Review Category : National Sports

Dale Earnhardt Jr. to Make an Appearance at This Weekend’s Race

Hemera/Thinkstock(DOVER, Del.) — Dale Earnhardt Jr., who’s missed NASCAR action over the past couple of months due to a concussion, will make an appearance at this weekend’s race at Dover International Speedway, though he won’t be behind the wheel of his No. 88 car.

Earnhardt Jr. says he will sit in the No. 88 pit box and observe the Sprint Cup Series’ Citizen Soldier 400 as Jeff Gordon again fills in for him.

“It’s going to be kind of different, tough, maybe not a ton of fun,” Earnhardt Jr. said on The Dale Jr. Download podcast this week, according to NASCAR.com. “It’s a bit weird to be not in the car but at the track when you’re a driver. You don’t know what to do with yourself. But I’m going to try to support the guys and maybe learn a thing or two.”

Earnhardt Jr. also discussed his progress in recovering from the concussion. It’s believed he suffered the concussion during a crash at Michigan International Speedway in June.

“[I]t’s getting better,” he said. “My doctors talk about getting me back to where I can be a normal person, and then there’s getting me back to being a race car driver. I’m almost back…to being a normal, functioning person with no issues. To become that guy I need to be inside the car, we really have to train my senses to be perfect.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Scoreboard Roundup — 9/27/16

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the latest scores and winners:

INTERLEAGUE

Texas 6, Milwaukee 4

AMERICAN LEAGUE

L.A. Angels 8, Oakland 1
N-Y Yankees 6, Boston 4
Toronto 5, Baltimore 1
Detroit 12, Cleveland 0
Kansas City 4, Minnesota 3, 11 Innings
Houston 8, Seattle 4
Chi White Sox 13, Tampa Bay 6

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Atlanta 7, Philadelphia 6
San Diego 7, L.A. Dodgers 1
San Francisco 12, Colorado 3
Washington 4, Arizona 2
Chi Cubs 6, Pittsburgh 4
N-Y Mets 12, Miami 1
St. Louis 12, Cincinnati 5

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Men Charged After Protesting Ryan Lochte on ‘Dancing With the Stars’

ABC(LOS ANGELES) — The two men who interrupted Ryan Lochte’s first appearance on Dancing With the Stars are now facing criminal charges.

The Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office filed criminal complaints on Monday against Sam Sotoodeh and Barzeen Soroudi, who rushed the stage of the ABC show earlier this month to protest Lochte’s casting.

They have been charged with two misdemeanors – leaving a spectator area and entering a stage and interfering with a performance – and could face six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

Their arraignment has been set for Oct. 4.

During the season premiere of Dancing With the Stars, Sotoodeh and Soroudi interrupted the broadcast by stepping onto the dance floor and screaming “liar” at Lochte – a reference to the Olympian’s claim that he was robbed at the Rio Summer Olympics. He later said that he “overexaggerated” the story, and the United States Olympic Committee banned him for 10 months. Sotoodeh and Soroudi were detained by security and arrested for misdemeanor trespassing, according to the Los Angeles Police Department. The next day, they were released on $1,000 bail.

“Everyone deserves a second chance, but we had to say our protest, as well,” Soroudi told ABC News.

As a result of the incident, the show conducted “a full evaluation of security procedures” and planned to make any changes necessary, a representative said at the time. Lochte remains a competitor on the program.

“When I was asked to do the show, the one thing that I kept hearing was that it was like joining a big family. After Monday’s incident, I now know what that means,” he wrote on Instagram at the time of the protest. “I have gotten so much love from everyone on the show, including my partner Cheryl [Burke], my fellow competitors, the producers, the security team and its fans. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of the show, and more than ever, I am dedicated to my new family and to working hard to do my best.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Friend of Man Boating with Marlins Pitcher Jose Fernandez Texted Stay ‘Close to Shore’

Joe Caveretta/Sun Sentinel/TNS via Getty Images(MIAMI) — The friend of a man who died along with Miami Marlins star pitcher Jose Fernandez, sent a text message warning to “please be careful” and “keep him close to shore,” according to a screenshot posted to social media.

The texts, posted to Instagram by Will Bernal Sunday, offered some potential insight into the circumstances surrounding the deadly crash in which Fernandez, 24, Eduardo Rivero, 25 and Emilio Macias, 27 died. The messages with Bernal telling Rivero to “please be careful” and to “keep him close to shore.”

Fernandez purportedly argued with his girlfriend in the hours before the crash, the Miami Herald reported, but ABC News has not confirmed that information. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission, which is investigating, did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request for comment regarding the allegations that Fernandez had been arguing with his girlfriend.

The boat carrying the men smashed into a jetty on Miami Beach Sunday, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission.

The boat was registered in Fernandez’s name, but it is not clear who was operating the boat at the time of the crash, the FWC said. Speeding is suspected to be a factor, and the investigation is ongoing.

In the texts, Rivero responds, “Trust me it’s not my time yet,” and Bernal texts back, telling Rivero to “keep Jose cool” as well as to turn on the Find My iPhone app.

“It’s on,” Rivero says. He then sends Bernal a map, the posts show.

Bernal wrote in the Instagram caption, posted Sunday, that it was the last conversation he had with Rivero and that he felt “sick” to his “stomach.”

“Everyone is talking about Jose Fernandez, but you died trying to be there for him and be a good friend,” Bernal wrote. “This doesn’t sit with me well.”

Bernal wrote that Rivero had gone “to help” Fernandez when the star pitcher called him. It was not clear with what and Bernal did not immediately comment to ABC News.

“I tried so hard to tell you not to go out on that boat,” Bernal said. “It didn’t feel right and we both knew it.”

The entire Marlins roster wore No. 16 jerseys to honor Fernandez in the game against the Mets Monday night, which was the first game since his death. Infielder Dee Gordon hit a leadoff home run, his first homer of the season, and fought back tears as he jogged toward home plate.

Gordon said after the game that Fernandez should have been “cheering” for him from the dugout. The Marlins won the game 7-3. The two teams will face off again tonight at Marlins Park.

The team canceled its Sunday game against the Atlanta Braves following the news of Fernandez’s death.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Serena Williams ‘Won’t Be Silent’ on Race-Related Police Incidents

Julian Finney/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Serena Williams took to Facebook Tuesday, writing in a lengthy post that she won’t be silent any longer when it comes to race relations and police-involved incidents in America.

The tennis icon had a moment of reflection while riding in the back of her car, with her 18-year-old nephew driving.

“In the distance I saw [a] cop on the side of the road. I quickly checked to see if [my nephew] was obliging by the speed limit,” she wrote.

But Williams, 35, then wrote she remembered the case of Philando Castile, who was shot after he was pulled over in Minnesota with his girlfriend and child in the car.

The aftermath of the Castile shooting was captured on video, with his girlfriend saying police shot him as he was putting his hands up. The officer who shot him can be heard on the video saying he told Castile “not to reach for it,” referring to his licensed pistol.

“All of this went through my mind in a matter of seconds. I even regretted not driving myself,” she continued. “I would never forgive myself if something happened to my nephew. He’s so innocent. So were all ‘the others.'”

Williams referenced other police-involved shootings and added, “not ‘everyone’ is bad It is just the ones that are ignorant, afraid, uneducated, and insensitive … Why did I have to think about this in 2016?”

Williams decided to act now and in the future.

“I … wondered than have I spoken up? I had to take a look at me. What about my nephews? What if I have a son and what about my daughters?” she wrote. “As Dr. Martin Luther King said ‘ There comes a time when silence is betrayal’.”

She signed the post, “I Won’t Be Silent.”

After a tumultuous 2016, Williams isn’t the only sports legend to speak up. In July, Michael Jordan broke his silence with a statement to the Undefeated.

“As a proud American, a father who lost his own dad in a senseless act of violence, and a black man, I have been deeply troubled by the deaths of African-Americans at the hands of law enforcement and angered by the cowardly and hateful targeting and killing of police officers,” he said.

“I know this country is better than that, and I can no longer stay silent,” he added.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

LeBron James Calls Threat of Police Violence a ‘Scary-A** Situation’

Jason Miller/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — LeBron James doesn’t mince words when it comes to the threat of police violence against the black community.

“I look at my son being four years removed from driving his own car and being able to leave the house on his own,” the NBA star said on Monday, prior to the beginning of training camp for his Cleveland Cavaliers. “It’s a scary thought right now to think if my son gets pulled over, and you tell your kids if you just [comply], and you just listen to the police that they will be respectful and things will work itself out. And you see these videos that continue to come out. It’s a scary-a** situation that if my son calls me and said he’s been pulled over, that I’m not that confident that things are going to go well and that my son is going to return home.”

James referred specifically to the wave of sports protests started by San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick.

At “media day” around the country Monday, NBA players and coaches joined James in voicing concerns about police shootings. Roughly 75 percent of the players in the NBA are black, and some of the most famous black athletes in America play the sport, including James.

At the San Antonio Spurs’ media day, widely-respected head coach Gregg Popovich, who is white, also spoke about the issue of race, calling it “the elephant in the room in our country.”

2016 Olympic gold medal winner Carmelo Anthony spoke of the need to address the issue of police shootings at the New York Knicks’ media day.

“We want to do it in the right way,” Anthony said Monday. “Whatever we do, we want to do it as a collective group.”

Following the police shooting deaths of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile in July, which were captured on video and spurred large protests across the country, Anthony reached out to fellow athletes on social media, urging them to “step up and take charge” of the political environment.

“These politicians have to step up and fight for change. I’m calling for all my fellow ATHLETES to step up and take charge,” Anthony wrote in an Instagram post that featured an image from 1967 of top black athletes, including Jim Brown and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, holding a news conference in support Muhammad Ali’s refusal to be drafted into the Army during the Vietnam War.

Anthony revisited the sentiment Monday.

“Everybody sees what’s going on out there in the sports world and what everybody is talking about,” Anthony said, referring to the protests started by Kaepernick. “So for me it’s not about one single gesture. If the guys want to create a gesture or figure it out, we’ll figure it out. We will address those issues. My goal is to keep the conversation moving, the conversation going. Talking to the right people, getting in front of the right people, making a stand for kinda what we believe in — whether you’re black, white, indifferent. I think it’s for everybody to come on board and figure everything out.”

Former NFL quarterback-turned-sports talk show host, Boomer Esiason, who is white, drew criticism for preemptively voicing concerns about the possibility of a protest.

“If Carmelo Anthony walks on the court in a Knicks uniform and starts in with this,” Esiason said, “I think it’s going to create a lot of problems.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Conor McGregor to Fight Eddie Alvarez in UFC 205 Main Event

Steve Marcus/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The UFC is coming to New York for the first time ever.

UFC 205 is scheduled to take place Nov. 12 at Madison Square Garden. The main event will feature Conor McGregor and Eddie Alvarez battling it out for the lightweight title.

IT’S GOING DOWN!! 🇮🇪 @TheNotoriousMMA challenges 🇺🇸 @EAlvarezFight for the lightweight title @TheGarden!! #UFC205 is OFFICIALLY 🔥 🔥 🔥 pic.twitter.com/vRtyi34QEd

— UFC (@ufc) September 27, 2016

Should McGregor, the current featherweight champion, win the fight, he would become the first-ever simultaneous two-weight world champion.

“This is the fight the fans wanted, and I’m excited that our very first event at Madison Square Garden will be headlined by Eddie Alvarez defending the lightweight title against Conor McGregor,” UFC president Dana White told ESPN. “This card has three world title fights and is the best card in UFC history.”

Tickets for UFC 205 go on sale Friday. It’s the first professional mixed martial arts event to take place in Madison Square Garden since a 1997 ban on the sport was lifted earlier this year.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Brian Vickers and Other NASCAR Stars Remember Arnold Palmer

Bettmann/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Brian Vickers is one of several NASCAR drivers who took to social media to remember the late golfing legend Arnold Palmer, who passed away Sunday at the age of 87.

Vickers worked with Palmer, along with basketball icon Jerry West and NBA star Chris Bosh, on ad campaigns for Xarelto, a prescription medicine used to reduce the risk of stroke and blood clots in people with atrial fibrillation.

Vickers tweeted a photo of himself with Palmer, and wrote, “Fantastic getting to know a Legend of the game and a model for all professionals. Mr. Palmer will be missed!”

Here are a few more tributes to Palmer from the NASCAR world:

* Clint Bowyer: “Pictures are worth a thousand words. Man made a helluva name for himself. #RIPArnoldPalmer.”

* Ricky Stenhouse Jr.: “legend of the game we love, RIP Arnie gunna have to have a Arnold Palmer to drink this week.”

* Darrell Waltrip: “I’ll never forget meeting Arnold Palmer, kind, gentle, humble, he was a great ambassador for golf, I’ll never forget that smile, RIP.”

* Larry McReynolds: “What a rough day in sports, the tragic loss of Jose Fernandez & the passing of Arnold Palmer! Such a class act! Prayers to families of both!”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Scoreboard Roundup — 9/26/16

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the latest scores and winners:

INTERLEAGUE

Milwaukee 8, Texas 3

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Chi White Sox 7, Tampa Bay 1
Seattle 4, Houston 3, 11 Innings
L.A. Angels 2, Oakland 1
N-Y Yankees 7, Toronto 5
Cleveland 7, Detroit 4

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Cincinnati 15, St. Louis 2
Arizona 14, Washington 4
Chi Cubs 12, Pittsburgh 2
Miami 7, N-Y Mets 3

NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Atlanta 45, New Orleans 32

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Marlins Pay Tribute to Jose Fernandez by Wearing No. 16 Jersey

Joe Skipper/Getty Images(MIAMI) — The Miami Marlins paid tribute Monday to star pitcher Jose Fernandez, who died in a boating accident early Sunday, by wearing No. 16 jerseys in the first game since his death, ESPN reported.

A moment of silence was held at Marlins Park, where the Miami players on the field stood surrounding the pitcher’s mound, which had the number 16 printed on it.

Some Marlins embraced their teammates in tears as “Take Me Out to the Ballgame” was played on the trumpet during the moment of silence. The entire Marlins lineup then rubbed the dirt from the mound and rubbed it on the side of their pants, a tactic Fernandez would use to keep his hands dry, according to the Fox Sports commentator calling the game.

It was an emotional Monday night at Marlins Park, where Miami players are still in shock and mourning over the death of their 24-year-old teammate. Marlins infielder Dee Gordon wore a T-shirt with the letters “RIP” and an image of Fernandez standing at the pitcher’s mound under his uniform during the game against the Mets.

Fans ventured to Marlins Park to leave items in a makeshift memorial for Fernandez.

The Mets paid tribute to Fernandez in their own way Sunday, by hanging a Mets jersey with his last name over their dugout at Citi Field in Queens, New York.

Fernandez died in a boating accident along with two others — 27-year-old Emilio Macias and 25-year-old Eduardo Rivero — from trauma, ESPN reported, citing Lorenzo Veloz, spokesman for the Florida Fish and wildlife Conservation. Speeding is suspected to be a factor, Veloz said. The investigation is ongoing.

The Marlins canceled Sunday’s game against the Atlanta Braves after the news of Fernandez’s death.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →