Review Category : National News

FAA Investigating Close Call at Chicago Airport

chanceb737/iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(CHICAGO) — The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating a close call between two aircraft at Chicago Midway Airport. The incident occurred Tuesday evening just before 7:40 p.m.

According to the FAA, air traffic control cleared Southwest Flight 3828 for takeoff, but then Delta Air Lines Flight 1328 also started to roll onto the runway without the proper clearance.

“Preliminary information indicates that Southwest Airlines Flight 3828 was cleared for takeoff on Runway 31-Center,” the FAA said in a statement. “As that aircraft began its takeoff roll, an air traffic controller noticed that Delta Air Lines Flight 1328 had also begun rolling on Runway 4-Right without proper clearance.”

Once the air traffic controller noticed the Delta flight, the controller immediately alerted that crew to stop. The Southwest flight also decided to stop and both planes halted more than 2,000 feet from the runway intersection, the FAA said.

Air traffic control audio indicates the air traffic controller telling a pilot to “Stop, stop.” Then, one of the pilots says “Stopping.”

The Southwest Airlines flight returned to the terminal to complete required checklist items, and later continued to Tulsa.

“Our reports indicate that after being cleared for takeoff at MDW on the evening of Tuesday, June 16, the pilots of Southwest flight #3828 followed FAA Air Traffic Control instructions and safely aborted takeoff,” Southwest Airlines told ABC News in a statement.

“Then, the pilots proceeded to taxi off of the runway to complete required checklist items and returned to the terminal to complete other necessary reports and tasks. The flight later continued onward to Tulsa without further incident. We appreciate the professionalism of our pilots and the FAA air traffic controller.”

Delta did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

FAA safety investigators continue to examine the incident.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

FBI Arrests Man in Connection with Alleged ISIS Sympathizer

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — The FBI has arrested a man on New York’s Staten Island who was the subject of a counter-terrorism investigation.

The agents were conducting a search that was related to the alleged ISIS sympathizer from Queens, New York, who had been arrested on Saturday, authorities said.

The man came at the agents with a knife, authorities said. He was taken into custody without incident and there were no injuries. The man, as yet unidentified, will appear in federal court in Brooklyn, New York later Wednesday.

ABC News reported Wednesday that the FBI is in the midst of a broad campaign to disrupt potential terrorists inspired by ISIS, with several arrests expected before July 4.

Hundreds of investigations are underway in all 50 states. Many involve suspected ISIS supporters, authorities said.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Police Have No ‘Concrete Leads’ That Inmates Have Fled Far from Prison

NYS Police(DANNEMORA, N.Y.) — Police say that there are no “concrete leads” that suggest that two escaped inmates have left the area of a New York prison though officials have decided to expand the search area, they announced at a news conference Wednesday.

“There is no hard evidence that they are outside the area,” one investigator said Wednesday. “That being said, we cannot rule that out.”

Wednesday marks the 12th day since convicted murderers Richard Matt and David Sweat escaped from Clinton Correctional Facility in upstate New York via a steam pipe.

A host of law enforcement officials from the various agencies involved in the search gave an update in Dannemora but did not have any specific details about leads that have panned out. In all, they’ve fielded more than 1,400 tips throughout the search.

“They came up with a very elaborate and creative plan to escape from one of the secure facilities in New York if not the United States,” another official said.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

DC Mansion Murder Suspect Thinks He’s Being ‘Set Up,’ Attorney Says

Metropolitan Police Department(WASHINGTON) — The new attorney for the sole suspect in the Washington, D.C. mansion murder says that his client believes he is being set up.

“He believes that once people begin to understand who else was out there and what was going on, they’re going to see him in a very different light,” attorney Sean Hanover told ABC News affiliate WJLA-TV.

“I think it’s fair to say that he feels, at this time, that he was definitely set up,” he said.

Daron Wint, who has not yet had to enter a plea in the case, is charged with the murders of Savvas Savopoulos, his wife Amy, their son Philip and their housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa. Their bodies were found inside their burning mansion on May 14.

Wint is the only person who has been arrested in connection with the case, but the prospect of other people being involved is not new. Police have repeatedly said that they think there were others who either helped or had a hand in allegedly holding the four victims hostage overnight before murdering them.

Even in the police affidavit that was unsealed on May 22, investigators concluded that the crime “required the presence and assistance of more than one person.”

No other suspects have been publicly identified, however, and police have not yet revealed the extent of their evidence from the crime scene. The one confirmed connection that Wint had to the scene was trace DNA found on a pizza crust inside the home, authorities said.

“We don’t know what other DNA evidence exists,” Hanover told WJLA. “We’ve only learned thus far about the pizza. Let’s see what else is there.”

Wint was previously represented by public defenders, but his relatives hired Hanover this past weekend and the switch was approved by the court on Tuesday.

“Everybody deserves a fair chance and to be heard,” Hanover said.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Georgia Father Jumps on Moving SUV to Save Son in Carjacking

ABC News(FULTON COUNTY, Ga.) — A Georgia father was caught on camera jumping onto a moving SUV to save his 8-year-old son from a carjacker who was racing off with the boy in the back seat.

The incident happened Sunday at a gas station on Old National Highway in Fulton County, Georgia.

Malcolm Millones says he was getting ready to pump gas – his fiancée had stepped inside the store to pay – when he realized something wasn’t right. A teen had jumped into the SUV when he wasn’t looking, taking off with Millones’ son Rashaan in the back seat.

“I was shrieking, I hate to admit it, but … I’ve never been scared before until now. I never really felt fear until now, honestly,” Malcom Millones said later.

Millones grabbed onto the side of the SUV as the driver pulled out of the station, beating on the window and hanging on for about a quarter-mile. He fell and broke his arm, but his actions were enough to distract the carjacker, allowing Rashaan the chance to jump out, unharmed.

Rashaan is proud of his father’s heroic actions.

“I would say it’s cool and brave for my dad to jump on a car and get his arm broken for me,” he said.

Authorities are continuing to search for the missing SUV, a silver 2014 Kia Sorento.

ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

FEMA Personnel in Texas, Oklahoma in Response to Severe Weather

Stephen Bonk/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest announced on Tuesday that already deployed FEMA personnel in Texas and Oklahoma stand ready to help in response to Tropical Storm-turned-Depression.

Earnest noted FEMA mobilized personnel in the two states in response to the May flooding there last month.

Those personnel will now remain in place for the severe moving across the states.

“Those personnel are in place as well to respond to Tropical Storm Bill which we know has already begun to bring heavy rainfall, strong winds and the potential of tornadoes to portions of Texas and Oklahoma today,” Earnest said Tuesday. “These FEMA personnel will remain deployed in Texas and Oklahoma in preparation for these storms.”

Bill made landfall in Texas on Tuesday morning as a strong tropical storm with winds up to 60 mph.

Overnight, 6,000 people were without power in the Houston area.

ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Teen Shark Attack Victim Hunter Treschl Says He ‘Didn’t See It Coming’

www.gofundme.com/x3bhwk(CHAPEL HILL, N.C.) — One of the young victims of a pair of brutal shark attacks in North Carolina spoke out from his hospital bed, calmly describing how he didn’t see the shark until it chomped down on his arm and “got that off,” according to videos released by the hospital Tuesday night.

Hunter Treschl, 16, lost part of his arm in the attack, this past Sunday, off the coast of Oak Island, North Carolina, but he said he won’t let the traumatic incident get him down, vowing instead to “fight and live a normal life.”

A 12-year-old girl, Kiersten Yow, also lost an arm in a similar attack in the area just 90 minutes before. Her family said that she was expected to be able to keep one of her legs, which was also injured in the attack.

Treschl said that he was in waist-deep water playing with his cousin when he felt a “hit” on his left leg.

“Then I felt it…one more time and it kind of hit my arm and that was the first I saw it when it was biting up my left arm kind of,” he calmly recounted from his hospital bed at New Hanover Regional Medical Center NC.

“Then it got that off,” he said.

After that he was able to get of the water and to the beach with the help of his cousin.

“I didn’t see it coming he said.”

Throughout the ordeal, he was conscious, and recalled being surrounded by 25 people in the hospital.

The staff “fixed my arm up,” he said. “Did a pretty good job of it too from what I hear.

“It feels good.”

Treschl said that in the wake of the traumatic event, he was faced with a choice.

“So I kind of have two options — I can try to live my life the way I was and make an effort to do that even though I don’t have an arm or I can kind of just let this be completely debilitating”

“Out of those two there’s really only one that I would choose to do and that’s to try and fight and live a normal life with the cards I’ve been dealt.”

ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

James Holmes Had Homicidal Thoughts 3-4 Times a Day, Psychiatrist Testifies

Kuzma/iStock/Thinkstock(CENTENNIAL, Colo.) — A psychiatrist who treated accused Aurora mass murderer James Holmes testified in court Tuesday that he was having thoughts of killing people 3-4 times a day.

Dr. Lynne Fenton was one of the most anticipated witnesses in the trial because she is the last psychiatrist to have treated him in the months leading up to the 2012 shooting.

She told public defender Tamara Brady on cross examination at Arapahoe County Courthouse that the last time she treated him, around 5 weeks before the shooting, she was concerned that he was shifting into a “schizophrenic state.”

“His hatred of humans had remarkably impaired him?” asked Brady. “Yes,” Fenton answered.

The defendant referred to people as “sheeple” and “shepherds,” Fenton said Holmes told her during a session.

In an often shaky voice, Fenton described her patient as shy, anxious, bizarre and at times sad, but not depressed. She said though Holmes had homicidal thoughts, he never told her about a specific plan to kill people, and never mentioned a specific target.

The accused shooter has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity. But the prosecution insists he was sane when he allegedly walked into the premiere of The Dark Knight Rises in full battle gear and gunned down 12 people, wounding 70 more.

District Attorney George Brauchler argued that Holmes was sane because he showed up on time for his appointments, was fastidious with his finances and came dressed the same as any other grad student.

Asked Brauchler, “Was there any evidence that he was an imminent danger to himself or others?”

“There was no evidence of that,” she answered.

On June 11, a day after their last appointment, Fenton was so concerned about the accused shooter’s state of mind that she called his mother, Arlene Holmes, who told her she had been worried about her son for a long time.

Fenton testified she then contacted the behavioral and environmental threat assessment team (BETA), which she herself started, and called University of Colorado police officer Lynn Whitten on June 11 for a background check, which turned up nothing.

According to court documents, Whitten then deactivated Holmes’ I.D. card to prevent him from entering locked buildings on campus, court documents say.

Court testimony has shown that during the time defendant was seeing Fenton, he had already begun buying the tear gas, gas masks, and several weapons including a pistol, a shotgun, and a semi-automatic rifle, all of which he used in the shooting.

In the weeks following the shooting, Fenton began to shift her focus at the university from treating to patients to working more with graduate students.

The decision to reduce the amount of time treating patients was Fenton’s, her employers say, and insist it is no reflection of her involvement with the theater shooting case or still-unanswered questions about whether more could have been done to stop the attack. She has been in this new position since April.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

FEMA Personnel in Texas, Oklahoma Ready for Tropical Storm Bill

Stephen Bonk/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest announced on Tuesday that already deployed FEMA personnel in Texas and Oklahoma stand ready to help in response to Tropical Storm Bill in the coming days.

Earnest noted FEMA mobilized personnel in the two states in response to the May flooding there last month.

Those personnel will now remain in place for the tropical storm.

“Those personnel are in place as well to respond to Tropical Storm Bill which we know has already begun to bring heavy rainfall, strong winds and the potential of tornadoes to portions of Texas and Oklahoma today,” Earnest said. “These FEMA personnel will remain deployed in Texas and Oklahoma in preparation for these storms.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

10-Year-Old Hero Rescues Children from Mobile Home Fire in Florida

MattGush/iStock/Thinkstock(OAKLAND, Fla.) — A 10-year-old boy is being hailed a hero after he pulled two children from a mobile home fire in Oakland, Florida, according to Orange County fire officials.

The young rescuer, Isiah Francis, told ABC News affiliate WFTV-TV his “heart was beating so fast” when he ran into the Lake John’s Motel Efficiency home, grabbed the two kids under his arms and guided them to safety outside.

“I had to go in there with the fire to grab the kids while the dad kept running in there with water trying to put [the fire] out,” Francis said. “I was nervous because there was so much smoke. It was hard for me to see and all that.”

He added that he was scared because he thought he “was going to get burned, or it was going to start booming.”

Francis explained that he first noticed the fire while playing games at a friend’s house.

“I looked out the window because I smelled something, [and] when I looked out the window, I saw smoke,” he told WFTV-TV. “I went in the house grabbing the kids. And after I came outside with the kids, I told the dad, ‘Is there any more?’ and he said no, so then I called the fire department and the police.”

The little hero told WFTV-TV he plans on becoming a firefighter when he’s older.

“I’ve been wanting to [be a fireman] ever since I was five years old,” he said. “Even though I have to go through all this hard work, I still want to be one.”

Francis added he didn’t know that there were two more children still inside the home.

Fire officials said firefighters arrived in time to rescue them, WFTV-TV reported. The station added the officials were told the fire started on a stove in the home and that the state fire marshal would look into the cause.

The size of the blaze wasn’t immediately clear, and the Orange County Fire Rescue department did not immediately respond to ABC News’ requests for additional information.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →