11/13/14 – 4:54 A.M.
Several parks around Hancock County will get upgrades in 2015 thanks to grants from the Hancock Park District. The board approved $96,000 in grants for proposed improvements during their Wednesday meeting. Some of the larger grants included more than $12,000 to repair four baseball and softball fields in Van Buren and more than $14,000 to upgrade two parking lots, a basketball court and a tennis court at Island Park in Mount Blanchard.
The village of Vanlue will get $10,000 to install sound damping material on the walls and ceiling of the community center.
The park district has been giving grants to the cities and villages in Hancock County since 1977.
• Allen Township/Van Buren — Repair four baseball and softball fields “due to wear and tear caused by extra play in 2014,” $12,715.
Read More →
• Arcadia — Build a roof structure over the patio adjacent to the community building, $9,800.
• Arlington — Install outfield fence to the only remaining field without fencing, and add gates to dugouts for increased safety, $6,700.
• Benton Ridge — Seal/stripe parking lot and walk, $8,000.
• Findlay — Brick and concrete repairs at Allen P. Dudley bandshell in Riverside Park, $9,000.
• Fostoria — Seal asphalt path around reservoirs 2 and 3, $4,250.
• Jenera — Pave parking lot at community building; treat and seal walk at park and community building, $9,500.
• McComb — Install larger concrete culvert at bridge to reduce water backup and park flooding, about $4,184.
• Mount Blanchard — Upgrade two parking lots, basketball court and tennis court at Island Park; remove dead ash trees and stumps, $14,639.
• Mount Cory — Install new interior and exterior lighting at community building, $3,541.
• Rawson — Install chain link backstop at baseball field, about $3,670.
• Vanlue — Install sound-damping material on walls and ceiling in the community building to improve acoustics, $10,000.