About the author  ⁄ WFIN

File photo. iStock/Thinkstock(BEIJING) — Construction workers in southern China discovered 43 fossilized dinosaur eggs while working on a road upgrade project, according to state media.

The fossils were discovered in early April in China’s Guangdong province. Of the eggs, 19 were still intact, the People’s Daily reported.

“These eggs are large in size, and one even has a diameter of 13 centimeters [more than five inches],” Du Yanli, curator of the city’s dinosaur museum, told the People’s Daily.

It was unknown what type of dinosaur the eggs may belong to, however, they have been sent to the museum for further research.

Known as the “Home of Dinosaurs,” the city of Heyuan in Guangdong province holds the record for the largest collection of dinosaur egg fossils in the world, with 10,008, according to the Guinness Book of World Records.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Getty Images(VATICAN CITY) — The Vatican has confirmed that Pope Francis will stop in Cuba before his visit to the United States this September.

The Holy See said earlier this month that a stopover was being considered. Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi officially confirmed the stopover on Wednesday but gave no further details.

Pope Francis is said to have helped speed up reconciliation between the U.S. and Cuba by encouraging leaders of both nations and hosting some of the final negotiations.

Some Vatican watchers have already questioned why the pope would chose to visit the United States and Cuba before Mexico, which has the second-largest Catholic population in the world.

Francis will be the third pontiff to visit Cuba. Pope John Paul II first visited the island nation in 1998, with Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI visiting in 2012.

The Vatican had long condemned the U.S. embargo on Cuba, saying it hurt the most vulnerable of Cuba’s population. Pope Francis has also condemned Cuba’s socialism.

During his visit in September, Francis will stop in Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and New York City. The Vatican also confirmed on Monday that Francis will canonize a controversial 18th-century California missionary during the trip.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Robin Marchant/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — There are successful makeup artists, and then there’s Bobbi Brown. In the world of beauty, she’s practically a legend.

She made a name for herself in the 1980’s by encouraging women to be natural. During a time when makeup was pretty extreme, red lips, pale skin and lots of contouring, she launched a line of 10 brown lipstick shades that debuted in the iconic department store Bergdorf Goodman in New York, then four years later she sold her brand to Estee Lauder.

Today her empire continues to thrive, from her global brand of cosmetics and skin care sold in 60 countries to a New York Times best-selling author and even an eyewear collection to “teach women how to select frames that enhance their natural beauty and complement their skin tones.”

The cosmetics guru and mother of three boys has spent her career empowering women with her mantra “Be Pretty. Be confident. Be Who You Are.”

But being beautiful doesn’t have to break the bank.

In an interview with ABC’s chief business and economics correspondent Rebecca Jarvis, Brown shared a few of her favorite at-home beauty remedies that you can find right in your kitchen.

“I like having warm water and lemon, once or twice a day. It’s really good for you,” Brown explained.

“If your skin is oily, lemon is great, but lemon is also really good, if you have a dark spot from the sun, if you apply lemon every day, it’ll lighten the spot,” said Brown.

“Lemon also will add highlights to your hair in the summer, if you have dark hair,” she added.

“For the lips, brown sugar and the honey together is the perfect lip scrub,” Brown told ABC News.

But Jarvis also wanted to get to know this powerful woman who’s always inspiring others to look their best. So she did a little Real Biz Rapid Fire to get to know the beauty queen behind the brand.

Here are 7 Secrets you probably don’t know about Bobbi Brown:


1. No. 1 at Home Food Remedy?

Coconut oil
.

2. How Much Sleep does Bobbi Brown get?

She wakes up at 6 a.m. and gets 7 or 8 hours of sleep.


3. Worst Mistake People Make with Makeup?

“They wear makeup that is too dry for their skin,” said Brown.


4. Bobbi Brown’s Least Favorite Makeup Trend.

“I hate contouring. Like any other trend, it’ll be out. Get rid of the contouring brush unless you want to look like your face is dirt,” said Brown.


5. Last Thing Bobbi Brown Bought Online?

Paper towels, toilet paper and zip locks from Amazon.


6. Last Song Bobbi Brown Listened to on Her Phone?

“Get Jiggy Wit it” by Will Smith.


7. Bobbi Brown’s Biggest Piece of Advice to Admirers Wanting to Follow in Her Footsteps?

“Just don’t listen to the rules. Make your own up,” explained Brown.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(PARIS) — A 24-year-old Algerian computer science student planning an attack on at least one church in France was arrested on Sunday, French officials announced.

Speaking after the weekly cabinet meeting Wednesday, Prime Minister Manuel Valls confirmed an individual was in custody, and police services were fully mobilized under the authority of the prosecutor of Paris.

“We have in this country, like in other countries, an unprecedented terrorist threat, unprecedented by its nature and scope,” Valls said.

The identity of the individual has not been released to the public by authorities. However, officials said his arrest came after he accidentally shot himself and called for an ambulance.

Police discovered in his car and house an arsenal with different combat weapons, handguns, ammunition, bulletproof vests, computers, documents and phones, Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve told reporters.

The suspect has also been connected to the murder of a 32-year-old woman, killed at random while she was in her car on Sunday, authorities said.

Officials confirmed that the individual was under watch for wanting to travel to Syria.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

ADALBERTO ROQUE/AFP/Getty Images(HAVANA) — It has been 15 years since Elian Gonzalez, asleep in his aunt’s Miami home when he was 6 years old, was taken into custody by U.S. federal agents.

In the early morning hours of April 22, 2000, agents burst into his room, guns drawn, and scooped him up and out before the Cuban exile community could stop them.

Elian was the center of an epic battle between the United States and Cuba over where the boy should live out the rest of his childhood.

His mother died while trying to escape the harsh economic situation on the island by boarding a homemade raft with 10 other people and Elian.

It sank, killing her and the other adults, but Elian was found floating on an inner-tube by himself some 60 miles north of Miami.

The U.S. Coast Guard brought him ashore to Florida, where his Miami relatives fought to keep him in the United States, but after months of protests in Cuba, President Bill Clinton ordered him returned, saying the boy belonged with his father, leading to the dawn raid on the Miami house.

Where is the 21-year-old now?

An avid supporter of Fidel Castro and member of Cuba’s Militant Union of Young Communists, he is studying Industrial Engineering at the University of Matanzas near his home in Cardenas, about 90 minutes outside Havana.

The Cuban media reports that Elian practices karate, swims, goes to the movies and hangs out with friends. He even has a Facebook page.

In a recent interview with ABC News, the Cuban foreign minister Bruno Rodriguez said Elian is “a terrific student right now, having a very happy and normal life…like any university student in Cuba.”

Elian’s case is viewed in Cuba as historic and symbolic of Fidel Castro’s refusal to buckle to America’s power or, more specifically, to the Cuban-American exile community in Miami.

Elian’s father, Juan Miguel, who so eloquently fought to have his son returned to him in Cuba is now a member of the National Congress, and Elian himself has spoken out against the U.S. embargo.

Telling reporters at a Youth Congress in Ecuador in 2013 it was the economic blockade imposed by the American government that caused his mother to risk her life and his so desperately in 1999.

“Cuba, even with all its problems has progressed over the years,” Gonzales said.

Elian remains close to Fidel Castro, who for years attended Elian’s birthday parties in the boy’s hometown.

In Cuba, he is regarded as a hero, and while he makes only rare public appearances, Elian has been spotted at political events and has spoken glowingly of his life on the island. Most recently he was spotted at President Raul Castro’s closing speech to the Council of States in December, only three days after the historic announcement to restore diplomatic ties between the United States and Cuba.

Elian has yet to make made any public comment about the new, friendlier relationship between the U.S. and Cuba.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

ABC/Lou Rocco(NEW YORK) — Sherri Shepherd is now officially listed as the mother of the eight-month-old baby boy born via surrogate to her and her ex-husband, Lamar Sally, last August, according to People magazine.

Since the birth of Lamar Sally, Jr., the two have been locked in a legal battle over financial responsibility after Sally claimed the couple had agreed to pursue surrogacy before Shepherd had a change of heart months into the surrogate’s pregnancy.

“It’s bittersweet,” Sally told the magazine Tuesday outside a Pennsylvania courtroom where a judge ruled Shepherd’s name will be on the child’s birth certificate. “I’m glad it’s over, but I feel sad what it had to come to. Now I can go back to L.A. and tend to my son.”

The couple split in May 2014 after almost three years of marriage.

Craig Bluestein, a legal representative for the baby, tells People that the judge’s decision to hold the former co-host of The View responsible was the result of “some additional evidence put on the record involving some video clips involving Ms. Shepherd.”

Bluestein cites a clip of Shepherd, 47, “expressing excitement over her and Lamar going to have a baby through the help of a surrogate carrier with no genetic connection.”

“I feel very good,” Bluestein concluded. “I think little LJ, who is not yet one-year-old, needed some protection. Justice was served today.”

Shepherd did not appear in court and her lawyers declined to comment.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStockphoto(NEW YORK) — Curtis Granderson drove in his first four runs of the season and Jonathon Niese (2-0) pitched shutout ball into the seventh inning in the Mets 7-1 win over the Braves on Tuesday night.

With an 11-3 record, the Mets have matched the 1986 championship club for the best 14-game start in team history. The winning streak is their longest since July 5-17, 2008, when the Mets rattled off 10 straight wins. The Mets are 8-0 at home to begin a season for the first time in franchise history.

Kevin Plawecki made his major-league debut for New York, replacing injured catcher Travis d’Arnaud. Plawecki went 2-for-4 with two runs scored in the game.

The Mets will send Dillon Gee to the mound on Wednesday, looking for 10 wins in a row. Gee has made 48 straight starts of at least five innings dating to May 2013, the longest active streak in the majors. The team record is 50 by Dwight Gooden.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

triloks/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — The Saudi Embassy in Washington on Tuesday announced the end of the Saudi-led military operation within Yemen.

According to a statement, the objectives of the operation have been achieved, and “at the request of President Abdrabu Mansur Hadi of Yemen, the focus will now shift from military operations to the political process.” The Saudi-led coalition said it still intends to work to protect the Yemeni people.

Yemen has been the site of violence in recent months after Houthi rebels overthrew the Yemeni government.

Saudi Arabia and other nations took part in Operation Decisive Storm with the aim of protecting Yemen from a Houthi takeover, ensuring security for surrounding nations, preventing weapons from making it into Yemen from outside and protecting the legitimate Yemeni government.

Operation Renewal of Hope, which the embassy says begins Tuesday, set goals including “protecting civilians, enhancing humanitarian and medical assistance to the Yemeni people, confronting terrorism, and preventing any moves by the Houthi militias and their allies to acquire or use weapons seized from the Yemeni armed forces or abroad.”

Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal tweeted his celebration over the conclusion of operations, promising 100 Bentleys for the pilots involved in Operation Decisive Storm.

A well-placed source tells ABC News that while the Saudis left open the option to return with forces later on, “this represents the end of the military operation,” and the next phase is “primarily a political process.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

jhimages/iStock Editorial/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — The U.S. Department of Justice filed a lawsuit on Tuesday against Michaels Stores Inc. for failure to report a safety hazard involving glass vases that could shatter and cause injury.

The vases, the DOJ says, shattered in customers’ hands, sometimes as the customer lifted the vase from the store shelf. Some customers suffered lacerations or nerve damage and some even needed surgery to repair severed tendons caused by the shattering vases.

“Michaels allegedly failed to report critical information about the safety of one of its products,” Principal Deputy Assistant Attorney General Benjamin Mizer said in a statement. “The Department of Justice will continue to protect the public against companies that put profits over safety.”

The DOJ claims that Michaels, in addition to failing to notify the Consumer Product Safety Commission immediately, eventually notified the CPSC in a misleading manner.

Michaels’ notification said that the company did not import the vases, when the company “should have known it was the importer,” according to the DOJ. “We believe that Michaels chose to profit from selling defective vases that put people at risk,” CPSC Chairman Elliot Kaye said, “instead of following the law and immediately reporting that their vases were shattering and causing great harm to customers.”

The vases were sold in Michaels stores from 2006 to 2010.

The cause of the defect, according to the DOJ statement, is that the walls of the vase are too thin to sustain normal handling. Michaels allegedly received numerous complaints beginning in 2007, but did not recall the vases until September 2010.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Sue Chealander/iStock/Thinkstock(WASHINGTON) — A 54-year-old man in a wheelchair fell onto the D.C. Metro system tracks at the U Street Station around 1:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to D.C. Metro officials.

The man, who was motionless between the tracks after falling, was rescued by people on the platform, who also retrieved his wheelchair and alerted Metro attendants, according to surveillance video.

He sustained a bloody lip after the fall and was later taken to the hospital alert and conscious, according to Metro officials.

ABC Breaking US News | US News Videos

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →