Slaven Vlasic/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Joan Rivers died because her brain was damaged due to lack of oxygen. That’s the official finding of the New York City Medical Examiner, who released the news Thursday.
Rivers was undergoing a procedure at Yorkville Endoscopy in Manhattan August 28 to evaluate acid reflux and changes in her voice, and was sedated with the anesthetic propofol when she suffered hypoxia, or not enough oxygen in her blood. The official manner of death is “therapeutic complication,” meaning her death resulted from a “predictable complication from medical therapy.”
Propofol was also the drug that Dr. Conrad Murray administered to Michael Jackson before the entertainer’s death in 2009.
Rivers subsequently suffered cardiac arrest and was taken to New York’s Mount Sinai Hospital, where she died Sept. 4 at age 81, having never regained consciousness.
The New York State Health Department told ABC News not long after Rivers’ death that it had opened a “full investigation” of the clinic where Rivers was being treated. A source said there was no suspicion of wrongdoing and the investigation was routine.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio