The 404 page on Rick Santorum’s campaign website. (RickSantorum.com)(WASHINGTON) — Iowa and New Hampshire typically play host to the rough-and-tumble early days of presidential campaigning, but in recent weeks another arena has gained traction in the battle for voters’ hearts and minds: candidates’ website error pages.

Campaigns on both sides of the aisle have put a creative spin on the usually boring “404 page,” the website page that appears when a URL is entered incorrectly. Animal puns, pleas for donations and a video that tells voters to, “just scoot down,” greet visitors who click a broken link or type in the wrong URL on certain candidates’ sites.

Here’s a round-up of the 2016 contenders who have made their mark in the mistaken web page world:

Hillary Clinton: Link not ‘what it was quacked up to be’

Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton’s 404 page features a cute, old photograph of herself with former President Bill Clinton and their daughter, Chelsea — complete with Donald Duck and cartoon hats.

“Oops, that link wasn’t what it was quacked up to be,” quips the error message. “But while you’re here, how about signing up to volunteer?”

Rick Santorum: More helpful than Hillary?

A large photo of Clinton holding her phone — similar to an image previously used by Clinton on her Twitter profile — greets visitors lost amid the Web pages of Republican Rick Santorum’s site.

So does a dig at the former diplomat, who’s been criticized for using a private email account as secretary of state. She has said she did so out of “convenience.”

“We’re sorry, but we couldn’t find that page,” Santorum’s error page reads. “But we do have this search box. You know, ‘for convenience.’”

Bernie Sanders: ‘Just scoot down’

Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., takes his 404 page to an entirely new level, with a video in which he tries to help visitors get out of Internet purgatory.

“The good news is, you’re on the right website, and it’s a really good website,” says Sanders, the longest-serving independent member of Congress in U.S. history. “The bad news is, you’re on the wrong page.”

“Just scoot down to the bottom of the page,” he adds, waving his hand, “and you’ll find your way back home to where you should be.”

Marco Rubio

“FUMBLE! You seem a little lost,” proclaims the error page on Sen. Marco Rubio’s site. The Florida Republican’s website gives viewers a taste of his favorite football team, with an image of a Miami Dolphins player in the background.

And like Sanders, Rubio shares a video — although his is a more inspirational, professionally produced clip about his work coaching youth football.

Mike Huckabee

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, a Republican, gets casually punny with visitors to his website who have lost their way.

On his 404 page, a photo shows Huckabee relaxing on a boat with a happy-looking dog and a fishing rod, alongside a message that reads: “Oops! Looks like you caught the wrong page.”

Carly Fiorina

California businesswoman Carly Fiorina gets a bit simpler — and more direct — with her site’s error page.

Next to giant buttons asking for contributions to her campaign, the Republican uses a video to implore visitors to join her cause.

“We can do this, together,” she says, before giving viewers an opportunity to submit their email address and “Join the Team.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images

(OXON HILL, Md.) — The Scripps National Spelling Bee ended on Thursday night with not one, but two winners!

Gokul Venkatachalam and Vanya Shivashankar were named co-champions Thursday night after running out of words.

This was the second consecutive year where the bee ended with co-champions, after Ansun Sujoe and Sriram Hathwar each earned a share of the title last year. Prior to 2014, the last tie was in 1962.

Shivashankar spelled the word scherenschnitte correctly to earn a share of the win, while Venkatachalam forced a draw by correctly spelling nunatak.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

ABC News(NEW YORK) — Bowe Bergdahl was investigated earlier this year following an allegation of harrassment, but the U.S. Army North said Thursday it cleared him of wrongdoing.

Bergdahl was accused by a fellow soldier who lived in his barracks at Fort Sam Houston in Texas. U.S. Army North spokesperson Lt. Col. Tim Beninato said in a statement Thursday that “the Army takes any allegation of Soldier misconduct very seriously,” and that an investigation found the accusation to be untrue and “determined that no disciplinary action was warranted” in Bergdahl’s case.

Beninato added that the U.S. Army North Command “promptly addressed [the allegation] with the Soldiers involved.”

“Since February,” he noted, “no further issues have been brought to the attention of this command.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Aaron M. Sprecher/AFP/Getty Images(AUSTIN, Texas) — Texas has been hit by devastating storms over the past week, with at least 19 people dead and eight missing after the ensuing floods. But animal victims were also left in a desperate position.

Pet shelters across the affected region faced flooded and overcrowded conditions.

When the Town Lake Animal Shelter in Austin and partner nonprofit Austin Pets Alive! had to evacuate nearly 60 dogs to the Austin Animal Center, the centers took to social media for help.

Already inundated with lost and stray animals from the storm, plus the evacuated pets from the Town Lake Animal Shelter, dogs and cats were in desperate need of homes. The shelter was over capacity by about 140 animals Monday.

The Texas community answered with an outpouring of support.

Volunteers lined up to foster animals needing a dry place to sleep. Nearly 100 people showed up to the Town Lake Animal Shelter and 40 people temporarily sheltered cats and dogs at the main Austin Animal Center facility. They also brought towels, blankets and supplies.

Other shelters in Texas faced similar problems. After the tornado on Sunday, the Houston SPCA provided support for pets sheltered with owners at the Chinese Community Center.

“Due to the severe weather, there have been a lot of stray animals caught in precarious situations,” said Lisa Rotter, the shelter’s community outreach manager. And with staff stretched thin, Rotter said volunteers stepped in to help with daily function of the shelter even the day after the initial flooding.

Even as flood waters start to recede, The Austin Animal Center had a record intake Wednesday with 122 dogs and cats coming into the shelter. Now, shelters are attempting to reunite pets lost during the floods with their owners.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

FIFA President Sepp Blatter delivers his speech during the opening ceremony of the 65th FIFA Congress in Zurich, Switzerland on May 28, 2015. (Photo by Fatih Erel/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)(NEW YORK) — The U.S. Soccer Federation will vote for the rival of incumbent FIFA president Sepp Blatter in Friday’s election amid more than a dozen arrests of high-ranking FIFA officials accused of racketeering and corruption.

U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati Thursday said the federation will vote for Jordanian Prince Ali bin Al Hussein, the lone candidate running against Blatter, who is expected to win his fifth term as president of world soccer’s governing body. He was not among those arrested or indicted Wednesday.

“For me, and for U.S. soccer, better governance and more integrity at CONCACAF and FIFA are far more important than hosting any international soccer tournament,” Gulati told The New York Times.

In a series of busts on Wednesday, authorities arrested nine current or former FIFA figures and five involved in sports marketing over allegations of racketeering and corruption involving more than $150 million in bribes and kickbacks spanning two decades, law enforcement officials said.

Blatter pledged earlier Thursday that FIFA will cooperate with the investigations and vowed to work to restore trust in the organization.

The investigation grew out of allegations of payoffs to officials who decided where to hold the next two instances of the World Cup, the biggest international event in sports. The process landed the games in Russia for 2018 and Qatar in 2022, according to three senior U.S. law enforcement officials. The U.S. was runner-up to Qatar’s win.

The alleged wrongdoing reaches back as far as 1991, and in 2004, corruption purportedly played a role in the process of deciding who would host the 2010 World Cup, an honor that eventually fell to South Africa, according to U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch. An indictment unsealed Wednesday laid out other alleged bribery schemes, including some involving high-dollar deals for marketing and broadcasting rights related to various tournaments.

FIFA’s 209-member federations will vote by secret ballot Friday to elect the governing body’s next president.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Jon Gorr/iStock/Thinkstock(SANA’A, Yemen) — The situation in Yemen, where Houthi rebels have taken control of swaths of land, is growing worse, World Health Organization Director-General Dr. Margaret Chan said in a statement Thursday.

Just over two months into the conflict, the WHO is reporting nearly 2,000 people killed and 8,000 injured. Those figures, Chan notes, include hundreds of women and children.

With almost 8.6 million people “in urgent need of medical help,” Chan says the WHO sent about 48 tons of medicine into Yemen during a five-day cease-fire earlier this month. That medicine, she noted, served about 400,000 people.

“As the conflict continues, more lives are lost every day,” Chan said. “Not just due to the violence, but as a health system that has been seriously damaged barely copes with the extraordinary needs posed by the unrelenting violent conflict and can no loner provide them with the health services they need to stay alive.”

“The health and lives of millions of people are at risk,” she urged.

“This unnecessary loss of innocent lives cannot go on,” concluded Chan. “All parties must respect their obligations under international humanitarian law to protect civilians, health facilities and health staff during conflict and to permit the supply of vital humanitarian aid…to areas where it is needed most.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

A Lamborghini Urus during a Audi group reception on March 11, 2013 in Munich, Germany. (Photo by Alexander Hassenstein/Getty Images)(NEW YORK) — Italian carmaker Lamborghini has finally announced plans for its SUV, vying for customers with a taste for a luxury utility.

Automobili Lamborghini first introduced the Lamborghini Urus in 2012 at the Beijing auto show, but it announced its production plans on Wednesday. The company says it plans to introduce the SUV to market in 2018 and it will be produced in an expanded factory site in Sant’Agata Bolognese, Italy. The carmaker says it plans to produce around 3,000 cars, which will double company sales.

“The Lamborghini SUV is a big deal because it marks the Italian automaker’s return to this segment since the long-ago departed LM002, which was more like a Hummer than the luxury SUVs we see today,” Matt DeLorenzo, managing editor for Kelley Blue Book, told ABC News.

There’s no price tag yet, but DeLorenzo predicts it will be in the $200,000-plus range.

Audi, which is owned by the German Volkswagen Group, acquired Automobili Lamborghini in 1998.

“Lamborghini, Italdesign Giugiaro and Ducati have developed very successfully under Audi parentage, and kept their Italian identity,” Rupert Stadler, chairman of the board of Audi AG, said in a statement. “With the decision to produce the Lamborghini SUV in Sant’Agata Bolognese we have proven once more our commitment to Italy as an important automotive industrial nation.”

The SUV won’t be Lamborghini’s first foray in the utility space. The 1986 Lamborghini LM002, dubbed the “Rambo Lambo,” was the predecessor to the Hummer H2. The U.S. military blew up a model that belonged to Saddam Hussein’s son Uday in 2004 to simulate the effects of a car bomb. Time Magazine included it in a list of “50 Worst Cars of All Time” but “purely because of its appalling clientele.” It fell victim to emissions and poor fuel economy, as well as business difficulties, DeLorenzo said.

Lamborghini’s move to create a more conventional upscale crossover is testament to the strength of that market, especially in places like the United States and China, DeLorenzo said. He adds that the company needs the profits from this SUV — which as a category tend to have high profit potential — to maintain its ability to build limited-run high end sports cars.

Akshay Anand, analyst for Kelley Blue Book, said Lamborghini customers who need an SUV now have a reason to stay within the brand rather than purchasing elsewhere for lack of segment options.

“Loyalty is extremely important to automakers, and SUVs are critical for all brands to maintain loyalty as world markets continue to shift towards SUVs,” Anand said. “Other exotic car companies have announced or will announce SUVs, and Lamborghini was certainly going to be a part of this wave.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Carl Juste/Miami Herald/MCT via Getty Images(MIAMI) — President Obama met Thursday with the family of Steven Sotloff — one of the American journalists brutally beheaded by ISIS last year.

The White House announced that Obama met with Art and Shirley Sotloff during his trip to Miami. The Sotloffs live in Florida, so the White House says it was “an appropriate occasion for the president to visit with them.”

Video appeared online last September depicting Sotloff’s murder. He was the second American journalist beheaded by ISIS.

“The President expressed his and the First Lady’s condolences for Steven’s death,” Bernadette Meehan, National Security Council Spokesperson, wrote in a statement. “He appreciated the chance to hear from the Sotloffs more about Steven’s work as a journalist, including his passion for bringing the stories of people who are suffering to the rest of the world in the hope of making a positive difference, including in Syria.”

Meehan added that Obama also discussed the Sotloff family’s “2Lives: Steven Joel Sotloff Memorial Foundation,” which was created to provide support and assistance to journalists reporting from conflict torn areas of the world.

Days before Sotloff’s killing, Shirley Sotloff issued a videotaped plea asking ISIS to spare her son.

Stung by harsh criticism from relatives of American hostages killed by terrorists, the White House has been reviewing its hostage policy since last November.

The review is “nearing completion,” according to White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest, but the White House is not expected to change its policy against paying ransoms.

“We have made clear that our policy about not paying ransom to hostage takers, to terrorists — not making concessions to them — is a policy that’s not going to change, is not part of the ongoing policy review,” Earnest said May 19.

The White House expected to create a government office to coordinate incident response, which will likely include a “Family Engagement Team,” a senior U.S. official told ABC News last April.

The likely White House move is in anticipation of recommendations from a hostage police review team from the U.S. National Counterterrorism Center expected to be delivered soon to President Obama.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Comedy Central(NEW YORK) — Comedy Central has picked the day Trevor Noah will take over The Daily Show — September 28.

The announcement comes in a brief video released Thursday, in which Noah apparently sneaks onto the Daily Show set and behind the desk.

“Welcome to the Daily Show!” he repeats, practicing his opening, as well as some different poses, including a few karate moves and a sexy pose with his rear facing the camera.

At one point, Noah describes his show as “new and sexy.” That’s about the time outgoing host Jon Stewart appears behind him, standing silently until Noah turns around and sees him. “Oh sh**!” Noah exclaims, and hustles away.

Stewart will say goodbye to The Daily Show August 6.

South African-born Noah, 31, first appeared on The Daily Show last December in a segment titled “Spot the Africa,” during which he highlighted African stereotypes by comparing America to African nations, including Noah’s home country. Largely unknown in America outside of his Comedy Central appearances, Noah is a popular stand-up comic in Europe.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →

Lacey Terrell/HBO(LOS ANGELES) — True Detective‘s writers and actors have been very secretive about the plot for season two. And Vince Vaughn, who will portray career criminal Frank Semyon in the gritty TV drama, isn’t helping any.

When asked about his character on Thursday’s The Ellen DeGeneres Show, Vaughn quipped, “I am Elsa,” he said, referencing the Disney film Frozen. “I’m supposed to keep it under wraps, but I’m so excited, I can’t contain myself. I’m freezing and kissing and freezing and kissing.”

Still, Vaughn did reveal a bit about the show: “It’s a crime story that takes place in Los Angeles and it’s a whole new story. The writer and creator of [season one] is just tremendous, Nick Pizzolato, and he’s the writer of this one as well, and it’s been a lot of fun. The characters are very interesting, very complicated.”

Although he’s best known as a comedic actor, Vaughn said he took the True Detective role because it allowed him to explore another side of his acting. “I just thought it was tremendous, and for me, I haven’t done drama in a while. So to get a chance to go into something so well put together, I felt very excited,” he said.

Unlike the original series, which starred Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, the new season will revolve around three police officers — Rachel McAdams, Colin Farrell and Taylor Kitschand a longtime criminal, Vaughn, in the aftermath of a murder. It premieres June 21.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Read More →