Review Category : National Sports

Gordon Leads Dodgers Past Braves, 6-4

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) — Dodgers second baseman Dee Gordon scored four times as Los Angeles (70-53) took care of the Atlanta Braves (61-60) on Thursday, 6-4.

With L.A. leading 1-0 in the second inning, Dodgers catcher Drew Butera took the first pitch he saw from Braves starter Aaron Harang (9-7) and sent it over the left-field wall for a two-run home run. Harang allowed five earned runs on seven hits and three walks over 4 1-3 innings of work.

Robert Hernandez (7-8) kept the Braves in check across six innings, giving up just one earned run on three hits and four walks. Kenley Jansen picked up his 34th save of the season.

Braves outfielder Justin Upton left the game in the eighth with a mild left hamstring strain. The team says his status is day-to-day.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Rob Manfred Elected Baseball’s Next Commissioner

iStockphoto(BALTIMORE) — Rob Manfred has been elected Major League Baseball’s next commissioner. He will assume the role when current commissioner Bud Selig retires in January.

Manfred beat out Boston Red Sox chairman Tom Werner on Thursday to become baseball’s 10th commissioner.

The 55-year-old Manfred began working with MLB on a full-time basis in 1998. For 15 years, he served as executive vice president of labor relations. In 2013, he was promoted as the chief operating officer.

Selig has been at the helm since 1992, when then-commissioner Fay Vincent was forced out by the owners.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Tigers Tame Pirates 5-2 Behind Scherzer’s 14 K’s

Thinkstock(DETROIT) — Reigning American League Cy Young Award winner Max Scherzer (14-4) struck out 14 batters as the Detroit Tigers (65-54) beat the Pittsburgh Pirates (64-57) 5-2 on Thursday. The righthander tossed 121 pitches over eight scoreless frames, allowing just three hits and two walks.

Outfielder J.D. Martinez led the offensive attack for the Tigers, going two-for-three with a homer and two RBIs. Third baseman Nick Castellanos contributed to the winning effort with two hits and two RBIs.

Pirates starter Francisco Liriano (3-9) allowed two earned runs, three hits and four walks while striking out nine across six innings of work.

Pittsburgh travels to Washington to take on the Nationals in a three-game series beginning on Friday, while Detroit will welcome the Seattle Mariners for a three-game weekend series.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Pedro Martinez: Bonds and Clemens are Hall of Famer’s

Jim Rogash/Getty Images(BOSTON) — Former MLB pitcher Pedro Martinez believes Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens should be voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Martinez, along with Clemens, Nomar Garciaparra, and broadcaster Joe Castiglione were all inducted into the Red Sox Hall of Fame on Thursday and spoke out about the issue.

“With all due respect to everybody that votes, I’ll have to say Roger and Barry Bonds are two guys that I think had enough numbers before anything came out to actually earn a spot in the Hall of Fame,” Martinez said. “I’m not quite sure 100 percent how close they will be before all the things came out, but in my heart, if you asked me before any of that, I would’ve said, ‘Yes, 100 percent,’ without looking back.

“It wasn’t just the individual performances. [It was] how they dominated the time that they came up and stayed in the big leagues until those things happened. I believe they have a legit chance, and I think, with time, the voters will take into consideration what they did previously,” Martinez continued.

Clemens was in attendance at the ceremony, but decided not to comment on the issue.

“I don’t know if it’s that important,” Clemens said. “It’s not going to change me as a person. I tell people I’ve got bits and pieces of us there now. We go visit those people and they’re great to us, but it’s not something I sit up and worry about every day.

“I’m far too busy to worry about something like that. I know what I did in my career and how I did it, and I did it right. I can’t control what people think or people that don’t look at facts.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Rockies’ Troy Tulowitzki Out for Season

Doug Pensinger/Getty Images(SAN DIEGO) — Colorado Rockies shortstop Troy Tulowitzki will have season ending hip surgery, the team announced on Wednesday.

Tulowitzki has a torn labrum in his hip and underwent a dry needling procedure on July 28 in Philadelphia. He started to swing a bat last week and felt good, but progress slowed, which led to the decision.

“I’m looking forward to getting back and playing the game I love,” Tulowitzki said Wednesday. “I will do everything I can to perform at a high level for the rest of my career. This should answer a lot of the leg issues I have had in my past.”

Rockies trainer Keith Dugger said Tulowitzki should take five months to fully recover. He added, “You get pretty active right around that three-month mark, sometimes a little sooner. There are kind of guidelines at certain time periods that we follow, range of motion, strengthening exercises, then you get into functional strengthening.”

Tulowitzki will end the season batting .340.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

ASU Offensive Lineman Chip Sarafin Announces He’s Gay

iStockphoto(NEW YORK) — Arizona State offensive lineman Chip Sarafin told Compete Magazine that he is gay.

Sarafin becomes the first openly gay player in Division I football and told the magazine that former Missouri defensive lineman Michael Sam, who is currently fighting for a roster spot on the St. Louis Rams, inspired him to no longer hide his sexuality.

“It was really personal to me and it benefited my peace of mind greatly,” Sarafin told the mag — a Tempe, Arizona-based LGBT sports publication — of revealing his sexual orientation to teammates this past spring.

Sam, who continues to impress his teammates and head coach Jeff Fisher, sent his own message to Sarafin.

“Congratulations Chip Sarafin for having the courage to be yourself. Wishing you and your teammates much success this season. #courage2014,” Sam tweeted on Wednesday.

ASU head coach Todd Graham also had positive words for his player. “We are a brotherhood that is not defined by cultural and personal differences, but rather an individual’s commitment to the Sun Devil Way,” he said in a statement. “Chip is a fifth-year senior and a Scholar Baller, a graduate and a master’s student. His commitment to service is unmatched and it is clear he is on his way to leading a successful life after his playing career, a goal that I have for every student-athlete. Diversity and acceptance are two of the pillars of our program, and he has full support from his teammates and the coaching staff.”

Sarafin has spent most of his time as a reserve offensive lineman and has yet to play in a game.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Tanaka Hopes to Pitch Again This Season

Hannah Foslien/Getty Images(BALTIMORE) — New York Yankees starting pitcher Masahiro Tanaka threw 10 pitches off flat ground Wednesday as he inches closer to a return to the team’s pitching rotation.

Tanaka has been out since July 8 after feeling pain in his pitching elbow in a start against the Cleveland Indians. An MRI later showed Tanaka had a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament.

“I think I have a chance if everything progresses the way I want it to and we want it to,” Tanaka said when asked if he would pitch again this year.

Tanaka’s goal is to avoid surgery and return to the Yankees rotation in September.

“I think you start thinking about flat ground, and after that flat ground, you start thinking about a mound,” Yankees skipper Joe Girardi said when talking about Tanaka’s rehab. “I don’t have a date for that.”

The 25-year-old Tanaka was having a stellar rookie season before the injury. The right-hander pitched 129 1/3 innings, compiling a 12-4 record, 2.51 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, 19 walks and 135 strikeouts.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Rangers Send Darvish to DL

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images(ARLINGTON, Texas) — The Texas Rangers sent starter Yu Darvish to the 15-day disabled list with right elbow inflammation on Wednesday.

Darvish felt tightness in the elbow while playing catch Monday. The tightness did not go away on Tuesday, so Darvish skipped his bullpen session. He played catch for a little bit on Wednesday before the Rangers decided to place the three-time All Star on the DL.

Darvish has been a bright spot for a struggling Rangers team this season. The 27-year-old has thrown 144 1/3 innings, compiling a 10-7 record, 3.06 ERA, 1.26 WHIP, 49 walks and 182 strikeouts.

The Rangers will recall left-hander Robbie Ross from Triple-A Round Rock to make Darvish’s start Thursday.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Yedlin Signs 4-Year Deal with Tottenham

Michael Dodge/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Defender DeAndre Yedlin is headed to England.

Yedlin’s current team, the Seattle Sounders, reached an agreement Wednesday to transfer the 21-year-old to Tottenham Hotspur.

Yedlin signed a four-year deal with Tottenham, but will stay with Seattle through the end of the 2014 MLS season, which ends in December, possibly longer.

According to ESPN’s Taylor Twellman, the Spurs will pay MLS a $4 million transfer fee, 75 percent of that will go to the Sounders because Yedlin is a homegrown player from Seattle.

“We are extremely proud of what DeAndre has accomplished in his young professional career,” Sounders part owner and general manager Adrian Hanauer said in a statement. “His success is a reflection of his individual ability as well as soccer development in Washington State and the continued commitment to progress the sport in this country. DeAndre is and always will be a special member of the Sounders FC family, and we are excited to have him in Seattle for the remainder of the season.”

Yedlin came in as a substitute in three games for the U.S. National Team in the 2014 World Cup.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Everett Golson Takes Back Notre Dame’s Starting QB Job

Joel Auerbach/Getty Images(SOUTH BEND, Ind.) — After missing all off last season due to suspension, Everett Golson is Notre Dame’s starting quarterback once again.

Golson, who in 2012 led the Fighting Irish to the BCS national title game, beat out redshirt freshman Malik Zaire to reclaim the job.

The decision was announced Wednesday by Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly.

“Generally when you look at making that decision, I’m using from January through right now as the basis of that decision, so winter workouts, how he handled himself with the team, our workouts, his spring practice and then his leadership in the summer and in camp here,” Kelly said. “I think he’s put himself in a position to get that opportunity to be our starter against Rice.”

Golson, 21, was suspended for the 2013 season for what he called “poor academic judgement.”

In 2012, the 6-foot, 200-pound Golson completed 58.8 percent of his passes for 2,405 yards, 12 touchdowns and six interceptions. He also ran for 298 yards and six touchdowns.

Golson and Notre Dame start their season August 30 at home versus Rice.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →