Review Category : Entertainment

Trey Songz Talks About Lacking Relationship with His Father

Image Courtesy James Dimmock/Atlantic Records

(NEW ORLEANS) — Trey Songz rarely talks about his father, Claude Neverson, Jr. It’s because the R&B singer hasn’t spoken to him in more than four years. Still, he recently opened up about his absent dad.

“I didn’t have a male figure in my life so I had my mother, I had all my aunties. The strength of them gave me a certain strength that I probably still wouldn’t have if my father was in my life,” Trigga told reporters after he kicked off the Essence Music Festival 2015 Thursday night in New Orleans at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome.

Trey is one of the many headliners at this year’s festival. On Thursday night, he was joined by Gospel singer Lecrae and comedian Kevin Hart. The three performed to a sold-out crowd of mostly black women, which left the singer gushing about them.

“I love black women to death from their hair, to the way they smell, to their eyes,” he said. “What’s amazing about that is having been to Africa now, South Africa…it’s a beautiful thing to see just the differences in us all — from…the texture of our hair, to the color of our skin. There’s so many different beautiful things about black women, I don’t think I could think about it all right here, right now.”

The Essence Music Festival continues throughout the Fourth of July weekend in New Orleans, featuring performances by Kendrick Lamar, Common, Erykah Badu, and Usher, among others.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Chris Daughtry Plays for the Troops, Chows Down on Fourth of July

RCA RecordsTo some, the Fourth of July means the beach, beer and barbecues, but Daughtry will spend that day being reminded of the true meaning of the holiday — they’ll be performing for the troops at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. “It’s just, like, the best crowd ever,” says Chris Daughtry.

“That’s gonna be fun. We always love playing for the troops. We’ve done many tours overseas and different military bases and it’s just like the best crowd ever,” Chris tells ABC Radio. “They’re so grateful and so awesome and they do all the hard work, you know?”

In fact, Chris explains why there’s really a different feel when they perform for the troops, as opposed to just a regular concert audience. “Because that’s their time to see the show. They can’t go next week; they can’t see it another time when you come back through. That’s their escape time, you know, and they don’t take that for granted,” he tells ABC Radio. “You know like a lot of people [are like], ‘Oh, well we saw them last month,’ or whatever.”

“I dunno, they just seem extremely grateful and it makes us even more proud to perform for ‘em,” he adds.

Just because Chris is performing on Saturday doesn’t mean he won’t get to barbecue, though. And when it comes to his favorite type of meat to cook over the coals, he’s an equal-opportunity eater. “You had me at ‘meat,'” he laughs. “Whatever, just throw it on the grill and I’ll eat it. I’m a caveman, I’ll eat the crap out of some meat!” He doesn’t want too much seasoning on it, either.

“I’m a big fan of spicy food but when it comes to red meat I don’t want it too spicy,” says the singer, who’s evidently quite the gourmand. “I don’t want it to overtake the flavor and the rotund and robustness of the red meat.”

One thing Chris probably won’t be able to do on the Fourth is shoot off fireworks: they’re illegal in North Carolina, and doing that on a military base probably isn’t advisable. However, the singer says when he was a kid, doing that was a big deal for him.

“I used to love shooting fireworks as a kid — get all the M-80s and the smoke bombs and go out and put ‘em on your G.I. Joes and see how far they’ll fly,” he laughs. “Some of ‘em went pretty good and they would explode!”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Trisha Yearwood Lives Up to Her Culinary Reputation on the 4th

Russ Harrington/Sunshine SachsHaving written three best-selling cookbooks and hosting her hit show, Trisha’s Southern Kitchen, on the Food Network, it’s no surprise that Independence Day at Grammy-winning country singer Trisha Yearwood’s house sounds like it lives up to her culinary reputation. But the Peach State native says she tends to stick to family traditions, like her mother’s coleslaw.

“4th of July at my house is one of my favorite holidays just because it’s all of my favorite summer foods,” she muses. “My dad was the grill master, and he used to make barbecue chicken for the whole town of Monticello, Georgia. We don’t make it for the whole town, but we do these ribs now that were a favorite of my mom that have kind of a thick, sweet sauce, and they’re part oven and part grill, and they say 4th of July to me.”

For dessert, Trisha tries to “go for something red, white and blue,” but often serves strawberry shortcake with whipped cream. In the afternoon, she’s a fan of the swimming pool, ahead of the evening’s pyrotechnics.

“My favorite part is watching the fireworks. Since marrying Garth [Brooks], we shoot off our own fireworks, which makes me a little bit nervous,” she admits. “But we also watch the whole town. You can see downtown fireworks in cities surrounding from our back porch. So, it’s pretty cool to just sit out and watch all the fireworks.”

This Friday, the exhibit honoring Trisha, called “The Song Remembers When,” opens at Nashville’s Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Longtime “Sesame Street” Regular Leaving the Show

Robin Marchant/Getty ImagesOne of Sesame Street‘s most beloved cast members is leaving the show.

During the American Library Association Annual Conference Monday, Sonia Manzano — best known as “Maria” on Sesame Street — announced she’s stepping down.

“After 45 years on Sesame Street, @SoniaMManzano will no longer appear on the next season,” the Library tweeted Monday.

Manzano, 65, has won 15 writing Emmys during her long tenure on Sesame Street, and was nominated twice as a performer.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Actress America Ferrera Thanks Donald Trump for Galvanizing Latino Vote; Trump’s Miss USA Pageant Finds New TV Home

ABC News

Actress America Ferrera, best known for her starring role in the ABC series Ugly Betty, took aim at Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump and his recent comments about Mexican immigrants in an open letter posted to the Huffington Post Thursday, thanking Trump for galvanizing Latino voters.

“What you did with you straight talk was send more Latino voters to the polls than several registration rallies combined!” she wrote. Noting that Latinos are youngest and fastest-growing constituency in the U.S., Ferrera wrote, “Thank you for reminding us that there remains an antiquated and endangered species of bigots in this country that we must continue to combat.”

In a June 16 speech announcing his big for the Republican presidential nomination, Trump referred to Mexican immigrants as “bringing drugs” and “bringing crime” to this country, and being “rapists.”

“The truth is, Mr. Trump, that your comments mean that you fail to see that immigrants are what have made this nation. They are at the core or our ideals, and they are the foundation that keeps us afloat,” Ferrera wrote, concluding, “No, Mr. Trump, you may not reduce us to drug dealser and rapists. We are moms and dads, sons and daughter. We are valedictorians and honor studies. We are college graduates, bankers, police officiers, entertains, teachers, journalists, politicans and we are the future of America.”

Meanwhile, after being dropped by NBC and Univision, Trump’s Miss USA Pageant has found a home on the Reelz cable network.

“The decision on the part of REELZ to acquire the rights to the Miss USA Pageant was based on our belief that this special event, and the women who compete in it, are an integral part of American tradition,” said Stan E. Hubbard, CEO of Reelz, in a statement on Thursday. ““As one of only a few independent networks, we decided to exercise our own voice and committed ourselves to bringing this pageant to American viewers everywhere.”

The pageant, scheduled to take place July 12, was dropped by NBC and Univision in response to comments Trump’s June 16 comments Since then Trump has filed a $500 million lawsuit against Univision claiming the network had no contractual right to terminate its deal with him; Trump also has suggested that he might sue NBC.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Donald Trump’s Miss USA Pageant Finds New TV Home

ABC NewsAfter being dropped by NBC and Univision, Donald Trump‘s Miss USA Pageant has found a home on the Reelz cable network.

“The decision on the part of REELZ to acquire the rights to the Miss USA Pageant was based on our belief that this special event, and the women who compete in it, are an integral part of American tradition,” said Stan E. Hubbard, CEO of Reelz, in a statement on Thursday. ““As one of only a few independent networks, we decided to exercise our own voice and committed ourselves to bringing this pageant to American viewers everywhere.”

The pageant, scheduled to take place July 12, was dropped by NBC and Univision in response to comments Trump made during a speech June 16 announcing his bid for the Republican presidential nomination in which he referred to Mexican immigrants as “bringing drugs” and “bringing crime” to this country, and being “rapists.” Since then Trump has filed a $500 million lawsuit against Univision claiming the network had no contractual right to terminate its deal with him; Trump also has suggested that he might sue NBC.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Donald Trump’s Miss USA Pageant Finds New TV Home

ABC NewsAfter being dropped by NBC and Univision, Donald Trump‘s Miss USA Pageant has found a home on the Reelz cable network.

“The decision on the part of REELZ to acquire the rights to the Miss USA Pageant was based on our belief that this special event, and the women who compete in it, are an integral part of American tradition,” said Stan E. Hubbard, CEO of Reelz, in a statement on Thursday. ““As one of only a few independent networks, we decided to exercise our own voice and committed ourselves to bringing this pageant to American viewers everywhere.”

The pageant, scheduled to take place July 12, was dropped by NBC and Univision in response to comments Trump made during a speech June 16 announcing his bid for the Republican presidential nomination in which he referred to Mexican immigrants as “bringing drugs” and “bringing crime” to this country, and being “rapists.” Since then Trump has filed a $500 million lawsuit against Univision claiming the network had no contractual right to terminate its deal with him; Trump also has suggested that he might sue NBC.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Laurence Fishburne to Star in “Roots” Remake

ABC/Michael AnsellBlack-ish star Laurence Fishburne will play Alex Haley, author of Roots: The Saga of an American Family, in a remake of the 1977 ABC miniseries being simulcast on History, A&E and Lifetime, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The story, chronicling the life of Kunta Kinte, will be an original, contemporary production, combining material from Haley’s novel with new information about the time period over which it spans. The role was portrayed by James Earl Jones in the original miniseries.

Original Roots star LeVar Burton, who played Kunta Kinte, will co-executive produce the remake.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Sandra Bullock Scared by Media’s “Open Hunting Season” on Women

Anthony Harvey/Getty ImagesMonths after being named People magazine’s Most Beautiful Woman, Sandra Bullock is speaking out against what she calls the media’s shaming attacks on women’s looks and age.

“I feel like it’s become open hunting season in how women are attacked and it’s not because of who we are as people, it’s because of how we look or our age,” she tells E! News.

“I’m shocked — and maybe I was just naïve, but I’m embarrassed by it. My son is getting ready to grow up in this world and I’m trying to raise a good man who values and appreciates women, and here we have this attack on women in the media that I don’t see a stop happening.”

Mother to 5-year-old Louis, Bullock says she feels for kids growing up today, especially girls.

“Little girls are having the hardest time with bullying and the Internet — somebody with a very large hand and big voice needs to put a stop to it,” Bullock says. “We need to stop. We are harming girls and women in a way, at a speed that it’s scaring me. It’s really scaring me, so I would love for someone to help put a stop to this.”

The good news, says Bullock, is seeing how women in her industry have stuck together.

“You’d be surprised at the love that you have in our crazy industry,” Bullock says. “The women have bonded together and have sort of become this tribe of trying to take care of each other and be there for each other in a way, because the minute you step out it’s an onslaught.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Paul Rudd Receives Star on Hollywood Walk of Fame

Gabriel Olsen/FilmMagicAnt-Man star Paul Rudd got a huge honor Wednesday: the 2,554th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Rudd seemed truly overwhelmed to get a star, saying, “This is incredible.”

He was impressed that his Ant-Man co-star Michael Douglas showed up to say a few words. Douglas talked about not being impressed the first time he met Rudd at a cafe in New York: “He looked like a homeless guy.”

But Rudd won him over on the Ant-Man set. Douglas said, “I’ve never seen anybody have so much fun in my life.”

And Rudd, known for being a funny guy, got emotional talking about his wife and kids, commenting, “I love my job, but that pales in comparison to how much I love you.”

Marvel’s Ant-Man hits theaters July 17. Marvel is owned by Disney, which also owns ABC News.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →