iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Here are the latest scores and winners:

INTERLEAGUE

Washington 4, Baltimore 0
Kansas City 5, Miami 2

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Chi White Sox 7, Seattle 6
Tampa Bay 2, Boston 1
Detroit 8, Minnesota 5
L.A. Angels 6, Toronto 3
Texas 9, Cleveland 0

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Pittsburgh 3, Milwaukee 2, 10 Innings
Atlanta 3, Arizona 1
San Francisco 4, L.A. Dodgers 0
N-Y Mets 10, St. Louis 6

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

ABC News(NEW YORK) — An Indiana woman is searching for personal items and sifting through the remains of her home after a ferocious tornado swept through her town Wednesday.

Becki Sweeney was at work when the storm hit Kokomo, Indiana. Now her home of 16 years had been reduced to a skeleton. The roof is gone and her furniture is strewn everywhere.

“It’s devastating,” she told ABC News. “It hurts to see the damage but I’m thankful that everyone is OK. It’s hard to believe nobody got killed.”

Kokomo mayor Greg Goodnight said he feels “very grateful” that no deaths or serious injuries were reported from the storm.

The devastation has forced 220 people to be temporarily placed in shelters, many of whom lived in several large apartment complexes that were heavily damaged, Goodnight said. The storm also left tens of thousands of people without power.

Today, Sweeney is trying to salvage some personal items, like her family tree and a stuffed animal her mother held when she died.

“Stuff that can’t be replaced … that didn’t cost much money to begin with,” she said. “My son came in last night and got some rings that were my grandmother’s. I’m thankful for that. He got some photos of when my husband was in the Navy.”

And those who didn’t lose their homes are pitching in to help their neighbors.

Kim Black told ABC News her home was the only one in the area not damaged.

Now, she is helping her immediate neighbors clean up and will look to help others who live on her block.

“I can’t imagine why I have a bed and my neighbors down don’t,” Black said. “Anything we can do to help, we’re gonna do that.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Matt Hazlett/Getty Images(RIO DE JANEIRO) — U.S. Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte has been charged for making a false police report in connection with the Rio de Janeiro gas station incident, Civil Police confirmed to ABC News.

Earlier today, it was reported that Lochte has been summoned to give testimony related to the investigation into the incident, a spokesman for the Brazilian Ministry of Justice confirmed to ABC News.

Police want Lochte, who flew home to North Carolina after the incident, to travel to Brazil to deliver his testimony in person, a Brazilian Federal Police source said.

The decision comes days after Lochte said his original story about being held up at gunpoint in Rio with three other U.S. swimmers was “overexaggerated” in an interview with Brazil’s main broadcaster, Globo.

Lochte claimed during the Olympics that he and three other U.S. swimmers were held up — with a gun cocked and pointed at his forehead — after leaving a party in Rio.

He then backpedaled, telling NBC News’ Matt Lauer that although a gun was drawn during the incident, it was not pointed at his head.

Brazilian police said Lochte’s story was a fabrication and that the Olympians — Lochte, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and James Feigen — were not robbed and were not victims. The police alleged that the swimmers vandalized a bathroom at a gas station and were confronted by armed security guards who requested money for the damage.

In an interview with Lauer, Lochte appeared to concede that he knew that the guards were demanding payment for the damage done, not robbing them.

“Yeah, so then we had to give the money,” he told Lauer. But he also said he “couldn’t answer” whether the men were being robbed.

Lochte, who said he “had too much to drink” that night, maintained that he and the other athletes were frightened because a gun was involved.

Police in Rio de Janeiro recommended that Lochte and Feigen be charged with false reporting. Feigen donated roughly $11,000 to a Brazilian charity to avoid prosecution.

The two other swimmers, Conger and Bentz, returned to the United States after giving statements to police and alleged that Lochte pulled a sign off a wall at the gas station, sparking a confrontation with armed guards.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Matt Hazlett/Getty Images(RIO DE JANEIRO) — U.S. Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte has been summoned to give testimony related to the investigation into the Rio de Janeiro gas station incident, a spokesman for the Brazilian Ministry of Justice confirmed to ABC News.

Police want Lochte, who flew home to North Carolina after the incident, to travel to Brazil to deliver his testimony in person, a Brazilian Federal Police source said.

The decision comes days after Lochte said his original story about being held up at gunpoint in Rio with three other U.S. swimmers was “overexaggerated” in an interview with Brazil’s main broadcaster, Globo.

Lochte claimed during the Olympics that he and three other U.S. swimmers were held up — with a gun cocked and pointed at his forehead — after leaving a party in Rio.

He then backpedaled, telling NBC News’ Matt Lauer that although a gun was drawn during the incident, it was not pointed at his head.

Brazilian police said Lochte’s story was a fabrication and that the Olympians — Lochte, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and James Feigen — were not robbed and were not victims. The police alleged that the swimmers vandalized a bathroom at a gas station and were confronted by armed security guards who requested money for the damage.

In an interview with Lauer, Lochte appeared to concede that he knew that the guards were demanding payment for the damage done, not robbing them.

“Yeah, so then we had to give the money,” he told Lauer. But he also said he “couldn’t answer” whether the men were being robbed.

Lochte, who said he “had too much to drink” that night, maintained that he and the other athletes were frightened because a gun was involved.

Police in Rio de Janeiro recommended that Lochte and Feigen be charged with false reporting. Feigen donated roughly $11,000 to a Brazilian charity to avoid prosecution.

The two other swimmers, Conger and Bentz, returned to the United States after giving statements to police and alleged that Lochte pulled a sign off a wall at the gas station, sparking a confrontation with armed guards.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Canton Police Department(NEW YORK) — The man who shot and killed K-9 Officer Jethro, of the Canton Police Department in Ohio, has been sentenced to 45 years in prison.

Kelontre Barefield, 23, received the sentence after pleading guilty to charges related to the police dog’s death and other charges in an unrelated robbery case, a spokeswoman for the Stark County Clerk of Courts told ABC News today.

Barefield’s attorney, Steven Reisch, didn’t immediately respond to ABC News’ requests for comment.

Jethro was killed in January after suffering multiple gunshot wounds while responding to a burglary at a grocery store, according to Officer Eric Stanbro, head trainer of Canton PD’s K-9 unit.

The death of the 3-year-old German shepherd devastated Canton PD Officer Ryan Davis, who had been Jethro’s partner since he was an 8-week-old puppy.

In March, an 11-year-old girl donated all of her allowance money to help get bulletproof vests for all of the department’s dogs.

“Officer Davis has received 2,000 letters since Jethro’s death, and he was catching up with them over the weekend,” Stanbro previously told ABC News. “He came across this girl’s letter and donation, and it really touched him.”

In the letter, an 11-year-old girl named Allison tells Davis, “I sorry about Jethro. So here is my allowance for the bulletproof vests. God bless you and the dogs.”

On Wednesday, the Canton PD’s K-9 Unit shared a video of some its dogs and handlers on Facebook “[i]n honor of Jethro’s killer being sentenced to 45 years in prison.”

The Canton Police Department did not immediately respond to ABC News’ requests for additional comment.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(ST. ANTHONY, Minn.) — The Minnesota police officer who fatally shot a black man during a traffic stop last month was placed on administrative leave again after briefly returning to limited duty, officials said.

The city of St. Anthony decided to change Officer Jeronimo Yanez’s status “after reviewing concerns and other feedback from the community,” city officials said in a statement Wednesday.

It was unclear if Yanez would still be paid on administrative leave.

“Out of respect to the sensitive nature of the tragic incident and the concerns from the community, the Mayor, City Council and City Manager have decided to make this change,” the statement said.

Yanez’s status with the St. Anthony Police Department will be reviewed after the state’s investigation into the incident is complete.

City officials did not immediately respond to ABC News’ request to elaborate on the community’s “concerns” regarding Yanez’s reinstatement.

The St. Anthony police officer shot and killed 32-year-old Philando Castile during a traffic stop in nearby Falcon Heights, a suburb of St. Paul, on July 6. Castile’s girlfriend, who was in the car with him and her daughter at the time, live-streamed the shooting’s aftermath on Facebook.

The dramatic video shows Diamond Reynolds — sitting in a car with Castile, whose shirt appears soaked in blood — saying an officer shot her boyfriend. Reynolds can also be heard saying on video that the officer “asked him for license and registration. He told him that it was in his wallet but he had a pistol on him because he is licensed to carry. The officer said, ‘Don’t move.’ As he was putting his hands back up, the officer shot him in the arm four or five times.”

The video shows a uniformed police officer holding a pistol on the couple from outside the car. The officer can be heard saying, “I told him not to reach for it. I told him to get his hand out.”

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension is investigating the incident.

In a statement obtained by ABC News last month, Yanez’s attorney Thomas Kelly said the incident had nothing to do with race.

“Officer (Jeronimo) Yanez has been completely cooperative with the investigation led by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension. He is deeply saddened for the family and loved ones of Philando Castile,” Kelly said. “Tragically, the use of force became necessary in reacting to the actions of Mr. Castile. This heartbreaking incident had nothing to do with race. It had to do with the presence of a gun.”

Requests for comment to Yanez’s attorney and the attorney for Castile’s mom, Valerie, were not immediately returned.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(FORT CAMPBELL, Ky.) — A soldier at Fort Campbell was apprehended Thursday after allegedly firing shots in what is being described as an active shooter situation.

No one was reported injured in the incident, which occurred near the airfield at the Army base located in Kentucky.

“An 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) soldier was apprehended this afternoon by military police after they responded to a report of an active shooter near Campbell Army Airfield,” said an Army statement posted on the Fort Campbell Facebook page.

“There have been no reports of any injuries and at this time and the installation is currently secure, the gates are open and there are no threats to the post or local communities,” the statement added.

Robert Jenkins, the director of public affairs at Fort Campbell, stressed that the Army post was secure and there was no danger to the community.

He said that the soldier was subdued quickly by military police, who responded immediately to the incident.

Jenkins did not know what kind of weapon the soldier allegedly used to fire the rounds that triggered the active shooter situation.

Weapons at military facilities are stored in armories when not used for training. Privately owned weapons can be held on post at a soldier’s barracks as long as they are registered with the post.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Courtesy of Mapleside Farms(BRUNSWICK, Ohio) — One farm in Brunswick, Ohio, had a very unique way to celebrate their hometown star LeBron James.

Mapleside Farms has created a corn maze in his honor, following his historic NBA Championship win with the Cleveland Cavaliers earlier this summer.

“We’re huge fans of the Cavaliers. We’ve been ticket season holders for years,” Kelly Clement, who owns the farm with her husband Greg, told ABC News. “Every year we brainstorm what should we theme the maze around and … it was a no-brainer.”

Clement said they planted the corn back in July and cut the maze this month when the crops are “not even a foot high.”

“It’s easier to manage,” she explained.

Mapleside Farms posted a photo of their James-themed maze last week and of course, it quickly went viral.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(BURLINGTON, Vt.) — The University of Vermont women’s basketball team announced on Wednesday it has canceled its December game against the University of North Carolina over the state’s HB2 law.

“The decision to cancel to our Dec. 28 women’s basketball game at North Carolina was made as a result of concerns over the HB2 law, which prevents transgender people from using government-run bathrooms based on their gender identity,” Vermont athletic director Jeff Schulman explained in a statement.

He continued, “We strive very hard to create an inclusive climate for our students and staff in which they all can feel safe, respected, and valued. It would be hard to fulfill these obligations while competing in a state with this law, which is contrary to our values as an athletic department and university.”

The news comes just days after the NBA moved its 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, North Carolina to New Orleans because of the law.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(BEAR, Del.) — The 59-year-old woman who died after falling approximately 35 feet from the Go Ape Treetop Adventure attraction Wednesday has been identified as Tina Werner of Felton, Delaware, by Delaware State Police.

Authorities said Werner was standing on a platform, waiting to go on the zip line, when she fell to her death.

“Werner was standing on a platform located approximately 35′ above the ground, waiting to descend on a zip line,” the Delaware State Police said in a statement Thursday. “It was at this point that she fell from the platform to the ground.”

Foul play is not suspected, police said, although the investigation into the incident is ongoing.

The incident occurred at approximately 2:35 p.m. Wednesday at the Go Ape Aerial Rope Adventure Course in the Lums Pond State Park, authorities said.

First aid was rendered to Werner by Go Ape employees and park rangers before she was treated at the scene by New Castle County Paramedics, according to authorities. Werner was then transported to the Christiana Hospital were she was pronounced dead.

In a statement Wednesday, Go Ape said it was “deeply saddened by this tragic occurrence.”

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to her family and friends and in particular to those who were on the course with her at the time,” the statement continued.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →