Review Category : National News

Single Bomb Threat Grounds Two Planes at JFK

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Delta Airlines said Monday night that a bomb threat involving Delta flight 468 caused two of its planes with that flight number to be deplaned and searched at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport.

“Earlier this evening, another airline received a threat regarding Delta flight 468. Delta currently operates two aircraft under that specific flight number — San Francisco to New York-JFK which is currently on the ground at New York-JFK and New York-JFK to Tel Aviv, currently in the boarding process,” Delta said in a statement.

“Proper security procedures are being followed for both aircraft. Delta has passed this information along to federal authorities.”

A video posted by @acedelta on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:07pm PST

The plane that had come in from San Francisco was a Boeing 757 with 171 passengers on board. The one slated to fly to Tel Aviv, Israel, was a Boeing 777 carrying 215 passengers.

Passengers were bused from the tarmac to the terminal while the planes were searched. Both planes were given the all-clear to take off, the FBI said in a tweet.

Bomb threat on Delta flight 468 from SFO to JFK.

A video posted by @acedelta on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:04pm PST

Andrew O’Boyle, a passenger on the arriving plane, said everything was going smoothly until the plane landed. Then the plane was surrounded.

“It’s really quite surreal when something like that happens. You don’t know how you’re going to react or everyone around you is going to react,” he told ABC News.

“I’m just happy everything went smoothly and we’re all safe.”

World News Videos | ABC World News

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Support for Boston Summer Olympics Is Good but Not Great

Joe Scarnici/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Folks in Massachusetts aren’t quite so Boston Strong when it comes to hosting the 2024 Summer Olympic Games.

With Boston now a bidding city, the campaign consulting firm Sage Systems asked 1,600 Massachusetts residents about their support for hosting the Olympics. Just over 55 percent were in favor of it, while close to four in ten said they weren’t.

While more support is certainly better than less, it pales in comparison to other cities who vied for the 2012 Summer Olympics, which were hosted by London. During the bidding process, 68 percent of Londoners supported the games while in Madrid and Paris, support ran 91 percent and 85 percent, respectively.

The organizing group Boston 2024 and Mayor Marty Walsh are hoping attitudes will grow stronger in favor of hosting the Olympics as their PR campaign gets into full swing.

One big negative, however, is how state residents feel about pouring public money into the bid. By a ratio of almost two-to-one, they oppose such a move.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Support for Boston Summer Olympics Is Good but Not Great

Joe Scarnici/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Folks in Massachusetts aren’t quite so Boston Strong when it comes to hosting the 2024 Summer Olympic Games.

With Boston now a bidding city, the campaign consulting firm Sage Systems asked 1,600 Massachusetts residents about their support for hosting the Olympics. Just over 55 percent were in favor of it, while close to four in ten said they weren’t.

While more support is certainly better than less, it pales in comparison to other cities who vied for the 2012 Summer Olympics, which were hosted by London. During the bidding process, 68 percent of Londoners supported the games while in Madrid and Paris, support ran 91 percent and 85 percent, respectively.

The organizing group Boston 2024 and Mayor Marty Walsh are hoping attitudes will grow stronger in favor of hosting the Olympics as their PR campaign gets into full swing.

One big negative, however, is how state residents feel about pouring public money into the bid. By a ratio of almost two-to-one, they oppose such a move.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Single Bomb Threat Grounds Two Planes at JFK

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Delta Airlines said Monday night that a bomb threat involving Delta flight 468 caused two of its planes with that flight number to be deplaned and searched at New York’s John F. Kennedy International Airport.

“Earlier this evening, another airline received a threat regarding Delta flight 468. Delta currently operates two aircraft under that specific flight number — San Francisco to New York-JFK which is currently on the ground at New York-JFK and New York-JFK to Tel Aviv, currently in the boarding process,” Delta said in a statement.

“Proper security procedures are being followed for both aircraft. Delta has passed this information along to federal authorities.”

A video posted by @acedelta on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:07pm PST

The plane that had come in from San Francisco was a Boeing 757 with 171 passengers on board. The one slated to fly to Tel Aviv, Israel, was a Boeing 777 carrying 215 passengers.

Passengers were bused from the tarmac to the terminal while the planes were searched. Both planes were given the all-clear to take off, the FBI said in a tweet.

Bomb threat on Delta flight 468 from SFO to JFK.

A video posted by @acedelta on Jan 19, 2015 at 6:04pm PST

Andrew O’Boyle, a passenger on the arriving plane, said everything was going smoothly until the plane landed. Then the plane was surrounded.

“It’s really quite surreal when something like that happens. You don’t know how you’re going to react or everyone around you is going to react,” he told ABC News.

“I’m just happy everything went smoothly and we’re all safe.”

World News Videos | ABC World News

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Support for Boston Summer Olympics Is Good but Not Great

Joe Scarnici/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Folks in Massachusetts aren’t quite so Boston Strong when it comes to hosting the 2024 Summer Olympic Games.

With Boston now a bidding city, the campaign consulting firm Sage Systems asked 1,600 Massachusetts residents about their support for hosting the Olympics. Just over 55 percent were in favor of it, while close to four in ten said they weren’t.

While more support is certainly better than less, it pales in comparison to other cities who vied for the 2012 Summer Olympics, which were hosted by London. During the bidding process, 68 percent of Londoners supported the games while in Madrid and Paris, support ran 91 percent and 85 percent, respectively.

The organizing group Boston 2024 and Mayor Marty Walsh are hoping attitudes will grow stronger in favor of hosting the Olympics as their PR campaign gets into full swing.

One big negative, however, is how state residents feel about pouring public money into the bid. By a ratio of almost two-to-one, they oppose such a move.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

University of Virginia to Pay $500,000 for Internal Review of Sexual Assault Claims from “Rolling Stone” Article

Alessandro Drago/iStock/Thinkstock(CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.) — The University of Virginia will pay over $500,000 for the internal review of the sexual assault claims made in a Rolling Stone magazine article, the veracity of which has since come into question.

Recently signed contracts obtained by ABC News show that the school will pay more than half a million dollars for the review of its response to the gang rape claim posed in the Rolling Stone article. University Attorney General Mark Herring said in a November 25, 2014 statement that a law team would “conduct a thorough investigation and review of issues surrounding sexual violence at the University of Virginia and report its findings to the Board.”

A separate review will be completed by Philadelphia attorneys from a different law firm to provide recommendations on how to handle sexual assault and violence at the school.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Incredible Video Shows Near-Miss Black Ice Accident

photoBeard/iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — A dangerous near-miss was caught on camera by a driver on I-95 when a tractor-trailer crash and black ice almost caused a second collision.

A driver started filming the scene in front of him when two large trucks had swerved ahead of him on Sunday, blocking the entire southbound lane of I-95 near New Brunswick, New Jersey, only to hear a loud noise behind him and turn the camera.

Then the man saw that a third tractor-trailer was swerving rapidly as it was heading right towards him.

The truck cuts across all three lanes and drives right over the median, into the northbound side of the highway, just barely missing the man who was capturing video from inside his car.

Part of the tractor-trailer’s cab is seen on fire and, as the driver slowly progresses forward, the camera catches sight of a car in that lane that appears to be on fire.

“Once I turned off camera, I called in 911 and reported the accident. After that I came to the truck and the rest of the cars to verify they were alright,” wrote the cameraman, who posted the video to YouTube using the username MrLegolize. “After arrival of NJ State Trooper and his dismissal confirming that he does not require my presence, I left the scene.”

Black ice is believed to have been the cause of the accident. This was far from the only incident caused by bad weather on Sunday.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Marked by Community Service and Protests

Brad Mielke/ABC News(NEW YORK) — On Monday, while much of the nation spent the day honoring the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in traditional ways, like working in their communities, others took the opportunity to protest the deaths of numerous black men at the hands of police officers around the country in recent months and years.

The New York Times reported that more than 1,000 people gathered in Harlem, N.Y., where a banner reading “Black Lives Matter” hung from the front of a church. Many of the demonstrators, the newspaper said, held signs demanding justice for Eric Garner, who died in July 2014 when a New York police officer placed him in a chokehold.

Others carried signs calling for justice in the case of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old shot in August 2014 by police officers in Ferguson, Mo., just outside of St. Louis, where thousands more were gathered, according to the Times.

Still others were responding to the 2012 death of Trayvon Martin at the hands of neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman, or the November 2014 shooting of Tamir Rice by a Cleveland police officer.

The crowd at a similar event — a four-mile march — in Boston was expected to number over 1,500.

Among the issues many of those gathering Monday are trying to fight are police brutality, mass incarceration and racial and economic inequality.

In addition to the protests, many around the country honored King by taking part in community service events. Vice President Joe Biden and Secretary of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson each spoke at breakfast events honoring King on Monday. President Barack Obama, first lady Michelle Obama, and a number of cabinet and administration members participated in an array of community events throughout the day Monday.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Man Gets Ticket for Driving While Eating a Cheeseburger

Ryan McVay/PhotoDisc/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) — A man was cited for alleged distracted driving in Georgia when a police officer saw him eating a cheeseburger while behind the wheel, according to ABC affiliate WSB-TV.

The police officer in question, whose name has not been released, cited Cobb County’s distracted driver law, and the driver has a court date scheduled for Feb. 3, the Atlanta station said.

“Maybe I was enjoying the burger too much. I needed to tone it down,” driver Madison Turner told the station. “I was certainly willing to do so but I didn’t expect to be fined or punished.”

Cobb County Court would not comment to WSB-TV because the case is ongoing, but Turner’s attorney said he expects it to be overturned because many drivers, himself included, eat and drive.

“I’ve only seen something like this charge when there’s an accident,” attorney William Head said to WSB-TV. “There was no accident here, so the fact that this man was charged with eating and driving is a first for me.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Man Gets Ticket for Driving While Eating a Cheeseburger

Ryan McVay/PhotoDisc/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) — A man was cited for alleged distracted driving in Georgia when a police officer saw him eating a cheeseburger while behind the wheel, according to ABC affiliate WSB-TV.

The police officer in question, whose name has not been released, cited Cobb County’s distracted driver law, and the driver has a court date scheduled for Feb. 3, the Atlanta station said.

“Maybe I was enjoying the burger too much. I needed to tone it down,” driver Madison Turner told the station. “I was certainly willing to do so but I didn’t expect to be fined or punished.”

Cobb County Court would not comment to WSB-TV because the case is ongoing, but Turner’s attorney said he expects it to be overturned because many drivers, himself included, eat and drive.

“I’ve only seen something like this charge when there’s an accident,” attorney William Head said to WSB-TV. “There was no accident here, so the fact that this man was charged with eating and driving is a first for me.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →