iStockPhoto/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — The Minnesota Vikings have announced that Adrian Peterson has been placed on the NFL’s Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list and will not play this Sunday.

The decision comes after the team announced earlier this week that it was reinstating him while the legal process involving charges of child abuse against the running back proceeded.

The Vikings now say Peterson will not be allowed to participate in any team activities until his legal matters are behind him.

The Vikings issued the following statement:

“This has been an ongoing and deliberate process since last Friday’s news. In conversations with the NFL over the last two days, the Vikings advised the League of the team’s decision to revisit the situation regarding Adrian Peterson. In response, the League informed the team of the option to place Adrian on the Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list, which will require that Adrian remain away from all team activities while allowing him to take care of his personal situation until the legal proceedings are resolved. After giving the situation additional thought, we have decided this is the appropriate course of action for the organization and for Adrian.”

The statement continues: “We are always focused on trying to make the right decision as an organization. We embrace our role – and the responsibilities that go with it – as a leader in the community, as a business partner and as an organization that can build bridges with our fans and positively impact this great region. We appreciate and value the input we have received from our fans, our partners and the community.

While we were trying to make a balanced decision yesterday, after further reflection we have concluded that this resolution is best for the Vikings and for Adrian. We want to be clear: we have a strong stance regarding the protection and welfare of children, and we want to be sure we get this right. At the same time we want to express our support for Adrian and acknowledge his seven-plus years of outstanding commitment to this organization and this community. Adrian emphasized his desire to avoid further distraction to his teammates and coaches while focusing on his current situation; this resolution accomplishes these objectives as well.

We will support Adrian during this legal and personal process, but we firmly believe and realize this is the right decision. We hope that all of our fans can respect the process that we have gone through to reach this final decision.”

The statement is signed by team owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Vladek/iStockphoto/Thinkstock(ASPEN, Colo.) — The wife of the man who murdered prominent Aspen, Colorado, resident Nancy Pfister says she is innocent and didn’t help her husband kill Pfister, despite once being a suspect herself.

“I had absolutely nothing to do with this,” Nancy Styler, 62, told ABC News’ 20/20.

Styler’s husband, Dr. William F. Styler III, known as Trey, is currently serving a 20-year prison sentence after pleading guilty on June 20 to second-degree murder for bludgeoning Pfister to death inside the Buttermilk Ski Area heiress’ home, which the couple was renting.

Pfister, 57, a philanthropist with a party girl reputation, was found dead inside a walk-in closet in her mountain chalet on Feb. 26 by her friend, Kathy Carpenter, who was also suspected in her murder. After Trey Styler’s confession, the first-degree murder charges against Carpenter, 56, and Styler’s wife were dropped.

Prosecutors have said that if new evidence comes to light they can re-file charges against Carpenter at any time. As part of a deal, Nancy Styler can never be charged for Pfister’s murder.

After her husband confessed to killing Pfister, Styler said she was shocked that he could be capable of such a crime.

“The jail part was a day at the beach compared to learning that the person that you’ve been with for 32 years committed such an awful crime,” she said.

According to prosecutors, Trey Styler, 66, a former anesthesiologist from Denver, and his wife had intense disagreements with Pfister over whether he and his wife had been paying the $4,000 monthly rental fee on her Buttermilk home. Nancy Styler said the couple did not have a lease because Pfister “didn’t want one.”

Pfister had been renting her home to the Stylers while on an extended trip in Australia, prosecutors said. At one point, Styler said Pfister told her if she helped her pack for a month-long trip to Australia, she wouldn’t charge them rent. After she left, Styler said she and her husband moved in, but then they received word that Pfister was cutting her trip short and wanted them out immediately.

“It was like…’How are we going to do this in four days?'” recalled Nancy Styler.

She and her husband moved to a nearby motel in Basalt, Colorado, with a festering grudge against Pfister.

Four days after she returned home from Australia, on Feb. 26, Pfister’s body was discovered wrapped in white and black trash bags and the sheets from her bed.

The Stylers were arrested on March 3 and charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

Trey Styler admitted to hitting Pfister in the head with a hammer while she slept and hiding her body in a closet, prosecutors said.

“He said, ‘I looked at her peacefully while our life was being torn apart,’ and he said, ‘I lost it,’” Nancy Styler said.

Nancy Styler said her husband told her how he was able to kill Pfister, including how he wrapped a cord around her body to be able to drag her to the closet.

“And he had left the bag — the murder weapon, the papers, her pearls, her pills — he had left that all in a bag, and that the bag was in the trunk of my car. And I was driving around with the murder weapon for three days,” said Nancy Styler.

Although he confessed to being the sole killer, the now wheelchair-bound Trey Styler appeared to be physically incapable of killing Pfister and covering up the crime on his own. Nancy Styler said her husband was diagnosed with a progressive neurological disease in late 1999 that made it difficult for him to walk.

“We’re thinking, you know, ‘How could he physically do that?’” Agent Lisa Miller told 20/20 of Trey Styler’s confession. “We took a break, and I asked Mr. Styler if he wanted to stand up. And he informed me he couldn’t stand up. He didn’t have the strength to.”

Police wondered during their investigation if Carpenter or Styler had a role in helping him with the murder.

“If he had come to me and said, ‘I’ve just done something horrible,’ I would’ve called the police right away,” Nancy Styler said.

Nancy Styler said she still loves her husband, whom she visits behind bars, and that people are wrong for thinking she helped kill Pfister.

“Why can’t people believe this? Why do they have to involve me in this?” Nancy Styler asked. “I say, ‘Go back and look at things in your mind and think about how this could happen, and don’t judge people unless you know the story.’”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Matt Sullivan/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Cleveland Browns receiver Josh Gordon pleaded guilty to a charge of driving while intoxicated in Raleigh, North Carolina, Tuesday.

The charge for the DWI had been pending since July.

According to ESPN NFL insider Ed Werder, Gordon’s guilty plea was made with the hope that he can avoid a mandatory two-game suspension, which is one of the new rules that would come into effect when the league and the NFLPA finalize their new drug policy.

After failing a marijuana test, Gordon received a season-long suspension, but under the new drug policy, it’s expected the suspension will be reduced to 10 games.

If Gordon can’t avoid the two-game suspension for the DWI, he would miss 12 games this season.

In 14 games last season, Gordon caught 87 passes for 1,646 yards and nine touchdowns.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Comstock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Winger Devante Smith-Pelly signed a new two-year contract with the Anaheim Ducks Tuesday that will keep him with the team through the 2015-16 NHL season.

ESPN.com reports the deal is worth $800,000 per season.

“I’m pretty relieved to get it done,” Smith-Pelly said to the team’s website. “This is my first process going through something like this, so I wasn’t sure how long it would take. There’s a long process to it. I wasn’t sure if it was going to come this close to camp, but at the same time, I knew something would get done before.”

The 22-year-old Smith-Pelly played in 19 regular-season games for the Ducks last season, recording two goals and eight assists.

Smith-Pelly also played in 12 games in the 2014 NHL postseason, leading the Ducks with five goals.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Ronald C. Modra/Sports Imagery/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The Minnesota Vikings have announced that Adrian Peterson has been placed on the NFL’s Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list and will not play this Sunday.

The decision comes after the team announced earlier this week that it was reinstating him while the legal process involving charges of child abuse against the running back proceeded.

The Vikings now say Peterson will not be allowed to participate in any team activities until his legal matters are behind him.

The Vikings issued the following statement:

“This has been an ongoing and deliberate process since last Friday’s news. In conversations with the NFL over the last two days, the Vikings advised the League of the team’s decision to revisit the situation regarding Adrian Peterson. In response, the League informed the team of the option to place Adrian on the Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list, which will require that Adrian remain away from all team activities while allowing him to take care of his personal situation until the legal proceedings are resolved. After giving the situation additional thought, we have decided this is the appropriate course of action for the organization and for Adrian.”

The statement continues: “We are always focused on trying to make the right decision as an organization. We embrace our role – and the responsibilities that go with it – as a leader in the community, as a business partner and as an organization that can build bridges with our fans and positively impact this great region. We appreciate and value the input we have received from our fans, our partners and the community.

While we were trying to make a balanced decision yesterday, after further reflection we have concluded that this resolution is best for the Vikings and for Adrian. We want to be clear: we have a strong stance regarding the protection and welfare of children, and we want to be sure we get this right. At the same time we want to express our support for Adrian and acknowledge his seven-plus years of outstanding commitment to this organization and this community. Adrian emphasized his desire to avoid further distraction to his teammates and coaches while focusing on his current situation; this resolution accomplishes these objectives as well.

We will support Adrian during this legal and personal process, but we firmly believe and realize this is the right decision. We hope that all of our fans can respect the process that we have gone through to reach this final decision.”

The statement is signed by team owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Ronald C. Modra/Sports Imagery/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — The Minnesota Vikings have announced that Adrian Peterson has been placed on the NFL’s Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list and will not play this Sunday.

The decision comes after the team announced earlier this week that it was reinstating him while the legal process involving charges of child abuse against the running back proceeded.

The Vikings now say Peterson will not be allowed to participate in any team activities until his legal matters are behind him.

The Vikings issued the following statement:

“This has been an ongoing and deliberate process since last Friday’s news. In conversations with the NFL over the last two days, the Vikings advised the League of the team’s decision to revisit the situation regarding Adrian Peterson. In response, the League informed the team of the option to place Adrian on the Exempt/Commissioner’s Permission list, which will require that Adrian remain away from all team activities while allowing him to take care of his personal situation until the legal proceedings are resolved. After giving the situation additional thought, we have decided this is the appropriate course of action for the organization and for Adrian.”

The statement continues: “We are always focused on trying to make the right decision as an organization. We embrace our role – and the responsibilities that go with it – as a leader in the community, as a business partner and as an organization that can build bridges with our fans and positively impact this great region. We appreciate and value the input we have received from our fans, our partners and the community.

While we were trying to make a balanced decision yesterday, after further reflection we have concluded that this resolution is best for the Vikings and for Adrian. We want to be clear: we have a strong stance regarding the protection and welfare of children, and we want to be sure we get this right. At the same time we want to express our support for Adrian and acknowledge his seven-plus years of outstanding commitment to this organization and this community. Adrian emphasized his desire to avoid further distraction to his teammates and coaches while focusing on his current situation; this resolution accomplishes these objectives as well.

We will support Adrian during this legal and personal process, but we firmly believe and realize this is the right decision. We hope that all of our fans can respect the process that we have gone through to reach this final decision.”

The statement is signed by team owners Zygi Wilf and Mark Wilf.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Baltimore Orioles/MLB(BALTIMORE) –For the first time since 1997, the Baltimore Orioles are the American League East champions.

“It’s everything I hoped for, man. It’s an awesome experience,” Orioles outfielder Nick Markakis, who has played with Baltimore since 2006, said. “We worked hard all season long to get where we are now. We got one step out of the way. Now we have a couple more steps to go.”

First baseman Steve Pearce hit a three-run homer to help the Orioles top the Toronto Blue Jays 8-2, giving the O’s their ninth win in 10 games.

“We’re AL East champs,” Pearce said while celebrating in the clubhouse. “Awesome.”

It’s the ninth time the Orioles have won the division, but only the second time since 1983, when they won the World Series.

Ubaldo Jimenez (5-9) earned the win, pitching five innings and allowing two hits, two runs, and four walks while striking out six.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Hemera/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — MLB: Pittsburgh Pirates 4 (80-70) – Boston Red Sox 0 (66-85)

Baltimore Orioles 8 (91-60) – Toronto Blue Jays 2 (77-73)

New York Mets 9 (73-79) – Miami Marlins 1 (73-77)

Tampa Bay Rays 6 (74-78) – New York Yankees 1 (76-74)

Washington Nationals 3 (87-63) – Atlanta Braves 0 (75-76)

Chicago Cubs 7 (67-84) – Cincinnati Reds 0 (71-81)

Minnesota Twins 4 (64-87) – Detroit Tigers 3 (84-67)

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStockphoto(ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.) — New York Yankees infielder/outfielder Martin Prado will miss the rest of the season after undergoing an emergency appendectomy early Tuesday morning. The team placed him on the 60-day disabled list.

The Yankees acquired Prado in a trade on July 31 from the Arizona Diamondbacks for minor league catcher Pete O’Brien and a player to be named. In 37 games with New York, the former All-Star batted .317 with seven home runs and 16 RBIs. He also scored 18 runs and swiped a base.

To take Prado’s spot on the roster, the Yankees added infielder/outfielder Jose Pirela.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStockphoto(ST. PETERSBURG, Fla.) — New York Yankees infielder/outfielder Martin Prado will miss the rest of the season after undergoing an emergency appendectomy early Tuesday morning. The team placed him on the 60-day disabled list.

The Yankees acquired Prado in a trade on July 31 from the Arizona Diamondbacks for minor league catcher Pete O’Brien and a player to be named. In 37 games with New York, the former All-Star batted .317 with seven home runs and 16 RBIs. He also scored 18 runs and swiped a base.

To take Prado’s spot on the roster, the Yankees added infielder/outfielder Jose Pirela.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →