About the author  ⁄ 

Courtesy Caitlin Fladager(NEW YORK) — A Canadian dad has decided to take his 3-year-old daughter out on monthly dates so she knows how she should be treated.

It all started last week when Noah Slomski, a father of two from Vancouver, British Columbia, wanted to take daughter Arianna out for cake and ice cream at Afterthoughts Dessert Restaurant.

Slomski’s wife of nearly three years, Caitlin Fladager, wrote in a now-viral Facebook post that her husband even helped “pick out a dress for her to wear, got a little purse ready for her, held the door open for her and made her feel like a princess.”

“She loved it [and] was so happy when she got home,” Fladager, 23, wrote of the date, which the restaurant confirmed to ABC News. “She will always know how she deserves to be treated because her dad sets such a high example.”

Fladager also posted photos from the outing, with more than 68,000 people “liking” it and more than 42,000 people “sharing” it on Facebook.

Slomski, 22, told ABC News he decided to make their “date” a monthly outing “so I can spend more time with her. We typically spend a lot of time together when I’m home from work anyway, but not just the two of us.”

The father of two hopes it will help facilitate more bonding with his daughter. He and his wife also have a 1-year-old son named Jack.

“All bonding time is good for strengthening a parent-child relationship, and time spent that differs from the usual routine is always enjoyable,” he said.

His wife agrees that the date night has already improved their relationship “very much.”

Fladager added that Arianna was “always very close to her dad, but I feel like they have an even tighter bond now.”

Although Slomski doesn’t have next month’s date “set in stone right now,” he hopes to plan a dinner or a brunch for his little girl.

He’s most looking forward to “splitting a milkshake, just little things like that.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Douglas Remley (Smithsonian)(WASHINGTON) — President-elect Donald Trump is no longer expected to visit the Smithsonian Museum of African American History and Culture in observance of Martin Luther King Day, senior level transition sources tell ABC News.

Senior sources initially said Trump would visit the museum, but ABC has learned that the visit was removed from his calendar due to scheduling issues and was not fully planned out.

Trump is expected to visit the museum sometime after he assumes office, the sources say. He will commemorate Martin Luther King Jr. Day in Washington, D.C., in another way, though details were not immediately available today.

News of the planned visit on Martin Luther King Day came Saturday as Trump drew ire from critics over a Twitter attack against Congressman and civil rights icon John Lewis.

Trump zeroed in on Lewis in tweets Saturday after the Democratic representative said in an interview with NBC that he doesn’t see Trump as a “legitimate president” following Russian interference in the election.

Trump in back-to-back tweets said Lewis was “falsely complaining about the election,” and called him “all talk, talk, talk — no action or results!”

Lewis is one of the last surviving central organizing figures of the U.S. civil rights movement and was beaten by police in a march for voting rights on the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama.

Congressman John Lewis should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart (not to……

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 14, 2017

mention crime infested) rather than falsely complaining about the election results. All talk, talk, talk – no action or results. Sad!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 14, 2017

Lewis introduced the original legislation to found the Smithsonian museum in 1988, and then fought for 15 years until the proposal was signed into law by President George W. Bush. He is also featured prominently in the museum’s exhibits, including in photos of him speaking at the 1963 March on Washington upon his arrest during the Freedom Rides for civil rights in 1961.

ABC has reached out to the Smithsonian and the Trump transition team for comment.

This story has been updated since its original publication to reflect the change in plans for visiting the African American museum.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

ABC News(NEW YORK) — Donald Trump’s press conference earlier this week — during which he notoriously shut down a CNN reporter for his outlet’s “fake news” — provided the fodder for this week’s episode of Saturday Night Live.

Alec Baldwin reprised his role as the Republican president-elect.

“Yes this is real, this is really happening,” said Baldwin’s Trump from a podium, where he addressed a room of reporters, during the cold open.

Just so we’re clear. #SNL pic.twitter.com/I92cqGTBIL

— Saturday Night Live (@nbcsnl) January 15, 2017

When a fictional reporter from Buzzfeed — which Trump described earlier this week as “a failing pile of garbage” after it published an unconfirmed, salacious report that Russia had compromising intelligence on him — attempted to ask a question, Baldwin’s Trump echoed the aforementioned sentiment, saying, “You’re a failing pile of garbage, I took your test yesterday and I’m a Joey not a Rachel!”

The cold open also poked fun at the Trump transition team’s apparent difficulty in securing musical acts and celebrities for inauguration day events. (Singer Jennifer Holliday, for example, announced Saturday she backed out of the inauguration.)

Trump on his inauguration line-up. #SNL pic.twitter.com/5vrij0OUUd

— Saturday Night Live (@nbcsnl) January 15, 2017

“Who is excited for my inauguration day?” said Baldwin’s Trump to a roar of applause. “Yes thank you to those people over there who I definitely did not pay to do that. And we have have got some of the biggest performers in the world lined up. Hold on to your t*** and bits, because we’ve got Three Doors Down.”

In a nod to 16-year-old singer Jackie Evancho, who’s slated to perform at the inauguration, Baldwin’s Trump continued, “Also from America’s Got Talent, we’ve got Jackie whats-her-face. Best of all we have the one Rockette with the least money in her savings. We’ve also got some huge A-List actors coming, like Angelina Jolie, Ryan Gosling and Jennifer Lawrence. They will all be at my inauguration courtesy of Madame Tussauds.”

The cold open also poked fun at Trump’s sons Donald Jr. and Eric, played by “SNL” cast members Mikey Day and Alex Moffat, respectively. “I’ve turned over all my businesses to my sons,” says Baldwin’s Trump. “Look at those two little American psychos.”

“I’ve turned over all my business to my sons.” #SNL pic.twitter.com/gZEqO75daK

— Saturday Night Live (@nbcsnl) January 15, 2017

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

ABC News(WASHINGTON) — Sen. Bernie Sanders said it “would not be a bad thing for the American people” if FBI Director James Comey steps down.

Asked by ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos in an exclusive interview on This Week if Comey should leave his post, Sanders responded, “I think he should take a hard look at what he has done and I think it would not be a bad thing for the American people if he did step down.”

The Department of Justice’s Office of the Inspector General announced Thursday that it will launch a review of the actions taken by the FBI and the Department of Justice as a whole ahead of November’s election in connection to the Hillary Clinton email investigation. The Justice Department watchdog will specifically look at whether Comey’s press conference and notifications to Congress about the investigation before the election were appropriate under the department’s guidelines.

“I think that Comey acted in an outrageous way during the campaign,” Sanders said. “No one can say that this was decisive, or this is what elected Trump, but clearly his behavior during the campaign in terms of what he said during the week or two before the election was unacceptable.”

Sanders added, “It is interesting that [Comey] is not doing investigations about the possible, possible tie-in between Trump’s campaign and the Russians.”

The FBI Director in a closed-door intelligence briefing for members of Congress refused to confirm or deny whether his agency is investigating possible contacts or connections between the Trump campaign and Russia, sources told ABC News.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the latest scores and winner

NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION
L.A. Clippers 113 L.A. Lakers 97
Chicago 107 New Orleans 99
Phoenix 108 San Antonio 105
Washington 109 Philadelphia 93
Utah 114 Orlando 107

NATIONAL HOCKEY LEAGUE
Boston 6 Philadelphia 3
Nashville 3 Colorado 2
Montreal 5 N-Y Rangers 4
Florida 4 Columbus 3
Carolina 7 N-Y Islanders 4
Toronto 4 Ottawa 2
Detroit 6 Pittsburgh 3
Minnesota 5 Dallas 4
Anaheim 3 Arizona 0
OT L.A. Kings 3 Winnipeg 2
SO Edmonton 2 Calgary 1
St. Louis 4 San Jose 0

NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE PLAYOFFS
Atlanta 36 Seattle 20
New England 34 Houston 16

TOP-25 COLLEGE BASKETBALL
(1) Baylor 77 (26) Kansas St. 68
(2) Kansas 87 Oklahoma St. 80
(3) Villanova 70 St. John’s 57
(4) UCLA 83 Utah 82
(5) Gonzaga 79 (21) Saint Mary’s (Cal) 56
(6) Kentucky 92 Auburn 72
(14) Louisville 78 (7) Duke 69
(8) Creighton 101 Truman State 69
(11) North Carolina 96 (9) Florida St. 83
(10) West Virginia 74 Texas 72
(12) Butler 83 (15) Xavier 78
(13) Oregon 85 Oregon St. 43
(19) Virginia 77 Clemson 73
(20) Notre Dame 76 Virginia Tech 71
OT (23) Florida 80 Georgia 76
Penn St. 52 (24) Minnesota 50

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Joe Faraoni/ESPN Images(FOXBOROUGH, Mass.) — The New England Patriots made history twice in their 34-16 Divisional Round win over the Houston Texans.

The team advanced to an NFL record sixth straight AFC Championship game behind an historic effort from running back Dion Lewis.

Lewis recorded three touchdowns in the game, becoming the first player in NFL history to score a receiving, rushing, and kick return touchdown all in one playoff game. He and Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill are the only two players to accomplish the feat since 1965.

The all-purpose running back also fumbled twice in the game, giving the Texans a chance to cut into the Patriots lead. He said afterwards he was pleased with the touchdowns, but was feeling disappointed that his fumbles gave Houston opportunities to get back in to the game.

Lewis missed most of the regular season due to a knee injury, and did not play many snaps when he returned as he worked his way back into the lineup.

Lewis has been a highly effective player since joining the Patriots last year. According to ESPN, the team has won fifteen straight games when he is on the field.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Joe Raedle/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — Thousands of immigrants and progressive allies packed the pews of the historic Metropolitan AME Church in Washington, D.C., Saturday morning with a clear message for President-elect Donald Trump: “We are here to stay.”

Attendees traveled from throughout the Northeast, many arriving by bus, and filled the chapel with cheers and chants of “El pueblo unido jamás será vencido” (“The people united will never be defeated”) and “No justice, no peace.” The lineup of speakers, which included elected officials, undocumented students, nonprofit leaders and clergy members, spoke in defiance to the positions proposed by the president-elect .

Martin Batalla was one of those speakers. He is a nursing student from New York and a recipient of DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) — an Obama administration policy that protects him from deportation.

“DACA changed my life, and it changed lots of people like me. I was able to get a work permit, I was able to finish school, graduate, and I was able to get out of the shadows,” he told ABC News.

Batalla said he has been in this country since he was 2 years old, when his family migrated from Mexico. He said he’s scared for what could come if DACA is repealed.

“We don’t know what’s going to happen with President Trump, everybody that’s in DACA,” he said. “We worked for it. If they take it away, we don’t know honestly.”

Jonathan Jimenez, a third-year student at Queens College, migrated with his family from Quito, Ecuador, when he was four. He told ABC News that he was not scared of what could come.

“I feel that this is what we need to do to show the Trump administration that we are unafraid and we’re willing to fight for our communities,” he said. “I myself am also a fighter, I’ve done a whole bunch of different martial arts over the years … this is, to me, a way of fighting.”

To qualify for DACA, applicants had to prove they were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012, came to the United States before age 16, lived here for at least five years continuously, attend or graduated from high school or college and have no criminal convictions. Roughly 750,000 people were issued temporary protected status and, separately, work authorization.

Because DACA was put in place through executive action and is overseen by the Department of Homeland Security, the policy could be immediately ended by the next secretary of the department.

Trump said on the campaign trail that he plans to reverse Obama’s executive actions and orders, which would include DACA.

If the Trump administration decides to end DACA, it would be at the discretion of DHS secretary to determine priorities and whether protected status is removed together with work permits.

Rep. Luis Gutierrez, D-Illinois, spoke passionately in both English and Spanish, promising the crowd that he would fight for people like them, like Batalla and Jimenez.

“I’m not going to rest until every mother and every dad has the same guarantee that I have, when I leave here I will return to my wife and to my children,” he said. “I will not rest until everyone that wakes up in the morning to go work hard, sweat and toil, guarantee that they return to their husbands, wives, and families.”

Sen. Chris van Hollen, D-Maryland, also voiced his commitment to protecting immigrant and civil rights.

“We are not going to allow Donald Trump to bury the Statue of Liberty,” van Hollen said. “We’re going to reaffirm that torch of Lady Liberty and say that we are a nation for all peoples regardless of religion, regardless of background, regardless of who you love. We are here for everybody.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office(WALTERBORO, S.C.) — Eighteen years after she was kidnapped as a baby, Kamiyah Mobley has reunited with her biological parents, while the woman she believed to be her mother remains behind bars.

Authorities in Jacksonville, Florida, revealed Friday they had found Mobley in Walterboro, South Carolina, after a tip led authorities to Gloria Williams, 51, and DNA testing proved Mobley’s identity.

Mobley’s biological father Craig Aiken said on Saturday he was grateful he could reunite with his daughter.

“First meeting was beautiful, wonderful,” he said. “Couldn’t have gone no better.”

Jacksonville Sheriff Mike Williams said Gloria Williams allegedly posed as a nurse at a Jacksonville hospital to kidnap Mobley eight hours after she was on born on July 10, 1998. She has raised Mobley as “Alexis Manigo” since she was abducted, according to police.

At Williams’ bond hearing on Friday, Mobley showed support for Williams, calling herself “her daughter, Alexis,” and told her she loved her and was “praying for her.”

Williams remains in Colleton County Jail in South Carolina without bond and is expected to be extradited to Jacksonville, which could take up to 20 days.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Orlando Police Department(ORLANDO, Fla.) — Thousands gathered in Orlando, Florida, on Saturday to mourn the death of a veteran police officer killed in a shooting this week as officials continue to search for her killer.

Master Sgt. Debra Clayton, who was posthumously promoted to lieutenant by Orlando Police Chief John Mina, was a wife and mother who served on the force for 17 years. She was gunned down while on duty Monday morning by a suspect accused of murdering a pregnant woman, police said.

Mina saluted her life’s “work to help our youth and make this a better place to live.” He added that Clayton last year was one of 10 out of 80 sergeants promoted to master sergeant.

“You exhibited the best in policing,” he said. “You set an example not just for officers but for all people.”

Authorities are offering a $100,000 reward for help capturing suspect Markeith Loyd, 41, but officials have said they believe people are harboring the suspect, which is considered a felony.

“We’re not going to stop looking for them, either,” Mina said earlier this week of those helping Loyd. “If people know of people who are harboring Markeith Loyd … they need to call 911.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Alex Wong/Getty Images)(WASHINGTON) — Ahead of President-elect Donald Trump’s inauguration in less than a week, thousands led by Rev. Al Sharpton gathered in Washington, D.C. for a rally organizers said was to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. and protect President Obama’s legacy.

In the “We Shall Not Be Moved” civil rights march organized by Sharpton’s National Action Network, demonstrators marched in the snow and rain from Washington Monument to the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial.

Sharpton told attendees that “talking loud, saying nothing, tweeting in the middle of the night” does not “make you great,” in an apparent reference to Trump’s Twitter comments about civil rights leader Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.). Lewis said Friday on NBC he did not consider Trump to be a “legitimate president.”

“Great is when you can look hate in the face and refuse to hate and become like the haters,” Sharpton said.

He also called on Democrats and “moderate Republicans to get some backbone.”

“You may switch presidents, but we just going to switch legs and keep on marching,” Sharpton said. “We won’t be back down. We won’t be trumped.”

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →