Review Category : National Sports

Seahawks Wide Receiver Sidney Rice Retiring at Age 27

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — After seven seasons in the NFL, Seattle Seahawks wide receiver Sidney Rice has decided to retire from the sport of football at the age of 27.

ESPN is reporting that Rice is walking away from the game because of a history or concussions.

“After careful consideration and seven wonderful years playing in the National Football League, including the last three for the Seattle Seahawks, I have decided to retire from playing in the National Football League,” Rice said in the statement. “I have enjoyed my experiences with all of my coaches, teammates and passionate Seahawks fans.”

Rice was a second-round draft pick out of South Carolina in 2007 by the Minnesota Vikings. His best season came in 2009 when he caught 83 passes for 1,312 yards with eight touchdowns.

Injuries have kept him off the field for much of the time since that season. He played a full season in 2012, but he’s missed 25 games from 2010-20-13.

Rice had re-signed with the Seahawks for $1 million during the offseason.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Rob Gronkowski Cleared for Training Camp

Elsa/Getty Images(FOXBOROUGH, Mass.) — New England Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski has been cleared to play by doctors and will be ready for training camp on Thursday, head coach Bill Belichick said Wednesday.

“It’s a positive,” said veteran offensive lineman Logan Mankins, one of the Patriots’ captains. “We were all hoping Gronk would have a good recovery and so far he has. Anytime you can have Gronk on the field, it’s great.”

Gronkowski underwent surgery on his right ACL on Jan. 9 and has fully recovered.

Gronkowski said last week that he plans on playing in all 16 games this season. “I’m always antsy to get back on the field, no matter when it is. I just want to play football. I love playing the game,” he said then.

The Patriots open up against the Miami Dolphins on Sept. 7.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Rangers Re-Sign Mats Zuccarello

Len Redkoles/NHLI via Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The New York Rangers and forward Mats Zuccarello agreed to a one-year deal worth $3.5-million on Tuesday.

Zuccarello and New York avoided salary arbitration by getting a deal done.

Zuccarello scored a career high 19 goals and 40 assists in 77 games last season.

The Rangers made it to their first Stanley Cup since 1994, but were defeated by the Los Angeles Kings in five games.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Rangers Re-Sign Mats Zuccarello

Len Redkoles/NHLI via Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The New York Rangers and forward Mats Zuccarello agreed to a one-year deal worth $3.5-million on Tuesday.

Zuccarello and New York avoided salary arbitration by getting a deal done.

Zuccarello scored a career high 19 goals and 40 assists in 77 games last season.

The Rangers made it to their first Stanley Cup since 1994, but were defeated by the Los Angeles Kings in five games.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Broncos Owner Pat Bowlen Steps Down Due to Alzheimer’s Disease

Scott Boehm/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen announced on Wednesday that he has stepped down from his post as he is battling Alzheimer’s disease.

“In recent years, Denver Broncos owner Pat Bowlen has taken a reduced role with his team while courageously and privately battling Alzheimer’s disease,” the team said in a statement.

“The Broncos are very saddened that Mr. Bowlen is no longer able to be part of the team’s daily operations due to his condition. We continue to offer our full support, compassion and respect to ‘Mr. B,’ who has faced Alzheimer’s disease with such dignity and strength.”

Bowlen has been the owner of the team since 1984 and has seen his team go to six Super Bowls, winning back-to-back titles in 1997 and 1998. The Broncos have a .604 win percentage under Bowlen’s tenure and are worth $1.1-billion according to Forbes.

Team president Joe Ellis will take over control of the Broncos.

“This is a sad day for the NFL,” commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement to The Denver Post. “Pat Bowlen’s leadership has been critical to the success of the Broncos and the entire NFL. From building a championship team that is a pillar of the community to his important work for the league on television and labor matters, Pat’s love of the game drove him and we have all benefited from his passion and wisdom. But the time has come for Pat to focus on his health and we fully support him. Joe Ellis has been a trusted executive for Pat for many years after working with us at the league office. Joe’s deep experience ensures that the Broncos will continue to have strong leadership.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Indians Recall Danny Salazar

(MINNEAPOLIS) — Pitching prospect Danny Salazar has been recalled by the Cleveland Indians.

The Indians wasted no time getting Salazar on the mound, giving him the start in Tuesday night’s 8 to 2 win over the Minnesota Twins.

Salazar was sharp, throwing five innings, giving up one run, walking three while striking out six.

The team had high hopes for the 24-year-old this season after he started 10 games last season pitching 52 innings, with a 3.12 ERA, striking out 65 batters while walking only 15. But Salazar wasn’t as sharp and was sent to Triple-A Columbus on May 16 after starting eight games, during which he compiled a 1-4 record, 5.53 ERA, and a 1.62 WHIP.

To make room for Salazar the Indians optioned reliever C.C. Lee to Columbus.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Tulowitzki Placed on 15-Day DL

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images(DENVER) — Shortstop Troy Tulowitzki was placed on the 15-day disabled list by the Colorado Rockies Tuesday with a left hip flexor strain.

The move is retroactive to July 20, when he left the team’s game against Pittsburgh after running out a grounder.

The 29-year-old Tulowitzki has not played over 150 games in a season since 2009.

Before the injury, Tulowitzki was putting up fantastic numbers leading baseball in batting average (.340) and on-base percentage (.432) while scoring 71 runs, hitting 21 homers and knocking in 52 runs.

Both Tulowitzki and Rockies skipper Walt Weiss don’t think the injury is too serious.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Yankees Trade for 3B Chase Headley

Jason Wise/MLB Photos via Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The New York Yankees acquired third baseman Chase Headley from the San Diego Padres in exchange for infielder Yangervis Solarte and minor league pitcher Rafael De Paula.

The 30-year-old Headley had a great 2012, hitting .286, with 31 home runs, 115 RBIs, 17 stolen bases and a .376 on-base percentage. But Headley broke his left thumb at the beginning of 2013 and hasn’t been the same since.

“I think he can certainly deliver a long ball and this ballpark is certainly more conductive to that than where he’s coming from,” Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. “I think he’s a professional hitter and a switch-hitter that can spray it all over the place. I don’t think we’re getting a big thumper, but I do think we’re getting an upgrade and a professional at-bat. He’s going to give you a good at-bat.”

Headley is in the final year of his contract which pays him $10.525 million in 2014.

This season, Headley is hitting .229, with seven home runs and 32 RBIs.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Woodhead Agrees to Contract Extension with Chargers

Peter G. Aiken/Getty Images(SAN DIEGO) — Running back Danny Woodhead agreed to a two-year contract extension with the San Diego Chargers Tuesday that will keep him in San Diego through the 2016 season.

The 29-year-old Woodhead joined the Chargers last season after playing his first four seasons with New York Jets and New England Patriots.

“Danny is an integral part of our offense,” Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said. “His work ethic and on-field production were key elements last year. We look forward to having him be a part of the Chargers organization into the future.”

Last season, the 5-foot-9 Woodhead had 1,034 yards from scrimmage catching a career-high 76 balls for 605 yards and six touchdowns, while rushing for another 429 yards and two touchdowns.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →