Fourth US soldier found deceased in Lithuania after vehicle sank in swamp
The fourth and final missing U.S. soldier whose armored vehicle sank in a swamp in Lithuania last week was found deceased Tuesday.
Three American soldiers were declared dead Monday after crews retrieved the M88 Hercules armored recovery vehicle from a peat bog near Pabradė, Lithuania. The vehicle disappeared on March 25 “while conducting a mission to repair and tow an immobilized tactical vehicle,” according to U.S. Army Europe and Africa.
“The fourth U.S. Army Soldier assigned to 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division was found deceased near Pabradė, Lithuania the afternoon of April 1,” it announced Tuesday. “The soldier’s identity is being withheld pending confirmation of notification of next of kin.”
“First and foremost, we offer condolences to the loved ones of our soldiers,” Gen. Christopher Donahue, commander of U.S. Army Europe and Africa, added in a statement. “I can’t say enough about the support our Lithuanian Allies have provided us. We have leaned on them, and they, alongside our Polish and Estonian Allies — and our own Sailors, Airmen and experts from the Corps of Engineers — have enabled us to find and bring home our soldiers. This is a tragic event, but it reinforces what it means to have Allies and friends.”
3 AMERICAN SOLDIERS DECEASED AFTER US ARMORED VEHICLE PULLED FROM LITHUANIAN SWAMP

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said Tuesday that the incident is “another stark reminder of the selfless sacrifice of our brave military men and women who risk their lives around the world every day to keep us safe.”
“The president, the Secretary of Defense and the entire White House are praying for the victims, friends and family during this unimaginable time,” she added.
“I want to personally extend my deepest condolences to the families of all four fallen soldiers,” Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth said in a statement. “Our hearts are heavy across the Department of Defense. We are deeply grateful to our brave servicemembers who enabled this difficult recovery and to our Lithuanian hosts who labored alongside them. The recovery was conducted with urgency, resolve and deep respect for the fallen. We will never forget these soldiers – and our prayers are with their families.”
U.S. Army Europe and Africa said earlier today that “Police working dogs from the Lithuanian Armed Forces began work yesterday afternoon and NATO ally Estonia joined the recovery efforts early this morning.”

“Two Estonian recovery dogs, Tilt and Maik, and their handlers flew from Tallinn, Estonia. They arrived on scene at 2:00 a.m. and began searching at 7:00 a.m. this morning. Handlers have positioned the dogs in a U.S. Navy Rigid Inflatable Boat to locate any trace scents below the surface,” it added.
HEGSETH ANNOUNCES PLAN FOR US COMMAND UPGRADES IN JAPAN TO DETER CHINA
Secretary of the Army Daniel Driscoll wrote on X Monday that “We will not rest until the fourth and final Soldier is found and brought home.
“No words can truly capture the pain of this loss, but my deepest condolences go out to the families, friends, and fellow soldiers mourning their heroes,” he said.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
U.S. Army Europe and Africa announced Monday that the armored vehicle was removed from the swamp “after a six-day-long effort that required tremendous resources from Lithuania, our steadfast ally, and hundreds of service members from the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, Lithuanian Armed Forces and the Polish Armed Forces – along with other elements from the Lithuanian government and civilian agencies – to solve the engineering challenge of recovering the 63-ton-vehicle from an area surrounded by unstable ground conditions.”