Review Category : Entertainment

The Truth About Dianne Wiest’s New York Apartment Drama

Walter McBride/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Despite what you might have read, a representative for Dianne Wiest said the two-time Oscar winner is not moving out of her New York City apartment for lack of rent money.

Wiest quipped to The New York Times that she had been offered so few roles in recent years that she was going to have to move out of her apartment.

“I have to move out of my apartment soon,” the 66-year-old actress told The New York Times Sunday for a story about the new play Rasheeda Speaking, starring Wiest and Tony winner Tonya Pinkins.

But her rep told ABC News Monday that her quote “was taken out of context.”

“She is not moving out of her apartment,” he said.

Wiest told the Times that since winning Oscars for her work with Woody Allen in Bullets Over Broadway and Hannah and Her Sisters, she has been typecast as “a nice mom and that’s it. That’s all that ever came, except in theater.”

Although her Rasheeda Speaking co-star Pinkins, 52, has been directing and even plans to write a film, Wiest has no similar plans to reinvent herself.

“I think that if it’s meant to happen, it will happen,” she said. “Which I guess is a real sign of stupidity.”

In Rasheeda Speaking, Pinkins, who won a Tony for Jelly’s Last Jam, plays Jaclyn, an African-American receptionist in a surgeon’s office, and Wiest plays her white co-worker. The show, directed by Sex and the City star Cynthia Nixon, begins previews Tuesday.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

The Truth About Dianne Wiest’s New York Apartment Drama

Walter McBride/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Despite what you might have read, a representative for Dianne Wiest said the two-time Oscar winner is not moving out of her New York City apartment for lack of rent money.

Wiest quipped to The New York Times that she had been offered so few roles in recent years that she was going to have to move out of her apartment.

“I have to move out of my apartment soon,” the 66-year-old actress told The New York Times Sunday for a story about the new play Rasheeda Speaking, starring Wiest and Tony winner Tonya Pinkins.

But her rep told ABC News Monday that her quote “was taken out of context.”

“She is not moving out of her apartment,” he said.

Wiest told the Times that since winning Oscars for her work with Woody Allen in Bullets Over Broadway and Hannah and Her Sisters, she has been typecast as “a nice mom and that’s it. That’s all that ever came, except in theater.”

Although her Rasheeda Speaking co-star Pinkins, 52, has been directing and even plans to write a film, Wiest has no similar plans to reinvent herself.

“I think that if it’s meant to happen, it will happen,” she said. “Which I guess is a real sign of stupidity.”

In Rasheeda Speaking, Pinkins, who won a Tony for Jelly’s Last Jam, plays Jaclyn, an African-American receptionist in a surgeon’s office, and Wiest plays her white co-worker. The show, directed by Sex and the City star Cynthia Nixon, begins previews Tuesday.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Arnold Schwarzenegger to Be Inducted into WWE Hall of Fame

Paul Kane/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Arnold Schwarzenegger is an actor, a bodybuilder, a former California governor, and now, a future inductee of the WWE Hall of Fame.

WWE announced Monday that it will enshrine Schwarzenegger into the celebrity wing of its Hall of Fame during a ceremony on March 28 in San Jose, California. He’ll be honored on the night before WWE’s signature event, WrestleMania, which will be staged at Levi’s Stadium — the home of the San Francisco 49ers — in Santa Clara.

Schwarzenegger has made sporadic appearances on the WWE programs Monday Night Raw and Smackdown through the years. He presented wrestling legend Bruno Sammartino when Sammartino was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2013.

Past celebrity inductees include Mike Tyson, Pete Rose, Drew Carey and Mr. T.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Kim Kardashian: ‘We Support Bruce'; Her Super Bowl Ad Is Released

Peter Kramer/NBC(LOS ANGELES) — Kim Kardashian is mostly keeping mum when it comes to the reports regarding her step-dad Bruce Jenner’s appearance.

Jenner has been photographed with longer hair and nail polish, leading to comments on gossip sites that he looks more feminine.

Kardashian doesn’t seem too willing to share her thoughts on the subject, telling Entertainment Tonight, “I think everyone goes through things in life, and I think that story and what Bruce is going through, I think he’ll share whenever the time is right.”

She notes that Jenner is the “happiest” she’s ever seen him.

The reality star also commented on a recent Instagram photo of herself with Jenner and her sisters captioned, “Family First.” She explained, “Well we support Bruce no matter what, so we were just at his house hanging out and we wanted to take a picture, that was not like a secret message like, ‘We support Bruce.'”

Jenner and Kardashian’s mom, Kris Jenner, separated in 2013. She filed for divorce last September. They have two kids together, Kendall and Kylie Jenner.

Kardashian spoke with ET to discuss her Super Bowl commercial for T-Mobile, which was released online Monday. In the ad, she warns viewers about unused data from cell phone plans, and mocks her selfie obsession.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Phillip Phillips Sues to Get Out of His “American Idol” Contract

Photo by Larry Marano/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Former American Idol winner Phillip Phillips is suing the show’s producer, 19 Entertainment, and its affiliated companies to get out of his contract.

The singer claims in paperwork that he’s been “manipulated” by the company over the past few years.

“I am very grateful for the opportunities provided to me through appearing on American Idol,” Phillips told ABC News in a statement. “The value that the fans and the show have given to my career is not lost on me. However, I have not felt that I have been free to conduct my career in a way that I am comfortable with. I look forward to being able to make my own choices about my career and to being able to make great music and play it for my fans.”

Phillips, 24, filed a petition with the California Labor Commissioner, claiming that he was obligated to play gigs that did not benefit his career, such as one show he did for free for JetBlue, and that the production company regularly withheld information about his career from him. For example, he claimed he only found out the name of his album when the public did. Phillips also alleged that 19 Entertainment receives as much as 40 percent of any of his endorsement deals.

At the core of the petition is the Talent Agencies Act, a California law that states that only licensed talent agents can negotiate gigs for their clients. Phillips’ legal team aims to show that the producers were violating the TAA.

Phillips’ lawyer, Howard King at King Holmes Paterno & Berliner, called the deal “oppressive” and “fatally conflicted.” In a statement, he said: “Phillip appreciates the opportunity provided to him by American Idol and always expected the producers to share in the rewards of his subsequent success. However, he never anticipated that the producers would favor their own interests above his career or commit egregious violations of the California’s Talent Agencies Act. Thankfully, California has a long history of protecting artists from being victimized by people illegally operating as de facto talent agencies.”

However, 19 Entertainment stands by the deal.

“We’re very proud of everything we’ve accomplished together with Phillip, working closely to help nurture his extraordinary talent and advance his career. We have always acted in the best interest of Phillip,” a spokesperson for the company told The Hollywood Reporter. “We will vigorously defend ourselves from any baseless claims to the contrary and from any attempt to interfere with our rights and relationships.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Phillip Phillips Sues to Get Out of His “American Idol” Contract

Photo by Larry Marano/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Former American Idol winner Phillip Phillips is suing the show’s producer, 19 Entertainment, and its affiliated companies to get out of his contract.

The singer claims in paperwork that he’s been “manipulated” by the company over the past few years.

“I am very grateful for the opportunities provided to me through appearing on American Idol,” Phillips told ABC News in a statement. “The value that the fans and the show have given to my career is not lost on me. However, I have not felt that I have been free to conduct my career in a way that I am comfortable with. I look forward to being able to make my own choices about my career and to being able to make great music and play it for my fans.”

Phillips, 24, filed a petition with the California Labor Commissioner, claiming that he was obligated to play gigs that did not benefit his career, such as one show he did for free for JetBlue, and that the production company regularly withheld information about his career from him. For example, he claimed he only found out the name of his album when the public did. Phillips also alleged that 19 Entertainment receives as much as 40 percent of any of his endorsement deals.

At the core of the petition is the Talent Agencies Act, a California law that states that only licensed talent agents can negotiate gigs for their clients. Phillips’ legal team aims to show that the producers were violating the TAA.

Phillips’ lawyer, Howard King at King Holmes Paterno & Berliner, called the deal “oppressive” and “fatally conflicted.” In a statement, he said: “Phillip appreciates the opportunity provided to him by American Idol and always expected the producers to share in the rewards of his subsequent success. However, he never anticipated that the producers would favor their own interests above his career or commit egregious violations of the California’s Talent Agencies Act. Thankfully, California has a long history of protecting artists from being victimized by people illegally operating as de facto talent agencies.”

However, 19 Entertainment stands by the deal.

“We’re very proud of everything we’ve accomplished together with Phillip, working closely to help nurture his extraordinary talent and advance his career. We have always acted in the best interest of Phillip,” a spokesperson for the company told The Hollywood Reporter. “We will vigorously defend ourselves from any baseless claims to the contrary and from any attempt to interfere with our rights and relationships.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Benedict Cumberbatch Apologizes for Calling Black Actors ‘Colored’

Photo by Michael Tran/FilmMagic(NEW YORK) — Benedict Cumberbatch, star of the Oscar-nominated film The Imitation Game, apologized on Monday for comments he made on a PBS show in which he used the term “colored” to describe black actors.

While discussing diversity in Hollywood on Tavis Smiley, Cumberbatch said, “I think as far as colored actors go, it gets really difficult in the U.K.” Many people on social media and elsewhere called Cumberbatch’s choice of words inappropriate and racist.

On Monday, Cumberbatch said in a statement that he was devastated to have offended anyone, calling himself an idiot.

“I offer my sincere apologies,” Cumberbatch said. “I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

What “Modern Family’s” Sofia Vergara and Miss Universe Have in Common

ABC/Randy Holmes(NEW YORK) — Miss Universe Paulina Vega isn’t the first beauty from Barranquilla, Colombia, to compete and win in pageants.

In fact, Sofia Vergara’s character Gloria was Miss Barranquilla on Modern Family, according to ABC.

In real life, Vergara, 42, is really from this town that also boasts pop icon Shakira.

Vergara was so happy with Vega’s win, representing her hometown, that she posted on WhoSay and Tweeted, “Barranquilla!!!!! Miss Universe!!!!”

Barranquilla!!!!! Miss Universe!!!! http://t.co/68EW4C8qhN

— Sofia Vergara (@SofiaVergara) January 26, 2015

Barranquilla is one of Colombia’s largest cities, along with Bogota, Medellin and Cali. The city in Northern Colombia is a major port and has a rich and illustrious history dating back to the early 1600s.

Other notable people that hail from Barranquilla include baseball player Edgar Rentería and soccer player Fredy Montero.

Paulina Vega from Colombia is crowned Miss Universe 2014! http://t.co/8UUplK47DK

— Paulina Vega (@MissUniverse) January 26, 2015

For more on the similarities between Vergara and Vega, head to ABC.go.com and check out — Barranquilla, Colombia: Gloria & Miss Universe 2015’s Connection.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Melissa Rivers Files Lawsuit Against Clinic Where Joan Rivers Went into Cardiac Arrest

Stephen Lovekin/NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment(NEW YORK) — Melissa Rivers on Monday filed a lawsuit against the Manhattan clinic where her mother Joan Rivers went into cardiac arrest last year.

In a statement, Melissa Rivers called the decision “one of the most difficult decisions I’ve ever had to make.” The suit names Yorkville Endoscopy, its former Medical Director Dr. Lawrence Cohen, anesthesiologist Robert Koniuta and Joan Rivers’ personal ENT Dr. Gwen Korovin.

Melissa Rivers alleges that her mother authorized the clinic to perform an upper endoscopy on August 28, and that Dr. Cohen allowed Dr. Korovin to be in the procedure room despite the fact that she “should not have been permitted.” Korovin then allegedly performed an unauthorized transnasal laryngoscopy on Rivers. The suit claims that Dr. Cohen began the endoscopy after the unauthorized procedure, but at that point, Rivers’ vital signs were deteriorating.

Korovin, the lawsuit notes, “had no right to perform any medical procedures or render any medical services” at Yorkville Endoscopy.

The lawsuit further notes that Cohen used his cell phone to take photos of Rivers while she was under sedation and while her vital signs were dropping. That action, the suit claims, was also unauthorized and was not objected to by any individual in the room.

When the doctors became aware of her dropping vital signs, the lawsuit alleges, they attempted to revive her with an ambulatory bag, taking ten minutes before determining that that wouldn’t work due to Rivers’ obstructed airway. At that point, the doctors realized an emergency procedure called a cricothyrotomy was required, but Korovin, the only one who knew how to perform the procedure, had left the procedure room.

Korovin, the lawsuit says, “abandoned her patient, Joan Rivers.”

The clinic released a statement on Monday saying that it was aware of the filing, but that “it is not appropriate to comment publicly.” The clinic say it is continuing to “work with regulatory agencies to ensure compliance with all laws and regulations.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Keira Knightley Breaks Silence on Her Pregnancy

Randy Holmes / ABC(LOS ANGELES) — For weeks, reports have stated that Keira Knightley is expecting her first child with husband James Righton. However, the SAG Award nominee hadn’t said anything about them until Sunday night, when it came up during a discussion about her stilettos.

“I can kinda go, ‘Well, I’m pregnant so my shoes have to come off,’ and nobody is allowed to say anything!” the Imitation Game star told E! News, according to People magazine. “So that’s quite nice.”

Knightley, 29, wore a Erdem gown to the awards show, concealing her growing bump.

The fashion choice was a necessity, she said.

“[My] waist has disappeared!” she said. “[But] for a very good reason.”

This is the actress’ first child. She married Righton, a rocker, in 2013.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →