Marathon and support that cause,” assistant principal Kellie Rodkey said.

Rodkey said last year’s Avon Dance Marathon had raised nearly $17,000 for Riley Hospital for Children so this year the students set a goal of $20,000.

A student cameraman rolled along in a chair Thursday as it was pushed by a teacher holding an iPod. After six weeks of planning, enlisting participants and mapping out the school, it all came together flawlessly.

“This is probably the most fun thing I’ve done in my teaching career,” math teacher and video director Adam Clarke said. “Everybody was on board…The message in the video is…we are Avon.”

ABC US News | ABC Business News

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →