Ronald Martinez/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has changed his mind once again. The embattled owner has withdrawn support of the sale negotiated by his wife and will go forth with a $1 billion lawsuit against the NBA and commissioner Adam Silver.
“I have decided that I must fight to protect my rights,” Sterling said Monday in a letter. “While my position may not be popular, I believe that my rights to privacy and the preservation of my rights to due process should not be trampled.”
The deal to sell the Clippers to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer for $2 billion was negotiated by Sterling’s wife Shelly last week. Max Blecher, Sterling’s attorney, now says the owner will challenge the sale, as well as the actions taken by his wife.
Sterling and his attorneys are alleging that that the league violated his rights by using information obtained from an “illegal” recording that brought to light racist comments made to a girlfriend.
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio