nata_vkusidey/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — President Obama has officially settled #GuacGate2015, the Internet’s intense reaction to a controversial New York Times tweet on Wednesday saying, “Add green peas to your guacamole. Trust us.”

The verdict? Obama, like the majority of America, isn’t buying the ideas of peas in his guac.

Obama added he respected the Times but that he’s sticking to his “classic” recipe of onions, garlic and hot peppers for his guac.

His response was favorited over 8,000 times and retweeted over 7,000 times as of 5 p.m. on Wednesday — only a little over an hour from when he first started #AskPOTUS, a live Twitter chat intended to answer the nation’s questions about health care.

Obama revealed last year that chips and guacamole were his favorite dish at a kids’ state dinner meant to promote healthy eating.

“My big thing — chips and guacamole,” Obama said. “Basically, if there is a bowl of good chips and guacamole…”

“He loses it,” First Lady Michelle Obama said.

“I lose my mind,” Obama said. “I lose my mind.”

The rest of the Internet also lost its mind after the New York Times made the contentious suggestion to add peas to your guacamole.

In other news, though Jeb Bush disagreed with Obama’s decision to reopen the U.S. Embassy in Cuba, he did agree with Obama’s stance on peas in guac.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

nata_vkusidey/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — President Obama has officially settled #GuacGate2015, the Internet’s intense reaction to a controversial New York Times tweet on Wednesday saying, “Add green peas to your guacamole. Trust us.”

The verdict? Obama, like the majority of America, isn’t buying the ideas of peas in his guac.

Obama added he respected the Times but that he’s sticking to his “classic” recipe of onions, garlic and hot peppers for his guac.

His response was favorited over 8,000 times and retweeted over 7,000 times as of 5 p.m. on Wednesday — only a little over an hour from when he first started #AskPOTUS, a live Twitter chat intended to answer the nation’s questions about health care.

Obama revealed last year that chips and guacamole were his favorite dish at a kids’ state dinner meant to promote healthy eating.

“My big thing — chips and guacamole,” Obama said. “Basically, if there is a bowl of good chips and guacamole…”

“He loses it,” First Lady Michelle Obama said.

“I lose my mind,” Obama said. “I lose my mind.”

The rest of the Internet also lost its mind after the New York Times made the contentious suggestion to add peas to your guacamole.

In other news, though Jeb Bush disagreed with Obama’s decision to reopen the U.S. Embassy in Cuba, he did agree with Obama’s stance on peas in guac.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

nata_vkusidey/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — President Obama has officially settled #GuacGate2015, the Internet’s intense reaction to a controversial New York Times tweet on Wednesday saying, “Add green peas to your guacamole. Trust us.”

The verdict? Obama, like the majority of America, isn’t buying the ideas of peas in his guac.

Obama added he respected the Times but that he’s sticking to his “classic” recipe of onions, garlic and hot peppers for his guac.

His response was favorited over 8,000 times and retweeted over 7,000 times as of 5 p.m. on Wednesday — only a little over an hour from when he first started #AskPOTUS, a live Twitter chat intended to answer the nation’s questions about health care.

Obama revealed last year that chips and guacamole were his favorite dish at a kids’ state dinner meant to promote healthy eating.

“My big thing — chips and guacamole,” Obama said. “Basically, if there is a bowl of good chips and guacamole…”

“He loses it,” First Lady Michelle Obama said.

“I lose my mind,” Obama said. “I lose my mind.”

The rest of the Internet also lost its mind after the New York Times made the contentious suggestion to add peas to your guacamole.

In other news, though Jeb Bush disagreed with Obama’s decision to reopen the U.S. Embassy in Cuba, he did agree with Obama’s stance on peas in guac.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

ABC News(WASHINGTON) — It’s only been two weeks since he entered the presidential race, but billionaire Donald Trump has already seen some of his most prominent business relationships go up in smoke following remarks he made about Mexico on the very first day of his campaign.

“When Mexico sends its people they aren’t sending their best,” Trump said at his announcement event last month from Trump Tower. “They are bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they are rapists and some are good people but I speak to border guards and they tell us what we’re getting.”

In light of those comments, several of the business partners Trump has cultivated over the years decided they no longer wanted to be in business with the Donald. Here’s a look at who has dumped Trump.

Univision

The first domino to fall was the largest network aimed at Hispanics across the globe, Univision.

“We see first-hand the work ethic, love for family, strong religious values and the important role Mexican immigrants and Mexican-Americans have had and will continue to have in building the future of our country. We will not be airing the Miss USA pageant on July 12th or working on any other projects tied to the Trump Organization,” the company said in a statement.

In an interview with ABC News’ Tom Llamas, Trump said, “I love the Mexican people, I have great respect for Mexico.”

In response to Univision dropping the pageant, Trump filed a $500 million lawsuit this week against the company for damages.

Televisa

Following Univision, the Mexico-based broadcaster fired Donald Trump for his comments saying in part, “Mr. Trump hasn’t demonstrated understanding or respect toward Mexican migrants and has offended the entire Mexican population.”

Televisa also owns the Mexican equivalent of Trump’s Miss USA pageant and said they would not be sending a representative to compete in Miss Universe.

Farouk Systems

Farouk Systems Inc, which owns hair care brands such as CHI and BioSilk, said they too are done with the Donald.

“Our company is multicultural with people of Latin American descent making up a large percentage of our employees and loyal customers,” company CEO Basim Shami said in the statement. “As a company proudly founded on the concept of coming to the USA in pursuit of the American Dream, Mr. Trump’s comments do not and will never reflect our company’s philosophy or practices.”

NBCUniversal

The network that has worked with Trump for both Miss Universe and his hit reality television series, The Apprentice, also said goodbye to the Donald this week.

“Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump,” the company said in a statement.

NBC said Celebrity Apprentice is licensed from Mark Burnett’s United Artists Media Group and that relationship will continue. Trump fired back, saying, “If NBC is so weak and so foolish to not understand the serious illegal immigration problem in the United States, coupled with the horrendous and unfair trade deals we are making with Mexico, then their contract violating closure of Miss Universe/Miss USA will be determined in court.”

Macy’s

The magic of one of America’s biggest retail giants is no longer with Trump. Macy’s pulled its star away from the Donald today, saying in part, “We do not believe the disparaging characterizations portray an accurate picture of the many Mexicans, Mexican Americans and Latinos who have made so many valuable contributions to the success of our nation.”

“In light of statements made by Donald Trump, which are inconsistent with Macy’s values, we have decided to discontinue our business relationship with Mr. Trump and will phase-out the Trump menswear collection, which has been sold at Macy’s since 2004,” the retailer added.

Trump responded by saying it was actually his decision to end the relationship with Macy’s: “Clearly, NBC and Macy’s support illegal immigration, which is totally detrimental to the fabric of our once great country. Both Macy’s and NBC totally caved at the first sight of potential difficulty with special interest groups who are nothing more than professional agitators, who are not looking out for the people they purport to represent, but only for themselves. It is people like this that are actually running our country because our leaders are weak and ineffective.”

Even New York City, where the Trump Organization is based, is beginning to question its relationship with Trump.

“We are reviewing Trump contracts with the City,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said in a statement. “Donald Trump’s remarks were disgusting and offensive, and this hateful language has no place in our city. Trump’s comments do not represent the values of inclusion and openness that define us as New Yorkers. Our Mexican brothers and sisters make up an essential part of this city’s vibrant and diverse community, and we will continue to celebrate and support New Yorkers of every background.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

The Flag pole in front of the Cuban Interest Section in Washington, D.C. stands for the first time. It cannot fly a flag, however, until after it is officially declared an Embassy. (ABC News)(WASHINGTON) — After more than 50 years, the Cuban and American embassies will fly their flags once again.

According to diplomatic notes exchanged on Saturday, formal diplomatic relations between the two countries will be normalized beginning July 20; following that day embassies in both countries will be opened.

ABC News recently got an exclusive tour of the rarely-seen building in Washington, D.C, from the expansive entry hall to the Hemingway bar.

The Cuban Interest Section will soon become the Cuban Embassy after more than 50 years. Earlier this month the Cubans put a flag pole up in preparation for the reopening. They can’t fly a flag on the property, which is technically run by the Swiss, until they are once again an embassy.

“We never had the flagpole in the place where it is now, because it was on the top of the house,” Ambassador Jose Cabanas told ABC News. “And it’s the first time ever, we had the flag pole outside, and the meaning is different. … We’re finally recognizing each other as states, as sovereign countries. And for anyone, any citizen in the world, the use of his own flag is very important and meaningful.”

Walking into the Cuba Interest Section, which was built in 1917, a grand marble staircase greets you. Office space lines the open floor, with ornate shields above the doors for the six original provinces of Cuba.

When relations broke off in 1961, Czechoslovakia came in to care and protect the building

Above the stairs is a stained-glassed window.

President Fidel Castro visited the building April 1959. “We have a picture of him, by the side of the stair, and at the time, he visited the National Press Club,” Cabanas said. “He had a couple of presentations in Washington, D.C. He paid respect to President Lincoln at the Lincoln Memorial.”

The formal sitting room, or the “blue room” as they refer to it, on the second floor is often used for meetings with other diplomats, scholars and business people. “A lot of business men these days,” Cabanas said.

The building was built as a house for the family of the head of the mission at the time, so every room includes a fireplace. Many of them still original.

The Cuban Interest Section already has the flag it will fly once it is declared an embassy.

“It’s three meters,” Cabanas said. “We have very tough rules on our use the flag. … In our case, we raise the flag every day and we take it down every day. … If it’s raining or it’s snowing, you have to take it down and take care of it and protect it.”

The grand ballroom is often used for parties and functions; Cuban art adorns the walls. The entire room has been recently refurbished, including the wood floors. Cabanas pointed out the renovations began before any changes or movement in restoring diplomatic relations began.

“More than four years ago, and it was part of our normal renovation of our facilities,” he said. “I mean, we own the place, the house and the land, as we do in all places in the world.”

Inside the Embassy they have a bar called the “Hemingway bar” as a tribute to American writer Earnest Hemingway.

“We believe he’s part of our cultural history. Here you have original pictures of the Hemingway tournament, the fishing tournament in Cuba. He met our president, our leader Fidel Castro, back in the ’60s. They had a true, a very good friendship, I would say,” Cabanas said.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

An umbrella closed on President Obama’s head as he walked in rainy Tennessee, July 1, 2015. (ABC News)(MADISON, Tenn.) — Everyone’s had an umbrella close on their head from time to time. But it’s not every day you see it happen to the president of the United States.

As he stepped out of his limo into rainy Nashville weather Wednesday afternoon, President Barack Obama was handed an umbrella. But seconds later as the president was walking, the umbrella closed on his head.

The mishap occurred when the president picked up Kelly Bryant, a breast cancer survivor who wrote to the president about her experience with the Affordable Care Act.

Bryant accompanied the president to a speech in Madison, Tennessee where he is talking about the success of his signature healthcare plan.

While the president didn’t discuss his umbrella snafu, he did note that Bryant had the “distinction of possibly being the first person ever to be picked up at her house by a presidential motorcade.”

“It was so close to the school we said well we might as well swing by and get her,” he said.

ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

An umbrella closed on President Obama’s head as he walked in rainy Tennessee, July 1, 2015. (ABC News)(MADISON, Tenn.) — Everyone’s had an umbrella close on their head from time to time. But it’s not every day you see it happen to the president of the United States.

As he stepped out of his limo into rainy Nashville weather Wednesday afternoon, President Barack Obama was handed an umbrella. But seconds later as the president was walking, the umbrella closed on his head.

The mishap occurred when the president picked up Kelly Bryant, a breast cancer survivor who wrote to the president about her experience with the Affordable Care Act.

Bryant accompanied the president to a speech in Madison, Tennessee where he is talking about the success of his signature healthcare plan.

While the president didn’t discuss his umbrella snafu, he did note that Bryant had the “distinction of possibly being the first person ever to be picked up at her house by a presidential motorcade.”

“It was so close to the school we said well we might as well swing by and get her,” he said.

ABC US News | World News

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Pictured are the old (R) and new parts (L) of the White House fence. (ABC News)(WASHINGTON) — Metal spikes were installed atop the White House fence Wednesday, the latest enhancement to fortify the security perimeter at the White House.

Two metal spikes of different lengths were squeezed in between the existing spears lining the fence.

U.S. Secret Service and the National Park Service mounted the “removable anti-climb feature” Wednesday afternoon, but the entire installation process will take six weeks.

Designed by Rock Island Arsenal Joint Manufacturing and Technology Center, the metal spikes installed Wednesday are only temporary and will be replaced once a long-term solution is implemented.

The Commission of Fine Arts and National Capital Planning Commission will review and approve a final design in the fall and construction on a permanent security enhancement will begin in 2016. The renovation comes nearly 10 months after Omar Gonzalez scaled the White House fence, sprinted across the North Lawn and entered the White House.

Some semblance of a fence has existed on the White House grounds dating back to Thomas Jefferson’s presidency. Around 1801, Jefferson built the first post and rail fence around the White House, according to the White House Historical Association.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — The first photos are beginning to trickle out on social media of people enjoying the first White House tours free of a photo ban.

In what appears to be the first selfie shared on Twitter from a White House tour, a woman poses with a bust of George Washington and tweets “a quick selfie with George W before the Secret Service get me!”

This is the first time in over 40 years that people have been allowed to take photos during White House tours and the White House is encouraging visitors to share their photos using the hashtag #whitehousetour. Under the new rules, visitors are allowed to snap photos on their phones and small cameras, though selfie sticks and video cameras continue to be on the “Prohibited Items” list.

The first tour group Wednesday morning consisted of bloggers, individuals and organizations with large numbers of followers on social media, a White House official said, so as to make sure that the first photos reached a wide audience.

Upon entering the White House, visitors were greeted by the first family’s dogs, Bo and Sunny.

Visitors were also shown a video that first lady Michelle Obama posted earlier Wednesday to Instagram announcing that the ban was lifted and a sign reminding visitors that “Photography is Encouraged. But please remember to turn off your flash and no video recording or streaming.”

“If you’ve been on a White House tour, you may have seen this sign,” the first lady says in the video as she holds a sign that reads “NO PHOTOS OR SOCIAL MEDIA ALLOWED.” She then says, “Not anymore!” and rips through the sign.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Feng Li/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — Hillary Clinton’s campaign says it has raised more than $45 million in the first three months of her campaign alone — with 91 percent of the donations falling at $100 or less.

That total is nearly half of the campaign’s goal to raise $100 million by the end of 2015. It would also break the record for any candidate’s first quarter of running for president, surpassing President Obama’s $41.9 million in 2011, per Clinton’s campaign.

Clinton beat her equivalent 2008 total by about $9 million. Between her Jan. 20, 2007 announcement and the end of March that year, she raised $26 million. (That time she had one fewer week to raise the money because of her announcement date.)

The second fundraising quarter closed Tuesday with a June 30 deadline. We won’t see Federal Election Commission reports until July 15, but campaigns leak their totals before they have to officially report, so we expect to hear from other candidates in the coming days.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →