Review Category : Top Stories

Canada’s Top Cop Wants More Terror Arrests, But Needs Evidence

Getty Images(OTTAWA, Ontario) — Canadian intelligence and law enforcement officers are “reevaluating” some 90 people they suspect are linked to terrorist groups in the wake of the deadly shooting near Canada’s Parliament, but the nation’s top cop said that unfortunately for him, no arrests are on the immediate horizon.

“We’re reevaluating all of our individuals to make sure that those that present the greatest sort of risk are assessed and [officers] have resources attributed to them either to do surveillance, focus on the investigation, to get evidence, to make arrests,” Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Commissioner Bob Paulson told reporters Thursday. “We have not made arrests today. We do not have any intention of making imminent arrests. Generally, I would like to say that I have intentions of making lots of arrests, but in terms of the evidence and as the evidence is collected and the cases are built, we will be making arrests.”

Gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau was shot and killed by security forces Wednesday after he opened fire with a small caliber rifle in Canada’s Parliament in Ottawa. Minutes earlier, police say Zehaf-Bibeau had gunned down a uniformed soldier, Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, at a nearby national war monument.

Though Zehaf-Bibeau, was not one of the nearly 100 suspects that the northern nation had been watching — and police say the only known link between him and other jihadis is an email found on another accused terrorist’s hard drive — the case prompted Paulson and other top Canadian officials to question the nation’s current domestic anti-terrorism posture.

“…[W]e live in a dangerous world. Terrorism has been here with us for a while, and dangerously close on a number of occasions…We will not be intimidated. We will be vigilant, but we will not run scared. We will be prudent, but we will not panic,” Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper told Parliament Thursday, a day after he and other lawmakers had been within feet of the rifle-wielding gunman. “As members know, in recent weeks I have been saying that our laws and police powers need to be strengthened in the area of surveillance, detention, and arrest. They need to be much strengthened.”

Paulson wondered aloud about legally lowering the bar for taking law enforcement action against suspects.

“I understand that sort of we need to look at all options in terms of trying to deal with this sort of difficult and hard to understand threat and balance that against what we’ve seen in previous engagements with this threat, that we are able to act, you know, decisively, quickly, preventatively, and perhaps on a threshold that is somewhat lower,” he said during his press conference. “You know, without throwing somebody in jail forever, but being able to act decisively at a point where the suspicion is realized.”

Speaking next to Paulson, Ottawa Police Chief Charles Bordeleau said he has seen a “gap evolve over law enforcement’s ability to maintain control over these individuals that are being radicalized.”

Canada is hardly the only Western nation struggling with what to do about a number of citizens in country linked to terror groups abroad — including a growing number of Westerners who have traveled to Syria and Iraq to join in the fight for or against the terrorist group the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS). ABC News reported back in January that the FBI was already watching dozens of people who had fought in Syria and returned to the U.S.

British intelligence suspects that hundreds of its citizens have traveled to Syria to fight and last week law enforcement there announced terrorism charges against four men that had been arrested in London in the two weeks previous. The men, police alleged, had conducted “hostile reconnaissance” on an English police station and military base, had purchased a firearm and silencer and had reams of “jihadi material” on their computers.

The same day as that announcement, Metropolitan Police’s National Policing Lead for Counter Terrorism Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley wrote separately on the MET website that the MET has made over 200 arrests this year alone and is running “exceptionally high numbers of counter-terrorism investigations, the likes of which we have not seen for several years.”

Rowley too spoke about the delicate balance between disrupting potentially deadly plots and gathering enough evidence against the suspects.

“Public safety is our number one priority and we will always focus our disruption activity against those posing the greatest and most imminent threat. Sometimes this means intervening very early — essential to prevent attacks, but presenting enormous challenges in securing sufficient evidence to charge,” he wrote.

In the U.S., reports of the rise in domestic terrorism investigations came on the heels of startling revelations about the National Security Agency’s pervasive foreign and domestic surveillance programs, adding fuel to an already raging debate about the balance between civil liberties and national security — a debate not restricted by America’s northern border, as Canada was already considering conservative legislation to strengthen its security forces.

Thomas Mulcair, leader of Canada’s opposition New Democratic party, spoke immediately after the Prime Minister Thursday.

“[The attack] has only strengthened our commitment to each other and to a peaceful world. Let us not become more suspicious of our neighbors. Let us not be driven by fear because in Canada, love always triumphs over hate,” he said.

Then Justin Trudeau, head of the Liberty Party, added, “We are a proud democracy, a welcoming and peaceful nation. We are a country of open arms, open minds, and open hearts. We are a nation of fairness, justice and the rule of law.”

“We will not be intimidated into changing that, by anybody. These are instead the very values and ideals upon which we must rely in the days ahead…[Those who perpetrate attacks] are criminals, and criminals will not dictate how we act as a nation, how we govern ourselves, or how we treat each other. They will not dictate our values,” he said.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Shooting Reported at High School in Washington State

ABC News(MARYSVILLE, Wash.) — Authorities are responding to reports of shots fired Friday morning at Marysville Pilchuck High School in Marysville, Washington.

KOMO reports that three people were injured and two were airlifted to hospitals.

The high school is being evacuated. The school reportedly has about 2,700 students.

Student Alyx Peitzsch says she was in the cafeteria when she heard four shots and turned to see a gunman pointing a weapon at a table of students.

“I saw them point it at the feet of the students and I ran first to the wall and I’m like, ‘I’m not staying in here,’ so I ran out and called my mom,” Peitzsch said.

Bree Grinde has two children in the school and spoke to both of them.

They’re hiding under desks, in closets, anywhere that they can,” Grine said. “I’m very concerned. I’ve got two kids in there. I know that they’re ok. I’m just really concerned about all the other kids and what’s going on right now.”

More ABC news videos | ABC Health News

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

US Military Launches 18 Airstrikes Against ISIS in Syria, Iraq

iStock/Thinkstock(TAMPA, Fla.) — The U.S. military continued its attack against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) targets in Syria and Iraq, launching 18 airstrikes on Thursday and Friday.

According to U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), six of the strikes were in Syria, near Kobani. They hit three ISIS units and destroyed a vehicle.

The remaining 12 airstrikes in Iraq destroyed two vehicles and a mortar position near Mosul Dam; hit two small units and destroyed a vehicle south of the Bayji Oil Refinery; struck a training camp near Bayji; hit two small units and destroyed three vehicles near Fallujah; and destroyed five ISIS buildings near Zumar.

CENTCOM said all the aircraft used in the attacks managed to exit the areas safely.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Shooting Reported at High School in Washington State

ABC News(MARYSVILLE, Wash.) — Authorities are responding to reports of shots fired Friday morning at Marysville Pilchuck High School in Marysville, Washington.

KOMO reports that three people were injured and two were airlifted to hospitals.

The high school is being evacuated. The school reportedly has about 2,700 students.

Student Alyx Peitzsch says she was in the cafeteria when she heard four shots and turned to see a gunman pointing a weapon at a table of students.

“I saw them point it at the feet of the students and I ran first to the wall and I’m like, ‘I’m not staying in here,’ so I ran out and called my mom,” Peitzsch said.

Bree Grinde has two children in the school and spoke to both of them.

They’re hiding under desks, in closets, anywhere that they can,” Grine said. “I’m very concerned. I’ve got two kids in there. I know that they’re ok. I’m just really concerned about all the other kids and what’s going on right now.”

More ABC news videos | ABC Health News

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

US Military Launches 18 Airstrikes Against ISIS in Syria, Iraq

iStock/Thinkstock(TAMPA, Fla.) — The U.S. military continued its attack against Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) targets in Syria and Iraq, launching 18 airstrikes on Thursday and Friday.

According to U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM), six of the strikes were in Syria, near Kobani. They hit three ISIS units and destroyed a vehicle.

The remaining 12 airstrikes in Iraq destroyed two vehicles and a mortar position near Mosul Dam; hit two small units and destroyed a vehicle south of the Bayji Oil Refinery; struck a training camp near Bayji; hit two small units and destroyed three vehicles near Fallujah; and destroyed five ISIS buildings near Zumar.

CENTCOM said all the aircraft used in the attacks managed to exit the areas safely.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Ebola Outbreak Taking Its Toll on Doctors Without Borders

P.K. Lee/MSF(GENEVA) — Doctors Without Borders is paying a heavy price in treating Ebola.

The Geneva-based group tells ABC News that since the outbreak began in March, it has sent over 700 staff to the affected countries, working alongside roughly 3,000 nationals. Of all of those, two dozen have been infected and 13 have died.

In every staff infection case, Doctors Without Borders conducts a thorough investigation. It has found that most of those who contracted Ebola did so while away from work.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Ebola-Free Nurse Nina Pham Visits President Obama

The Pham Family(BETHESDA, Md.) — Before returning to her “normal life” in Texas, newly Ebola-free Dallas nurse Nina Pham got a hug from President Obama in the Oval Office.

Hours earlier, Pham had walked out of the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center, where she has been in isolation since Oct. 16, to a round of applause. She thanked everyone who cared for her since her Oct. 11 Ebola diagnosis, and said she would finally go home to her dog, Bentley.

“I feel fortunate and blessed to be standing here today,” she told reporters, adding that she hopes to return to her “normal life.”

Pham, 26, contracted Ebola from Liberian national Thomas Duncan, who flew to the United States in September and was diagnosed with Ebola at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas.

Pham, a nurse there, cared for Duncan when he was especially contagious. He died on Oct. 8, and she tested positive for the deadly virus three days later.

It was the first Ebola transmission on U.S. soil.

“I am on my way back to recovery even as I reflect on others who have not been so fortunate,” Pham said, reading from her prepared statement at the press conference.

Pham’s colleague, nurse Amber Vinson, 29, also tested positive for the virus on Oct. 15, and was flown from Dallas to Emory University Hospital later that night. The following day, Pham was flown to the Special Clinical Studies Unit of the National Institutes of Health Clinical Center in Bethesda, Maryland, at the Dallas hospital’s request.

At the news conference announcing Pham’s discharge, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, said she tested negative for Ebola five times, and that it wasn’t clear which treatment saved her because they were all experimental.

“I want to first tell you what a great pleasure and in many respects, a privilege …to have the opportunity to treat and care for and get to know such an extremely courageous and lovely person,” Fauci said, adding that she represents the health care workers who “put themselves on the line”

He said he wore Pham’s nursing school colors for the press conference in her honor.

“I’m going to miss Nina a lot,” Fauci quipped at the end of the conference, adding that he gave her his cellphone number.

Pham also thanked Dr. Kent Brantly, the American missionary who had been treating Ebola patients in Liberia when he contracted the deadly virus in late July. Brantly was declared virus-free in September and has donated plasma to Pham and other American Ebola patients in the hopes of boosting their ability to fight the virus with his antibodies.

Pham’s dog, Bentley, was taken to an animal shelter following her diagnosis. He has tested negative for Ebola, but his 21-day incubation period isn’t over until Nov. 1. They will likely reunite a few days later.

Vinson’s family announced on Oct. 22 that she, too, tested negative for the virus at Emory.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Joe Maddon Opts Out of Tampa

Brian Blanco/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon won’t be returning in 2015. Maddon exercised his opt-out clause in his contract and is leaving the team.

“We tried diligently and aggressively to sign Joe to a third contract extension prior to his decision,” Rays owner Stuart Sternberg said in a statement. “As of yesterday afternoon, Joe enabled himself to explore opportunities throughout Major League Baseball. He will not be managing the Rays in 2015.”

ESPN.com reports that Maddon leaving doesn’t necessarily mean that he’ll be going to join the Los Angeles Dodgers after they hired new president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman. He worked with Maddon and the Rays as an executive vice president.

Maddon is a two-time AL Manager of the Year and compiled a 781-729 record in 11 seasons.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Food Network Star Sunny Anderson Opens Up About Ulcerative Colitis

Brad Barket/Getty Images for NYCWFF(NEW YORK) — There’s a reason why Sunny Anderson isn’t keen on eating vegetables and it has nothing to do with personal taste.

The Food Network star revealed that for the past 20 years, she’s suffered from ulcerative colitis, a chronic disease that affects the large intestine and doesn’t allow her body to absorb nutrients as it should. Unfortunately, greens, along with vegetable and fruit skins, can trigger flare-ups.

“I can’t just have a big salad because my body doesn’t break it down,” she explained to ABC News. “If you get my cookbook, there are only four vegetable recipes. Everything else is meat and potatoes!”

Anderson, 39, has since teamed up with the the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America to raise awareness of the disease and develop recipes (available on getyourfullcourse.com) to help others who have it. For the chef, her diagnosis came at age 19, after suffering from cramps “worse than that time of the month” and bloody stools for a month.

“I was thinking it was stress or the food [I'd been eating in Korea]…but luckily my dad is a doctor and I felt comfortable talking to him,” she said.

“Sometimes people think it’s something they ate or stress,” she added, “I can’t tell you how many times I cried. Thank goodness [for my father] who was a doctor and we were raised in an open family, but going through a battery of tests was really, really tough.”

Now, she’s encouraging others who have noticed symptoms to see their doctors, though she admitted discussing stools and other symptoms can be “embarrassing.”

Still, a colitis diagnosis doesn’t necessarily mean those who have the disease need to change their diets completely — they just need to be more mindful of what they’re eating.

“A wedge salad is one of my favorites. Argula is one of my favorites. Sometimes, you know what you’re doing to yourself and you pay for it,” she said. “But it’s important to know what it is, and what the symptoms are.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Intruder Shot by Golfer’s Wife May Have Been Her Ex-Lover: Police

Thinkstock(TAMPA, Fla.) — The wife of a semi-pro golfer shot an intruder in an August home invasion — but a police report released this week revealed that the wife and intruder were allegedly having an affair, with authorities declining to bring criminal charges in the case.

Mishay Simpson, 28, the wife of golfer Rhett Simpson, was home alone with the couple’s daughter on Aug. 19 when their home alarm system went off, police said.

Simpson told investigators that someone came upstairs and opened the door, according to the police report.

She saw someone standing in the doorway. “He began to back up, facing her, and she pulled the trigger,” the report states.

The man was identified as Andrew Noll, 23, an acquaintance of Simpson’s. He took a photo seconds after being shot.

“When she opened the door, we looked right at each other for a few seconds,” Noll told investigators. “I turned around, and she shot me.”

One week before the shooting, she filed a request for a restraining order, telling police that Noll had been stalking her.

But Noll’s story is much different.

“I had the codes and the keys to her house,” he said. “I didn’t open the bedroom door. She did, and she shot me from behind.”

The nature of their relationship remains in question. He claims — in a sworn statement — that they were having an affair, but had recently broken it off.

On the night of the shooting, Simpson reportedly texted him. But Simpson told police that the two have never been involved sexually.

Simpson and her attorney declined to comment when reached by ABC News.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →