DPSCS(BALTIMORE) — A manhunt is underway for a murder suspect who was mistakenly released from a Baltimore detention center and even the suspect’s mother wants him back in prison.

Rodriquez Purnell, 30, remains on the loose after he was accidentally allowed to walk free from Maryland Reception, Diagnostic and Classification Center on Friday.

Purnell has been in and out of jail for drugs and robbery over the years, but he was recently incarcerated on a first-degree murder charge, accused of fatally shooting T.J. Rheubottom, 27, last year.

Purnell was in custody waiting to be retried for Rheubottom’s murder after his first trial ended in a hung jury, but after corrections officers confused his current case with old charges, they let him go. Authorities didn’t realize the mistake until two days later when the victim’s family said they called the jail after Purnell was spotted hanging out in the neighborhood.

He has not been seen since.

The Maryland Department of Public Safety and Corrections said in a statement Wednesday that it placed an employee on paid administrative leave for mistakenly releasing Purnell.

“Preliminary results indicate a lapse in release procedures that would otherwise have identified the pending charges at the time of release,” the release said.

The situation remains under investigation, with officials trying to find out whether any procedures need to be changed.

Rheubottom’s mother, Jackie Davis, is stunned by Purnell’s accidental release and worries for the safety of her family and witnesses in the murder case.

“I believe that he is very dangerous and he needs to be off the streets today,” Davis told ABC News. “This should have never happened.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — You think traffic has gotten worse than it used to be? You’re absolutely right, according to a survey by the traffic data company INRIX.

But it’s not just time Americans are wasting sitting stuck on the roads, it’s money — a lot of money.

INRIX estimates that the annual and cumulative costs of congestion in the U.S. were a whopping $124 billion in 2013. That’s $1,700 per household in wasted time, gas and the higher price of goods because delivery trucks can’t arrive at their destinations when they’re supposed to.

Meanwhile, Los Angeles alone accounts for 20 percent of lost revenue because of gridlock.

INRIX also predicts things aren’t going to get better: the losses for 2030 due to traffic are projected at $186 billion.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Lars Hagberg/AFP/Getty Images(OTTOWA, Ontario) — Authorities in Canada are trying to understand what motivated a gunman to kill a soldier in the country’s capital Wednesday, with Prime Minister Stephen Harper calling the shooting the country’s second “terrorist” attack this week.

“Let there be no misunderstanding. We will not be intimidated. Canada will never be intimidated,” Harper said Wednesday in a televised address after a gunman fatally shot a soldier standing guard at Ottawa’s war memorial. The victim was identified as Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, 24.

Following the shooting — which was reported at 9:52 a.m. Wednesday — the suspect charged Parliament but was shot to death by ceremonial sergeant-at-arms Kevin Vickers, 58, authorities said.

The gunman was identified as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a 32-year-old Canadian national who had recently converted to Islam, ABC News has learned.

At this point, authorities are still gathering details about the gunman, Harper said.

“In the days to come, we will learn about the terrorist and any accomplices he may have had,” Harper said.

Canada had already raised its national terrorism alert level following an incident Monday in which a Canadian soldier was killed in a hit-and-run by a man suspected to have been a radicalized jihadist.

Ottawa police first learned of Wednesday’s attacks after receiving multiple 911 calls at 9:52 a.m. about a shooting at the National War Memorial. Gunfire was later reported inside the parliament building, less than 400 yards away. The parliament building was put into lockdown as government officials hid in their offices while police searched the sprawling building.

Meanwhile, President Obama condemned the shootings as “outrageous,” and called for vigilance.

The U.S. Embassy in Ottawa was put under lockdown Wednesday, and officials stepped up security at Arlington National Cemetery’s Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

Harper promised Canadians that by working with the country’s allies to fight terrorism and redoubling their efforts, Canada will remain safe.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Four former guards of a U.S. security company hired to protect diplomats were found guilty Wednesday in the September 2007 shooting deaths of 14 Iraqi civilians and the wounding of 17 others.

The men, who were on trial for a second time after their case was dismissed in 2009, claimed their convoy came under attack in Baghdad and were returning fire.

However, federal prosecutors successfully argued that the former Blackwater guards were the aggressors in the incident and showed “grave indifference” to bystanders who were killed or injured by their actions.

A jury convicted Nicholas Slatten of first-degree murder, punishable by a maximum of life in prison. Paul Slough, Evan Liberty and Dustin Heard were found guilty of lesser charges, including multiple counts of voluntary manslaughter.

Following the verdicts, all the defendants were ordered jailed while their lawyers said they would appeal.

Meanwhile, even after deliberating for a month, the jury still has to decide on the remaining counts in the case.

Blackwater has since been renamed Academia and bills itself as a private military company.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Stockbyte/Thinkstock(CHAPEL HILL, N.C.) — The University of North Carolina admitted Wednesday that about 3,100 students took so-called “paper classes” with no faculty oversight and no actual class attendance from 1993 through 2011.

The school estimates that half of the students were athletes, mostly from the UNC’s basketball and football teams.

Wednesday’s report goes much further than when the scandal first came to light in 2011, which initially stated that it was only about academics.

This revelation, however, drags the UNC’s vaunted athletic program into the morass.

According to the investigation conducted by the college, two employees in the African and Afro-American Studies department organized fake classes that doled out As and Bs to students who never showed up, presumably to maintain eligibility for sports.

The employees were Julius Nyang’oro, the department’s chairman, and Deborah Crowder, the department’s administrator. It was up to Crowder, the report alleged, to give out grades on single papers turned in by students, hence the term “paper classes.”

The investigation does not directly implicate any high level administrators at the school. However, it does suggest they missed obvious signs of improprieties and “failed to conduct any meaningful oversight.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

Weinstein Company(NEW YORK) — St. Vincent isn’t a particularly complex story. In fact, it’s quite simple. Bill Murray’s Vincent is a different story entirely.

When we first meet Vincent of Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn, we quickly learn he doesn’t have enough money to pay off any of his debts, which include his bar tab, gambling arrears, and money owed for services rendered by his favorite pregnant Russian prostitute, Daka, played by the vastly underrated Naomi Watts (just two Oscar nominations is not enough). There’s also the matter of Vincent’s manner: it’s awful.

While passed out on his kitchen floor, with a bruised and bloodied face to show for it, Vincent’s fortunes change when a moving van backs into his fence and breaks a branch off of a tree, damaging both. The van belongs to his new neighbors, Maggie (Melissa McCarthy) and her young son, Oliver (Jaeden Lieberher). While Vincent wants nothing to do with them, he does want money for the fence and tree.

Maggie’s having a tough time. She’s in the middle of a divorce and Oliver’s father is refusing to pay child support. She desperately wants Oliver to have a good education, so she decides to send him to a Catholic school, even though the young man is Jewish. Oliver returns from his first day of school to discover he’s locked out of the house, so he asks Vincent for help. The curmudgeonly alcoholic reluctantly lends a hand, and so begins the unlikely friendship at the heart of the movie — and St. Vincent has a lot of heart.

This isn’t the most original story, but writer and first-time feature director Theodore Melfi does a beautiful job capturing the idiosyncrasies and latent hypocrisy of the human condition. One of my favorite scenes involves Vincent weaving his way through the long velvet ropes and stanchions of an empty line inside his bank. Here’s a man who seems utterly self-absorbed, who doesn’t play well with others, abuses alcohol, sleeps with a pregnant prostitute and is in deep to a loan shark, yet here he follows the rules and walks the entirety of the empty bank line.

St. Vincent is the most complete performance of Bill Murray’s career. At first glance, Vincent feels like a familiar and predictable character, but Murray’s deft touch provides this protagonist with many complex layers. He doesn’t do it alone, though. He has a few terrific scenes with Watts but Murray’s best work comes with young Lieberher, a baby-faced 11-year-old who’s probably one of the more natural actors you‘ll see at that age. Like Vincent himself, St. Vincent isn’t perfect, but Murray’s performance is.

Four out of five stars.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

iStockPhoto/Thinkstock(GAINESVILLE, Fla.) — In the midst of a tough season, the Florida Gators decided to make a change: Florida head coach Will Muschamp named true freshman Treon Harris the team’s starting quarterback.

Harris takes over for fourth year junior Jeff Driskel.

Harris was suspended earlier this season while police investigated an accusation of sexual battery from another student. Five days after the suspension was announced, Harris was reinstated because the accuser withdrew her complaint.

Last week, Harris came into the game against Missouri in the fourth quarter, completing 8-of-12 passes for 98 yards, a touchdown and an interception. He also ran for a three yard touchdown.

“You saw what he did late in the game,” Muschamp said Wednesday. “He has a knack for making plays and making some good things happen for our football team. We’ve struggled with production at the quarterback position, and that’s been an issue for us along with others. Been a huge issue for us.”

Despite Harris being named starter, Muschamp says Driskel still has a role with the Gators (3-3, 2-3 SEC).

Florida is on a bye this week. Their next game is Nov. 1 in Jacksonville versus Georgia.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

MICHEL COMTE/AFP/Getty Images(OTTAWA, Ontario) — A gunman on Wednesday fatally shot a Canadian soldier in an attack near the Parliament that led to building lockdowns and the evacuation of the country’s prime minister.

The gunman, who was shot and killed inside the Parliament building, has been identified as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a Canadian national. The soldier who was killed was Cpl. Nathan Cirillo.

Ottawa police first learned of the attacks after receiving multiple 911 calls at 9:52 a.m. about a shooting at the National War Memorial. Gunfire was later reported inside the Parliament building, less than 400 yards away. The Parliament building was put into lockdown as government officials hid in their offices while police searched the sprawling building.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper made a televised statement to the nation Wednesday evening about the incident. “Today was without question a difficult day,” he said, noting two attacks against the country this week.

“In the days to come we will learn more about the terrorist and any accomplices,” he added. Harper said the government would work to “keep Canada safe and fight against terrorist organizations that are brutalizing so many people around the world in the hope of keeping their savagery from reaching our shores.”

Canada had already raised its national terrorism alert level Wednesday, following an incident Monday in which a Canadian soldier was killed in a hit-and-run by a man suspected to have been a radicalized jihadist.

Officials are investigating any terrorist ties to the suspect in Wednesday’s shooting.

Police initially believed that they were searching for more than one shooter, but they later said that it was too soon to determine whether or not the gunman acted alone.

“Today is a sad and tragic day for our city and our country,” Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson said.

[CLICK HERE TO SEE PHOTOS FROM THE SCENE]

Civic Hospital in Ottawa received four patients, including the wounded soldier who later died of his injuries.

“Apart from first patient, they had minor, non-life-threatening injuries and remain in hospital at this time,” hospital spokeswoman Hazel Harding told ABC News.

One of the patients was a Parliamentary Security officer who had been shot in the leg when the gunman entered the building, but the hospital said that it was an “extremity gunshot wound” and is “quite stable.” Two others were brought to the hospital with unspecified injuries. All three were later released.

Witnesses told CTV they saw a man with long hair carrying a rifle at the war memorial and heard four shots fired at the soldier, who was guarding Canada’s Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

A witness told Canada’s CBC the gunman then ran the short distance to Canada’s Parliament, jumped a wall, stopped a car at gunpoint and hijacked it. The gunman drove the car to the Centre Block on Parliament Hill where senior government leaders have their offices.

A CBC reporter inside the Canadian Parliament reported chaos there, hearing lots of gunshots. A lawmaker tweeted more than 30 shots were heard inside Parliament’s Center Block.

The gunman was shot dead by the Parliament’s Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers.

All military bases in Canada have been put on lockdown in response to the events in Ottawa, CTV reported. The U.S. Embassy in Ottawa recently followed suit. A safety perimeter in downtown Ottawa was lifted Wednesday evening.

Senior FBI and Department of Homeland Security officials told ABC News they are closely monitoring the situation. The White House said President Obama has been briefed and has spoken to Harper over the phone.

According to a readout of the call, Obama condemned the attack and “reaffirmed the close friendship and alliance between our people.” The president also offered Canada any assistance it needed in responding to the attack.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →

MICHEL COMTE/AFP/Getty Images(OTTAWA, Ontario) — A gunman on Wednesday fatally shot a Canadian soldier in an attack near the Parliament that led to building lockdowns and the evacuation of the country’s prime minister.

The gunman, who was shot and killed inside the Parliament building, has been identified as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau, a Canadian national. The soldier who was killed was Cpl. Nathan Cirillo.

Ottawa police first learned of the attacks after receiving multiple 911 calls at 9:52 a.m. about a shooting at the National War Memorial. Gunfire was later reported inside the Parliament building, less than 400 yards away. The Parliament building was put into lockdown as government officials hid in their offices while police searched the sprawling building.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper made a televised statement to the nation Wednesday evening about the incident. “Today was without question a difficult day,” he said, noting two attacks against the country this week.

“In the days to come we will learn more about the terrorist and any accomplices,” he added. Harper said the government would work to “keep Canada safe and fight against terrorist organizations that are brutalizing so many people around the world in the hope of keeping their savagery from reaching our shores.”

Canada had already raised its national terrorism alert level Wednesday, following an incident Monday in which a Canadian soldier was killed in a hit-and-run by a man suspected to have been a radicalized jihadist.

Officials are investigating any terrorist ties to the suspect in Wednesday’s shooting.

Police initially believed that they were searching for more than one shooter, but they later said that it was too soon to determine whether or not the gunman acted alone.

“Today is a sad and tragic day for our city and our country,” Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson said.

[CLICK HERE TO SEE PHOTOS FROM THE SCENE]

Civic Hospital in Ottawa received four patients, including the wounded soldier who later died of his injuries.

“Apart from first patient, they had minor, non-life-threatening injuries and remain in hospital at this time,” hospital spokeswoman Hazel Harding told ABC News.

One of the patients was a Parliamentary Security officer who had been shot in the leg when the gunman entered the building, but the hospital said that it was an “extremity gunshot wound” and is “quite stable.” Two others were brought to the hospital with unspecified injuries. All three were later released.

Witnesses told CTV they saw a man with long hair carrying a rifle at the war memorial and heard four shots fired at the soldier, who was guarding Canada’s Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

A witness told Canada’s CBC the gunman then ran the short distance to Canada’s Parliament, jumped a wall, stopped a car at gunpoint and hijacked it. The gunman drove the car to the Centre Block on Parliament Hill where senior government leaders have their offices.

A CBC reporter inside the Canadian Parliament reported chaos there, hearing lots of gunshots. A lawmaker tweeted more than 30 shots were heard inside Parliament’s Center Block.

The gunman was shot dead by the Parliament’s Sergeant-at-Arms Kevin Vickers.

All military bases in Canada have been put on lockdown in response to the events in Ottawa, CTV reported. The U.S. Embassy in Ottawa recently followed suit. A safety perimeter in downtown Ottawa was lifted Wednesday evening.

Senior FBI and Department of Homeland Security officials told ABC News they are closely monitoring the situation. The White House said President Obama has been briefed and has spoken to Harper over the phone.

According to a readout of the call, Obama condemned the attack and “reaffirmed the close friendship and alliance between our people.” The president also offered Canada any assistance it needed in responding to the attack.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio

Copyright 2014 ABC News Radio

Read More →