iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Nearly 39 years to the day since Jaws first terrified audiences, a new report shows that the real thing is making a comeback — the United States is seeing a boom of great white sharks.

According to a study by a team of scientists at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, since 1997, the white shark population has increased by an estimated 42 percent.

“Our white sharks and all of our sharks are the real balance keepers,” said Chris Fischer, founding chairman and expedition leader of research firm Ocearch. “We need them in our oceans. … There’s just no robust path forward for the ocean without lots of sharks.”

For years, the number of great whites plummeted — around the time Jaws was made, their population had fallen by 70 percent — but now they’re back.

The report credited the comeback to an increase in seals, their favorite food; a federal ban on hunting great whites; and conservationists’ efforts to change their image.

Fischer and a team of scientists put a geotracker on a great white named Katharine last year to track her journey from Cape Cod, Massachusetts, to the Gulf of Mexico, and understand how sharks spawn.

A dozen or so other sharks were also tagged and named and are swimming off the East Coast and the west coast of Florida, as well as throughout the world.

There are four tagged sharks off the coast of Georgia; one each off the coasts of South Carolina, North Carolina and Virginia; and two off the coast of New York’s Montauk.

Katharine now has 12 fans following along online.

“People have fallen in love with her,” Fischer said. “I think that people are fascinated with the sharks for the first time ever. … I’m just thrilled the whole world is just jumping into the project.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Ingram Publishing/Thinkstock(CRESSON, Texas) — A Texas day care center is under fire after a staffer allegedly duct taped two children to their sleeping mats when they would not go to sleep during nap time.

Lorrie Almquist, of Cresson, Texas, said she was shocked when she received a call Wednesday from the owner of Heart2Heart Montessori Academy in Parker County and learned that her 3-year-old son and another boy had been duct taped to their sleeping mats.

Photos of a different boy wrapped in a blanket and bound to his sleeping pad by duct tape around the legs and chest had been circling among concerned parents Tuesday afternoon, Almquist said. The photos, which did not show the boy’s face, had been snapped by an employee at the school who quit her job shortly after, she said.

Though the boy in the photo was not Almquist’s son, she received a call a day later from the day care’s owner, Pam Decker, who Almquist said took responsibility for the incident, informing the mother that Almquist’s son had also been taped down.

“I felt violated and I was irate,” Almquist told ABC News today. “I couldn’t find any words to say to her. I was so hurt and saddened to think that my child had to go through that.”

Almquist said Decker had been complaining for weeks about her son not sleeping during nap time, and had even requested that Almquist buy a weighted blanket to help keep her son down during nap time.

Almquist and another parent reported the incident to Willow Park Police Department and contacted Child Protective Services.

The school also reported the incident to authorities, and in an email to parents, Heart2Heart’s director, Ashlea Pena, said the children were not harmed and described Decker’s actions as “thoughtless” and “foolish.”

Pena, however, defended the school, claiming that the situation had been “extremely exaggerated by a very upset parent.” She added that “the child involved was in no way harmed or caused any distress, in fact within 5 minutes he was sound asleep with his arms tucked under his chin. And woke up smiling.”

“I think that’s ridiculous,” Almquist said in response to Pena’s statement. “Ashlea Pena has a daughter that’s less than a year old and I know she would feel the same way if this happened to her daughter.”

Almquist said she has taken her son out of the day care center.

While CPS does not investigate day care centers, the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services’ Child Licensing Division has launched an investigation, which could last up to thirty days, agency officials said.

Agency spokeswoman Marissa Gonzales said she could not release details about the investigation, except that the department is investigating claims of “prohibited punishment.”

Agents were at the school Thursday interviewing parents, employees and administrators, Gonzales said. Once the DFPS has concluded its investigation, police will launch its own criminal investigation regarding Pam Decker, said Willow Park Police Chief Brad Johnson.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images(SAINT PAUL, Minn.) — Back-to-back storms in Minnesota prompted evacuations and an emergency declaration from Gov. Mark Dayton on Thursday.

Torrential rain caused flash flooding, damaging an estimated 1,000 homes in Mankato, south of Minneapolis.

“Insurance isn’t going to even scratch the surface,” said area resident Brian Fowler.

In other neighborhoods, officials ordered floodwater to be pumped into a nearby lake. At the University of Minnesota Medical Center, a mudslide caused a chunk of the land nearby to give way, threatening the facilities.

Dayton declared a state of emergency in 35 counties, making state resources available for citizens. In addition to financial aid, the governor directed Minnesota’s National Guard to send 100 soldiers to Koochiching County to assist in affected areas.

“We’ve shown that we know how to respond to these disasters and learned from them, in ways that will reduce the severity of the next crises,” Dayton said.

Still, there is concern that the state’s emergency fund of $3 million may dry up depending on flooding damage.

“We’ll deal with it and we have great response teams in the city and the county and then the state, and we’ll do what we can to the very best of our abilities,” the governor added.

Some roads reopened Friday, but flooding problems continue in areas like St. Paul, where residents are scrambling to find an alternative site for the Taste of Minnesota, one of the state’s biggest festivals.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Laurence Griffiths/Getty Images(RECIFE, Brazil) — Costa Rica secured itself a place in the Round of 16 at the World Cup Friday by upsetting Italy 1-0.

The win comes on heals of the heals of Costa Rica’s surprising defeat of England and sends the Ticos into the knockout stage of the tournament for the first time since 1990.

“We have played a historic team. They’re really good,” Costa Rica head coach Jorge Luis Pinto said. “They have wonderful players so, of course, we feel really proud. Our team feels proud, our country feels proud. … We want to go even farther.”

Costa Rica scored in the 44th minute when Bryan Diaz headed a cross from teammate Junior Diaz off the crossbar and past Italian goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon. The ball barely bounced over the goal-line and was confirmed by goal-line technology.

Costa Rica now leads Group D with six points. Meanwhile, England has been eliminated while Uruguay and Italy each have three points.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — The White House is promising to hire more judges, Immigration and Customs Enforcement attorneys and asylum officers to process deportations amid a surge of unaccompanied minor children, and adults with children, being apprehended at the Southwest border.

Approximately 52,000 unaccompanied children, largely from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, have been taken into custody near America’s southern border between Oct. 1 and June 15 — a 92 percent increase compared to the same time last year.

During a similar period, from Oct. 1 through May, roughly 39,000 adults with children were apprehended.

The Department of Homeland Security and Justice Department announced during a White House Press call that they will be teaming up to bolster their enforcement and removal proceedings.

“Showing up at the border illegally is not a ticket into this country,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Friday during the daily White House news briefing. “Those individuals are not eligible for deferred action. …We are mobilizing additional resources to try to deal with this problem more.”

“So much of what we’re seeing on the southern border is the result of a deliberate misinformation campaign that is propagated by criminal syndicates in Central America,” he said. “That misinformation is causing some people who are in a rather desperate situation to risk their lives to come to the U.S. border expecting they will be able to stay in this country. That is simply not true, and it’s important for people all across this country and others to understand facts.”

However, on the ground at the epicenter of the humanitarian crisis there is some reason for doubt. Just this week, when ABC News traveled to McAllen, Texas, women with children apprehended by the border patrol were then released at a local bus stop to purchase tickets and travel into the U.S. after providing only a promise to appear at court within 30 days.

The administration was unable to say how many people were given notices to appear in court and released to join family members currently living in the United States. Nor were officials able to say how many of those previously given notice actually appeared for their court dates.

There was also no information readily available on how many of the unaccompanied minor children will eventually be returned to their country or be allowed to stay in the United States with relatives or in foster care.

When judges decide minor cases, they base their decision on what is in the best interest of the child.

Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas said officials are “actively seeking additional capacity to house adults with children.”

The administration is also working to stem the flood of misinformation in Central America that they say is often planted by smuggling networks.

On Friday, Vice President Joe Biden is in Guatemala to discuss the urgent humanitarian issue with the presidents of Guatemala and El Salvador, as well as representatives from the governments of Mexico and Honduras.

The administration announced the U.S. government will be providing $9.6 million to El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras so they may invest in their repatriation centers to process those deported from the United States. They will also be spending around $80 million to create new programs within each country to help stem violence and offer services to at-risk youth.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(HOUSTON) — Two Texas men arrested earlier this week on terrorism charges were officially indicted by a federal grand jury Friday, according to the Department of Justice.

Rahatul Khan and Michael Wolfe were separately indicted with attempting to provide material support to terrorists. Khan, a Bangladesh-born U.S. citizen, allegedly wanted to join al-Shabab, a Somalia-based terror group linked to al Qaeda, while Wolfe sought to learn to fight in Syria.

An undercover FBI agent met with Wolfe and his wife during an investigation and learned of the suspect’s desire to travel to Syria and train. According to charging documents, Khan communicated with informants in an online chat room in an attempt to “spot and assess potential recruits for committing violent jihad overseas.”

A detention hearing for Khan was originally scheduled for Friday but was reset to June 30. Wolfe waived his hearing and will remain in government custody. Both have entered not guilty pleas against the charges and face up to 15 years in federal prison, along with a $250,000 fine if convicted.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Karen Bleier/AFP/Getty Images(ARLINGTON, Va.) — Officials are looking into an apparent suicide incident after a man died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at Arlington National Cemetery on Friday morning.

Military Police, special agents from the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command, and Arlington County Police Department officers responded to reports of a single gunshot around 10 a.m. near Columbarium Courts.

Investigators do not suspect foul play, though they have not ruled such a cause out, according to Chris Grey, spokesman for the Army’s Criminal Investigation Command.

No other information was provided on the victim.

“All indications are this is a tragic and isolated incident and there is no threat to the public of those visiting Arlington National Cemetery,” Grey added.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(CLEARWATER, Fla.) — A video captured by a red light video camera in Clearwater, Florida, shows the moment a motorcyclist is hit by a car.

The impact brings the bike to an abrupt halt but sends the man, who appears to not be wearing a helmet, flying through the air. He does a complete flip while sailing over the car and lands feet first before tumbling to the road. He quickly gets up and seems to walk away from the accident unscathed.

Clearwater Police said the driver of the car was cited for an improper left turn and driving on a suspended license.

Authorities said the motorcyclist did not have the required motorcycle endorsement on his license.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Major League Baseball(NEW YORK) — The Atlanta Braves are dealing with yet another pitching injury as starter Gavin Floyd will be placed on the disabled list after breaking a bone is his throwing elbow on Thursday night.

Floyd broke the olecranon — the bony tip of the ulna that sticks out behind the elbow — in the seventh inning on his first pitch to outfielder Jayson Werth.

This is a rare injury for a player, so the team isn’t exactly sure when he’ll be able to get back on the mound, but he’s expected to make a full recovery.

The team had signed Floyd because of injuries to the team’s starting rotation heading into the season. The Braves have already lost starers Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy for the season as both required Tommy John Surgery.

Floyd was off to a great start with the Braves. In 9 starts, he went 2-2 with a 2.65 ERA. The 31-year-old is in his 11th Major League Season, and has a career 72-72 record.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →