Jeff Zelevansky/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie is continuing to shed pounds after having weight loss surgery.

The New York Times reports the governor told conservative donors behind closed doors last Friday that he has lost 85 pounds since undergoing lap-band stomach surgery in February 2013.

While the meeting at the Manhattan apartment was off limits to the press, someone in attendance told the newspaper Christie was pressed by donors about his health.

“He did not reveal his current weight, although he said he understood he had to slim down if he wanted to move beyond Trenton,” the Times reports.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Islamist militants in Algeria have purportedly responded to call from the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) to target Westerners by kidnapping a French mountain guide and threatening to behead him unless France halts its actions against ISIS.

In a new video that recently appeared online, two masked and armed militants are seen with a man who describes himself as a 55-year-old Nice native named Herve Gourdel.

“We are the soldiers of the Islamic State [ISIS] in Algeria responding to the message of [ISIS leader Abu Bakr] al-Baghdadi and his spokesperson,” one of the militants says. “We give [French President Francois] Hollande, the head of the French criminal government, 24 hours to stop its offensive against the Islamic State, otherwise this hostage, French national Herve Gourdel, will be beheaded.”

The man identified as Gourdel then speaks to the camera, saying he is a mountain guide who arrived in Algeria on Saturday and was taken “yesterday” by the militants.

“They are holding me hostage,” Gourdel says. “I implore you, Mr. President, to do everything you can to get me out of this ordeal.”

The French Foreign Ministry released a statement Monday acknowledging that a French national had been kidnapped Sunday in Algeria, but said the kidnapping had not yet been claimed.

“Every measure is being expanded to find our compatriot,” the statement said. “The services of the state are mobilized and no hypothesis has been ruled out.”

Gourdel was apparently taken within hours of an ISIS spokesperson releasing an audio message to its supporters around the world urging them to target Westerners who support the U.S.-led coalition against ISIS, “especially the spiteful and filthy French.”

Last week, Hollande announced his nation would join the campaign in Iraq by launching airstrikes against ISIS targets. The U.S. has launched nearly 200 airstrikes against ISIS in recent weeks.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) — Reacting to Friday’s security breach in which a U.S. veteran scaled a perimeter fence at the White House and made it all the way into the building, White House press secretary Josh Earnest on Monday said President Obama is “obviously concerned” by the incident but added that the president “continues to have complete confidence” in the Secret Service.

“I had the opportunity to speak briefly with the president about it earlier today. He did indicate, as you would expect, his family lives in the White House, and so he is obviously concerned by the incident that occurred on Friday evening,” Earnest said.

“Providing security at the White House is complicated business,” he said, pointing to its dual role as a government office building and popular tourist destination. “The Secret Service has the challenging task of balancing the need to ensure the safety and security of the first family, while also ensuring that the White House continues to be the People’s House. And balancing those equities is challenging work, but it’s clear that in this case a review of that work is warranted and that review will be conducted.”

Earnest said the ongoing review is studying the positioning of tactical and non-tactical assets inside and outside the fence line, but Obama is “confident that the reforms that are determined to be necessary will be implemented in the proper way.”

“It will include a review of technical or physical security enhancements that may be necessary to improve security at the White House. It will also include a question about ongoing staffing and an assessment about whether or not additional staffing is needed,” Earnest said.

He added that the Secret Service will review its policy and procedures “related to the assessment of threats” and go over its previous interactions with the suspect.

Earnest refused to say whether Obama personally favors building a higher fence or further restricting access near the White House, but added that Obama and several senior administration officials were briefed “multiple times on the actual incident” over the weekend, and that a number of changes to the security posture have already been implemented in the “immediate aftermath” of the incident.

“The Secret Service has beefed up foot patrols along — around the fence line of the White House complex,” Earnest said. “The Secret Service has deployed additional surveillance resources to beef up the surveillance around the White House. The Secret Service has changed the procedures for ensuring that the entrance to the White House is secure, and there is already some stepped-up training for officers who are essentially standing on the front lines of the White House to ensure that they are aware of the policies and procedures that are related to securing the White House and dealing with incidents like the one that we saw on Friday.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Justin Stephens/NBC(NEW YORK) — James Spader is back as former government agent Raymond “Red” Reddington on NBC’s The Blacklist, which returns Monday night.

The show’s a hit, but his character’s signature look has had an unexpected side-effect in his personal life.

“My fedoras have now been shoved on the top shelf because I’ve sort of ruined fedoras now from wearing them on the show,” Spader said on Monday’s Live with Kelly and Michael.

Along with more hats, Spader explained what fans can expect from season two.

“The second season starts just a couple of months after the first season ended,” he said. “We’re faced with the same adversity but the stakes all of a sudden are much much higher. And the show has opened up a lot. You know, the first season was really about setting the ground rules, and so on, for this tenuous relationship with the FBI. And the second season really starts opening up into the relationships from the past and also what’s going on with…the regulars that are on the show.”

The Blacklist returns to NBC Monday at 10 p.m. ET/PT.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Photodisc/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — White House fence jumper Omar Gonzalez was arrested last July and charged with possession of a sawed-off shot gun and eluding police in Wythe County, Virginia, authorities said Monday.

Police also found “several assault rifles” in the vehicle at the time of his July arrest, according to a criminal complaint obtained by ABC News.

After Virginia State Police received several calls about a reckless driver on July 19, Virginia State Police observed a grey Ford Bronco moving at high speeds.

After eluding police and nearly crashing, Gonzalez was eventually pulled over, according to the complaint.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — Three Afghan soldiers who went missing from a Cape Cod, Massachusetts military base over the weekend were found Monday near the U.S.-Canada border, a United States defense official told ABC News.

Law enforcement officials said the men did not try to hide, but instead walked up to border patrol agents and presented themselves for asylum.

The men are currently in Canadian custody, officials said.

The three officers — a major and two captains — had been participating in a tabletop exercise called “Regional Cooperation 2014,” which is run by Centcom and scheduled to go from Sept. 17 to 24.

Law enforcement officials in Massachusetts told ABC News that the men were last seen Saturday buying civilian clothes at the Cape Cod Mall.

The three officers were part of a 14-officer contingent from Afghanistan, officials said.

The command post exercise has been held annually since 2004 and this year included participants from six countries and focused on a peacekeeping mission. Last year’s exercise was conducted in Germany.

This comes as Col. Steve Warren said earlier Monday that there was no indication the missing men posed a threat to the public.

Warren said the missing soldiers were not considered a threat because they were “thoroughly” vetted by a number of people and agencies, including the State Department, the embassy in Kabul and by U.S. forces.

“We believe based on the extensive vetting that we did prior to their deploying to the United States that they do not pose a threat,” he said.

Warren said exercise participants are allowed to come and go from the base hosting the exercise, but “as a rule because it’s an unfamiliar area to them they would have US personnel accompany them if they wanted to depart post.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Apple(NEW YORK) — Apple’s new operating system may look pretty, but the rollout hasn’t been smooth for everyone.

Many people have taken to Twitter to complain about issues they say they’ve experienced with iOS 8, including slow download speeds, sluggish performance and problems with both Apple’s native keyboard and third-party keyboards.

The majority of the comments haven’t focused on the aesthetics, but rather functionality issues that have been apparently brought on after users upgraded their devices to iOS 8.

One of the new features of iOS 8 is the ability to easily send audio, video and photos to friends via iMessage. However, when fiddling with the new features, some users have found out the hard way that one click is all it takes to snap and send an accidental selfie to a friend.

Apple did not immediately respond to a request from ABC News about whether an iOS 8.0.1 update could be in the works. However, the company told ABC News in a statement last week that it’s hotly anticipated HealthKit would not be released on the new operating system as expected.

“We discovered a bug that prevents us from making HealthKit apps available on iOS 8 today. We’re working quickly to have the bug fixed in a software update and have HealthKit apps available by the end of the month,” the statement said.

Aside from HealthKit, Apple’s new iOS is packed with new bells and whistles to breathe life into your old devices.

The Family Sharing app allows up to six people in a household to share each other’s iTunes, iBooks and App Store purchases. It also enables families to keep up with each others’ photos, calendars and locations.

A “smart keyboard” that can suggest “contextually appropriate words” to complete your messages will be rolled out, along with the ability to seamlessly send video and audio iMessages, among other updates.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(JERUSALEM) — Efforts to reach a lasting cease-fire in Gaza will resume this week in Egypt when a second round of talks between Israelis and Palestinians begin on Tuesday.

The long-term issues include Israel’s demand to disarm Hamas and other militant groups, essentially demilitarizing Gaza. The Palestinians, meanwhile, want the blockade lifted and the construction of an airport and seaport.

All of those issues, however, will take a backseat to the reconstruction of Gaza, which will top the agenda at the Cairo talks.

The rebuilding of Gaza is the one problem that both Israel and the Palestinian Authority have a shared interest in solving now. They know if the serious humanitarian problems are not addressed — which include a lack of housing, medical facilities, power and water — Hamas militants could exploit the situation, fire rockets and kick off another round of violence.

The United Nations estimates the seven-week war this summer left nearly 18,000 homes, schools, hospitals and public buildings severely damaged or destroyed.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(JERUSALEM) — Efforts to reach a lasting cease-fire in Gaza will resume this week in Egypt when a second round of talks between Israelis and Palestinians begin on Tuesday.

The long-term issues include Israel’s demand to disarm Hamas and other militant groups, essentially demilitarizing Gaza. The Palestinians, meanwhile, want the blockade lifted and the construction of an airport and seaport.

All of those issues, however, will take a backseat to the reconstruction of Gaza, which will top the agenda at the Cairo talks.

The rebuilding of Gaza is the one problem that both Israel and the Palestinian Authority have a shared interest in solving now. They know if the serious humanitarian problems are not addressed — which include a lack of housing, medical facilities, power and water — Hamas militants could exploit the situation, fire rockets and kick off another round of violence.

The United Nations estimates the seven-week war this summer left nearly 18,000 homes, schools, hospitals and public buildings severely damaged or destroyed.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — Omar Gonzalez, the man accused of scaling a security fence and getting into the White House with a knife last week, is scheduled for an appearance in Federal Court Monday.

Gonzalez, 42, of Copperas Cove, Texas, is facing charges of unlawfully entering a restricted building or grounds while carrying a deadly or dangerous weapon.

The Army says Gonzalez served from 1997 until his discharge in 2003, and again from 2005 to December 2012, when he retired due to disability.

In the wake of the incident Friday night, the Secret Service stepped up its security procedures at the White House complex.

Secret Service Director Julia Pierson ordered an immediate increase in “officer patrols and surveillance capabilities along the Pennsylvania Avenue fence line” of the White House complex, the Secret Service said Saturday.

In addition, The New York Times reports Monday that “The Secret Service is considering screening tourists and other visitors at checkpoints before they enter the public areas in front of the White House…As part of the screening, the Secret Service would establish several checkpoints a few blocks from the White House, the officials said. The screening would likely be limited to bag checks and not include measures taken at airports by the Transportation Security Administration, which include metal detectors and body scans.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →