Jim McIsaac/Getty Images(CHICAGO, Ill.) — Jackie Bradley, Jr. hit a double down the right field line to score two runs and give the Boston Red Sox a 6-4 lead in the top of the 14th inning against the White Sox on Wednesday night. Chicago ran out of pitchers in the game and was forced to send infielder Leury Garcia to the hill in the 14th.

Boston (6-9) took a lead in the first when Xander Bogaerts singled to drive in Dustin Pedroia for the first run of the game. The White Sox scored the next three runs, taking a 3-1 lead on Alexi Ramirez’s two-run homer in the sixth. Ramirez went 1-for-6 and tied a franchise record for consecutive games with a hit to start the season at 15. That looked to be enough even after the Red Sox added a run on AJ Peirzynski’s sacrifice fly in the top of the eight.

However, Maikel Cleto walked the first two batters he faced in the top of the ninth before being relieved by Matt Lindstrom who promptly got David Ortiz to fly out. After a Johnny Gomes infield single loaded the bases, Grady Sizemore hit a sacrifice fly to tie things up and help force extra innings.

Chicago (8-7) rallied in extras after Gomes’ sac fly gave the Red Sox a 4-3 lead in the top of the 11th inning. Travis Flowers singled off reliever Edward Mujica to plate Jor Danks and ensure that the contest would continue. Garcia took the mound in the top of the 14th, retiring the first two batters he faced. Boston then worked two walks before Bradley recorded his first hit of the game to break the tie.

Chris Capuano (1-0) got the win going two and two-thirds innings in relief as Burke Badenhop got the final out of the game, replacing Capuano in the bottom of the 14th, for his first save of the year. Garcia (0-1) took the loss as White Sox pitchers walked 15 batters in the game.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

ABC News(AVON, Ind.) — From the drama club and orchestra to the lacrosse team and even Homecoming Court, kids from every corner of Avon High School came together in spirit and song recently for a fundraising cause.

The cast of thousands – all students from the Avon, Ind., school located in a suburb of Indianapolis – turned up to sing seamlessly through not just the Teen Top 40, but 68 songs, all in 6.5 minutes.

The video took one take and was posted to YouTube.

“This video, this lip-dub was to raise awareness, to get people excited about going to the Riley Dance Marathon and support that cause,” assistant principal Kellie Rodkey said.

Rodkey said last year’s Avon Dance Marathon had raised nearly $17,000 for Riley Hospital for Children so this year the students set a goal of $20,000.

A student cameraman rolled along in a chair Thursday as it was pushed by a teacher holding an iPod. After six weeks of planning, enlisting participants and mapping out the school, it all came together flawlessly.

“This is probably the most fun thing I’ve done in my teaching career,” math teacher and video director Adam Clarke said. “Everybody was on board…The message in the video is…we are Avon.”

ABC US News | ABC Business News

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Milwaukee Bucks owner Herb Kohl announced on Wednesday an agreement to sell the team to investors Wesley Edens and Marc Lasry for approximately $550 million. A condition of the sale was for the buyers to keep the franchise in Milwaukee.

Kohl originally purchased the team in 1985 for $18 million and had been searching for new owners that would not move the Bucks from its longtime home. A U.S. senator from 1989-2013, Kohl is reported to still maintain ownership of a significant percentage of the team.

The Bucks were hopeful for a playoff appearance this season but fell way short of expectations, finishing with the league’s worst record at 15-67. Milwaukee was valued by Forbes magazine at $405 million in January, which was dead last of the NBA’s 30 teams.

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker told reporters that the sale of the team is “a big deal” and that he will work with the new owners to help team “flourish in the state”. The sale now goes to the NBA and its board of governors for approval.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

File photo. iStock/Thinkstock(MCEWEN, Tenn.) — One person is dead and three other people have been seriously injured in a fiery explosion Wednesday at a Tennessee ammunition plant.

Now under control, according to officials, the fire destroyed Rio Ammunition in McEwen, Tenn. The plant is owned by the adjacent explosives manufacturer Accurate Energetic Systems.

“At this time we’ve got the fire extinguished in the building itself — still smoldering but under control,” Odell Poyner, Humphrey County director of Emergency Management, said Wednesday. “Firefighters are still putting on some water.”

The plant explosion set off a small brush fire at the rural location of the structures, but Odell said firefighters were nearly finished controlling it.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Feng Li/Getty Images(CHICAGO) — In the midst of their anguish and grief, some families of the passengers aboard missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 say they are being besieged by high-stakes versions of ambulance chasers — American lawyers looking for clients.

“That is piling insult onto injury and this is just not acceptable,” said Sarah Bacj, girlfriend of American passenger Philip Wood.

Among the U.S. lawyers who have already shown up in Malaysia are members of Ribbeck Law of Chicago, led by Monica Ribbeck Kelly. At a quickly staged news conference, the firm’s lawyers discussed multi-million-dollar lawsuits against Boeing, the maker of the aircraft that disappeared, even before anyone has figured out what actually happened to the plane.

According to two grief counselors, the Ribbeck firm has been aggressively distributing cards and brochures in Chinese to family members, a practice that legal experts say would not be legal in the U.S. in order to protect families at a vulnerable time. One of the brochures includes the claim that it is quite common for families of victims to receive “millions or even tens of millions of dollars” from lawsuits.

Caesar Sun, a volunteer grief counselor in Beijing, told ABC News about the experience of one family member.

“He told me that a lawyer came to him and said, ‘You can get a million dollars if the plane was confirmed as crashed. And you have to let us do it… Sign something so we can do it for you,’” Sun said.

The Ribbeck firm lists its address in a Chicago high-rise, but the offices appear to be empty, supposedly being remodeled, as first reported by The Chicago Tribune.

Kelly denied that any of her lawyers had contacted families directly, and said that while her firm had signed up dozens of families, all of them had asked her to represent them.

“It’s up to the families,” Kelly told ABC News. “It is ethical and moral.”

At a Ribbeck Law press conference in Kuala Lumpur last month, Kelly said, “In many of these crashes, we have no wreckage and we have no black boxes…and in many cases we have black boxes that cannot be read. So we cannot wait for them to find the wreckage or find the black boxes because the litigation can start without it.”

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Andy Lyons/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Free agent running back Chris Johnson agreed to a contract with the New York Jets on Wednesday. The two-year deal is worth up to $9 million, according to ESPN.

Johnson was originally selected out of East Carolina with the 24th overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft by the Titans. In 95 games with Tennessee, the three-time Pro Bowler rushed for 7,965 yards and 50 touchdowns on 1,742 carries. In 2009, he rushed for 2,006 yards.

Johnson, who turns 29 in September, is expected to share duties in the backfield with Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStockphoto/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Yankees starting pitcher Masahiro Tanaka struck out ten over eight scoreless innings as New York (8-6) blanked the Chicago Cubs (4-9), 3-0, in the first game of a day-night doubleheader on Wednesday.

The 25-year-old right-hander allowed just two hits, both bunt singles, en route to his second victory of the season.

Outfielder Carlos Beltran gave Tanaka an early 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning with a solo home run off of Cubs starter Jason Hammel. The Bronx Bombers would tack on another run in the fourth on a Dean Anna sacrifice fly and one in the fifth on a Jacoby Ellsbury groundout, which scored Brett Gardner.

Hammel finished the day allowing five hits and three earned runs in seven innings of work.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Hemera/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — MLB: New York Yankees 3 (8-6) – Chicago Cubs 0 (4-9)

Baltimore Orioles 3 (7-7) – Tampa Bay Rays 0 (7-8)

Cincinnati Reds 4 (6-9) – Pittsburgh Pirates 0 (7-8)

Milwaukee Brewers 4 (11-4) – St. Louis Cardinals 1 (9-6)

Toronto Blue Jays – Minnesota Twins – Postponed

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office(BOSTON) — The man accused in a hoax on the one year anniversary of the Boston Marathon attacks was ordered held on $100,000 bail when he appeared briefly in court Wednesday.

In a blue V-neck prison smock, 25-year-old Kevin Edson stood while prosecutor Susan Terry told the judge Edson left a backpack containing a rice cooker at the finish line of the marathon Tuesday night.

The device Edson had was not an actual explosive, police said.

A doctor said Edson has a history of psychiatric disturbances and was off his medication, while prosecutors said Edson told police he knew what he was doing.

The two suspicious bags — only one of which police say they believe the man dropped — were both exploded Tuesday evening after the suspect had been detained for questioning.

“With the marathon coming, we are taking it serious,” Boston Police Officer Randall Halstead said. “Our officers are trained in looking for any kind of suspicious activity, and when it is brought to their attention or they notice it, which was in this case, they act upon it.”

The race takes place on April 21, but Tuesday was a day of remembrance in Boston, a year after bombings at the finish line killed three and injured 264.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(LINCOLN, Neb.) — The mother of the 3-year-old Nebraska boy who was reported missing before being found safe inside a claw machine at a nearby bowling alley will not face charges.

The mother, who was not identified, called 911 Monday evening to report she could not find her son in the family’s Lincoln, Neb., home, according to police officials.

At nearly the same time, at a bowling alley and billiards business across a one-lane side street from the family’s home, a patron reported seeing a young boy stuck inside a claw machine.

“A patron went inside the bar and asked if anyone was missing a little boy,” Randy Lee, a front counter worker at Madsen’s Bowling and Billiards told ABC News. “No one said anything and she said, ‘There’s a boy stuck in the machine.’”

“They thought maybe his arm was stuck and the bar maid went out and saw him actually stuck inside,” Lee said.

Employees called police, who, by that time, had also received the missing persons call from the boy’s mother.

Madsen employees called Value Vendor Services (VVS), which owns and operates the claw machine, to come and unlock the machine.

Nearly half an hour after he was found inside the machine, the young boy was safely removed and returned to his family.

Lee says the claw machine is located against a wall that is not visible from the front counter. Lee did not know how long the boy was inside the machine before he was found around 5:30 p.m. Monday.

The owner of the claw machine gave the boy a stuffed animal after he was rescued, according to Lee.

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →