FBI(FALLS CHURCH, Va.) — A gang of bank robbers dubbed the “Black Hat Bandits” struck again Monday, hitting a bank in Virginia, the eighth time this year, the FBI said.

But this time, the group may have left behind a key clue: possible footprints.

The two bank robbers — known for donning black hats, winter coats, sunglasses, and some kind of facial disguise — robbed a Wells Fargo Bank in Falls Church, Virginia, authorities said. Witnesses say they ordered everyone to the floor at gunpoint, shoving those who weren’t moving quickly enough.

A bystander called police from outside the bank, but by the time police arrived the pair had escaped, reportedly speeding off in a getaway car driven by a third suspect.

According to the FBI, the “Black Hat Bandits” have robbed eight banks since January, all in Maryland or Virginia.

In at least one case, they put a gun to a customer’s head.

In Monday’s robbery, authorities were able to preserve possible footprints in the snow using cardboard boxes, later casting a mold. Authorities are hopeful that the footprints will help them solve the case. The FBI is also offering a $30,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the bank robbers.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

(CHARLOTTE, N.C.) — After an extremely heated court battle with an ex-girlfriend, Kurt Busch was suspended indefinitely from the NASCAR circuit.

NASCAR has put forth a set of terms that Busch must complete in order to compete for the chase once again. According to NASCAR spokesman David Higdon, Busch has agreed to the stipulations.

Busch was suspended on Feb. 20 after a Delaware Judge ruled that Busch must cease all contact with his former paramour, Patricia Driscoll and undergo psychiatric counseling.

Stewart Haas Racing, Busch’s employer, released the following statement:

“We understand Kurt Busch has begun the process for reinstatement as a NASCAR member. NASCAR has laid out its expectations for Kurt, and while there is no timetable to meet those expectations, Kurt’s willingness to embrace the conditions set forth by NASCAR is a positive step that we support.”

The timetable for Busch’s return is currently unknown.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Al Bello/Getty Images

(HOUSTON, Tx) — Rockets point guard James Harden has been suspended one game by the NBA after receiving a flagrant foul for kicking LeBron James in the groin.

In a heated game between Houston and Cleveland, Sunday evening, James and Harden entered into a scrum for the ball. Harden fell to the ground and extended his leg into James’s “man region.”

In all, five technical fouls were issued in the game that saw Houston come away with the 105-103 overtime victory.

“It was a pretty intense game that started off with a little scrum on the floor in front of our bench with Pat and LeBron,” said Rockets coach Kevin McHale. “It just kind of stayed kind of chippy all game long, which is fine. Some games are chippy like that.”

Harden will miss Tuesday’s game against the Atlanta Hawks.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Rob Tringali/SportsChrome/Getty Images(HOUSTON, Tx) — The face of the Houston Texans offense wants out.

Wide receiver Andre Johnson has been granted permission to seek a trade, according to ESPN. The news was first reported by the Houston Chronicle and KRIV.

Johnson, 33, has also demanded that if a trade partner cannot be found that he be released from the team he has spent all 12 seasons of his career with.

Last year, Johnson threatened to hold out in hopes of being traded or released but played through the 2014 season. With a revolving door at quarterback, that included Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett and Case Keenum, Johnson posted 85 catches for 936 yards and three touchdowns.

Johnson’s impact on the team began to diminish as second year wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins became the prime target on offense.

The Texans selected Johnson third overall in the 2003 NFL draft out of the University of Miami.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Kuzma/iStock/Thinkstock(OMAHA, Neb.) — A federal judge struck down Nebraska’s state ban on same-sex marriage on Monday.

According to the Omaha World-Herald, Judge Joseph Bataillon delayed the implementation of his ruling for a week, giving State Attorney General Doug Peterson the opportunity to file an appeal. Peterson did so within hours of the judge’s ruling.

The decision now goes to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(CLEVELAND) — Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson apologized on Monday for “insensitive” and “inappropriate” language used in the city’s response to a federal lawsuit in the fatal shooting of Tarmir Rice at the hands of Cleveland police officers.

Jackson said he was “apologizing” to Rice’s family and to the citizens of Cleveland on behalf of the city. The city’s filing stated that Rice’s injuries and death “were directly and proximately caused by” his own failure “to exercise due care to avoid injury.” Rice was playing with a toy gun at the time of the shooting, a point that made it seem as though the city was blaming Rice for his own death.

Officers responding to a phone call of a person walking around with a gun shot Rice seconds after stepping out of their patrol car. The initial caller had noted that he was not certain the gun in the individual’s hand was real, though a dispatcher did not pass that information along to the officers.

Jackson said Monday that the city would amend its filing and resubmit it within seven days.

World News Videos | US News Videos

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — The hits keep coming for the Chicago Bulls as the team announced that guard Jimmy Butler will miss the next 3-6 weeks with an elbow injury.

Butler suffered the injury on Sunday during the team’s game against the Los Angeles Clippers.

Butler underwent an MRI on Monday that revealed a Grade 2/3 ulnar ligament sprain and small bone impaction injury to his left elbow, the team announced in a statement.

Fortunately for Butler, he will not need to undergo surgery, and is hoping to be back in time for the playoffs.

Now in his fourth NBA season, Butler has emerged as the leading scorer for the Bulls this season. In 55 games this season, Butler is averaging 20.2 points, 5.9 rebounds, and 3.3 assists per game.

This is yet another tough blow for the Bulls who are already dealing with injuries to Derrick Rose and Taj Gibson.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(WILSON, N.C.) — Three armed suspects are on the run after allegedly robbing a tractor trailer on Sunday that was transporting a shipment of millions of dollars worth of gold and silver, police said.

Two armed security security guards told police they were traveling from Miami to Massachusetts along I-95 and pulled over in eastern North Carolina after experiencing mechanical problems, according to the Wilson County Sheriff’s Office.

The pair was approached by three armed men driving a white van who ordered the men onto the ground, tied their hands behind their backs and made them walk into the woods, police said.

During that time, the suspects allegedly took gold and silver estimated to be worth more than $4,000,000, police said.

The security guards worked for TransValue Inc., a Miami-based shipping security company that ships goods for companies and banks working within the precious metals industry. The company’s CEO, Jesus Rodriguez, confirmed the robbery to ABC News and said that an internal investigation is underway.

The FBI has been contacted and the investigation is ongoing.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

garnettsjourney.blogspot.com(NEW YORK) — A New York jury convicted a mother of second-degree murder Monday in the salt-poisoning death of a 5-year-old boy that prosecutors likened to “torture.”

Jurors in Westchester County deliberated for over three days before finding Lacey Spears guilty. She will be sentenced on April 8.

Garnett Spears was taken to the hospital in January 2014 for an unexplained, and extremely dangerous level of sodium in his system. He died several days later.

Five months after the boy’s death, Lacey Spears surrendered to police. She pleaded not guilty at the time.

The defense blamed the hospital for the boy’s death, but prosecutors said there was no explanation other than the mother’s deliberate introduction of salt into his feeding tube.

During a 14-day trial, prosecutors said Spears did it for attention. She had posted frequently to Facebook about her son’s health problems.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Obtained by ABC News(BOSTON) — Defense attorneys for accused marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev want jurors to see the blood-splattered, bullet-riddled boat where the then teenager wrote a note as he hid, wounded and bleeding, hours before being captured by police.

“The evidence here is the boat. It’s movable and it’s very powerful. The jury should be able to see it. It’s really quite striking,” argued Tsaraev’s defense attorney William Fick in court Monday. “The jury should be allowed to see that in its entirety.”

Among the scrawlings Tsarnaev’s attorneys now acknowledged he wrote on the boat is “We Muslims are one body. You kill one of us, you hurt us all.”

“The government is killing our innocent civilians but most of you already know that,” another portion of the blood-streaked message says. Parts of the note can be seen in an image from the boat obtained by ABC News.

Prosecutors objected to the defense’s argument, telling the court that the boat itself is “very large” and full of “dried blood, broken glass, all kinds of debris.”

“What the defense really wants the jury to see is the boat riddled with bullets,” argued assistant US Attorney William Weinreb.

Defense attorneys want jurors to have access to the entire Slip Away II, which was dry-docked in the Watertown backyard of its owner and covered with a tarp.

Prosecutors said photos of the bloody note should be sufficient, but they may be willing to extract panels of the boat, rather than let jurors access the entire boat.

Tsarnaev was captured on the boat on April 19, 2013, a day after he and his older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, allegedly executed MIT Police Officer Sean Collier and then led police on a high speed chase in Watertown that ended with when the brothers allegedly exchanged bullets with police and tossed bombs in the street. Tamerlan was killed in the firefight and Dzhokhar went on the run for 16 hours.

Days earlier, prosecutors said, the brothers detonated two pressure cooker bombs near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013, killing three people — including an 8-year-old boy — and wounding 260 others. Many of the victims were maimed for life, including 16 people who lost limbs.

Both sides also sparred over autopsy photos of the victims. Defense attorneys said that the pictures would traumatize victims’ families all over again. “They are horrific. They are disturbing,” defense attorney Miriam Conrad told the court.

Prosecutors told the court the pictures of the dead were an essential part of the government’s case and “chosen carefully.”

O’Toole did not rule on any of the motions Monday. Opening statements in Tsarnaev’s murder trial are expected Wednesday morning.

Tsarnaev was in court for Monday’s hearing, wearing dress shoes, a black blazer and sporting a recent haircut with a neatly trimmed beard on his chin.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →