About the author  ⁄ WFIN

NASA(NEW YORK) — What was supposed to be a six-hour journey to the International Space Station to deliver supplies has turned into a high stakes space drama.

One day after the Progress spacecraft was launched on the back of a Soyuz rocket bound for the International Space Station, the cargo vessel remains in an uncontrolled spin orbiting Earth after several navigational antennas on the spacecraft failed to deploy and problems were reported with the propulsion system, according to NASA.

On board the Progress is 6,000 pounds of food, fuel and supplies for the six astronauts at the International Space Station.

The spacecraft has made several passes over Russian ground control stations, however officials on the ground reported attempts to issue commands to Progress and troubleshoot its issues have continued to be unsuccessful.

NASA’s supply chain to the space station has been a problem since the space shuttle quit flying, and has been a patchwork of SpaceX, ESA ATV, Japanese HTV and Orbital Cygnus that has been bolstered by the annual four shipments a year on the Progress cargo ship.

If they lose the cargo on this trip, the next supply run to space will be in June when SpaceX’s Dragon, which is currently berthed at the International Space Station, makes another supply run to space.

This is the second issue with space cargo runs in the past seven months.

Last October, an Antares rocket exploded shortly after launch, destroying thousands of pounds of cargo on board Orbital Sciences’ Cygnus spacecraft.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

ABC News(WASHINGTON) — Sen. Lindsey Graham issued his toughest criticism yet of Sen. Rand Paul’s foreign policy approach, calling the libertarian-leaning Republican “the worst person to take on Obama’s foreign policy.”

“I believe that Sen. Paul is probably the worst person to take on Obama’s foreign policy because he’s really, in many ways, behind Obama,” the South Carolina Republican told the Christian Broadcasting Network.

Graham’s comment echoes Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who last week called Paul the “worst possible candidate” on national security.

Graham went on to tell the story of how Paul was the only senator to vote against his 2012 resolution to contain Iran and said, “I respect him, but that’s not the guy you want sitting across from the Ayatollah.”

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

iStock/Thinkstock(KATHMANDU) — Hundreds of Americans remain unaccounted for after Saturday’s earthquake in Nepal, the U.S. Embassy in Kathmandu told ABC News.

The embassy has received more than 1,000 inquiries about Americans in the country and has accounted for more than 500 of those people, spokeswoman Susan Parker-Burns said Wednesday.

While that leaves nearly 500 inquiries unresolved, Parker-Burns said the list could contain some erroneous inquiries or duplicate names.

The earthquake struck during high tourism season in Nepal, when, she said, 3,000 to 4,000 Americans are usually visiting the country.

Ambassador Peter W. Bodde told ABC News Wednesday it has been hard to pin down an exact number for the missing.

“We get information, or families show concern that someone might be missing,” Bodde said. “We immediately start putting them into our database and look at what information we have.”

The embassy remains concerned about Americans trapped at higher elevations, he said.

“There’s another trekking area called Langtang, where there’s also people up there that have been reported missing, and we’re in the process of getting them down safely,” Bodde said.

A U.S. special operations mountaineering team was heading toward Mount Everest’s base camp Wednesday, the embassy said on Twitter.

The death toll from the disaster has topped 5,000, Nepalese authorities said.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

ABC(LOS ANGELES) — Some of the most memorable competitors on Dancing With the Stars dusted off their dancing shoes and returned to the ballroom Tuesday night to perform for the show’s 10th anniversary special.

Among the returning luminaries were former champions Kristi Yamaguchi, Meryl Davis, Alfonso Ribeiro and Donald Driver.

They and many other stars danced in groups and pairs. One of the highlights of the hour-long special was a football-inspired Paso Doble set to the iconic theme music of the Super Bowl. Featuring Super Bowl champions Driver, Hines Ward, Kurt Warner, Jacoby Jones, Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice, the routine drew applause from the ballroom audience.

Following the performance, co-host Erin Andrews asked Smith how participating in the show had affected his life.

“It has transformed so many different things,” Smith said. “Everywhere I go, men and women, boys and girls, they all know me from Dancing with the Stars.”

Singer Katherine Jenkins — who is four months pregnant — TV personality Maria Menounos and double-amputee Paralympian Amy Purdy also performed as part of a group number.

Actress Kelly Monaco, who won the show’s first season in 2005, turned in a steamy performance with pro dancer Val Chmerkovskiy.

Other pair performances featured former pro Maksim Chmerkovskiy, who returned to the ballroom to perform with Davis, with whom he won the show’s 18th season; Ribeiro and Witney Carson, the season-19 champions; and Melissa Rycroft and Tony Dovolani, who won the mirror ball trophy in season 15.

Former cast members Lil’ Kim, Patti LaBelle and Amber Riley, who won season 17 with Derek Hough, teamed up to perform LaBelle’s hit, “Lady Marmalade.” Country music star Billy Ray Cyrus made an appearance to sing a snippet of his hit, “Achy Breaky Heart.”

The special ended with all the stars, pro dancers, judges and hosts converging on the dance floor for one big group number.

Dancing with the Stars is now in its 20th season.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Justin Sullivan/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — A 14-year-old girl from one of the world’s poorest countries is showing that social media stardom isn’t reserved for the rich and famous.

Paola Mejía, who lives in Honduras and is known by her nickname La Chiki, or “the little one,” has over 100,000 followers on Facebook. The teen has built that loyal following with her unique perspective on how to make the most out of modest means.

Among her Facebook tips are suggestions of how to eat without spending much: A simple meal of butter on bread; how to stretch your clothing budget by shopping at second-hand stores; and how to avoid a costly trip to the salon by using a clothing iron to straighten her hair.

Her catchphrase is “Be humble.”

She has also been interviewed by both local and international media. The BBC’s headline about her is, “How to be poor — a Facebook guide.” But as her fame grows, local businesses are reportedly compensating her for endorsements, such as a cell phone company and pizza restaurant, according to the BBC. And that has prompted her Facebook fans to urge her not to “sell out.”

Mejía could not be reached for comment by ABC News.

One short video posted on April 15 has a title that’s translated into English, “Watch Chiki If You Want to Buy a Cell Phone at a Good Price.”

It all started as a dare, the BBC reports, and now she’s a viral sensation.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

ABC News(BALTIMORE) — Baltimore police credited an overnight curfew with helping to restore some level of order in a community shaken by violence and unrest.

Law enforcement fired smoke canisters and pepper balls after some protesters defied the curfew, which went into effect at 10 p.m. and continued until 5 a.m. By midnight, 10 arrests had been made, Police Commissioner Anthony Batts said.

“Curfew is, in fact, working,” Batts said. “The city is stable. We’d like to keep it that way.”

The curfew was implemented after a day of riots followed Monday’s funeral of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who died with a spinal injury a week after police took him into custody.

After appeals to disperse as the 10 p.m. curfew began, including one on the ground from Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md., and others in the air from police choppers, the police line slowly moved forward, but to no avail.

The 10 p.m. curfews are to continue for one week, Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake said, and could be extended as necessary. A 9 p.m. curfew was already in effect for children 14 and younger.

About 2,000 National Guardsmen were deployed to the city after Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan declared a state of emergency.

The riots began Monday afternoon shortly after the funeral of Gray, and resulted in more than 250 arrests and injuries to at least 20 police officers Monday night into Tuesday. A week of peaceful protests had preceded the violence.

President Obama Tuesday said there was “no excuse” for the violence, looting and arson.

“They’re destroying and undermining businesses and opportunities in their own communities,” he said in a joint press conference with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

Public schools in Baltimore were scheduled to reopen Wednesday after being closed Tuesday. The Baltimore Orioles and Chicago White Sox are scheduled to play Wednesday afternoon, although Camden Yards was to be closed to spectators.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Brian D. Kersey/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — Former Detroit Tigers and Los Angeles Dodgers star Kirk Gibson has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.

The 57-year-old Gibson, who spent the last five seasons as the skipper of the Arizona Diamondbacks, recently joined Fox Sports Detroit as an analyst. Gibson appeared on the April 6 Opening Day telecast but had not been seen since.

“I have faced many different obstacles in my life, and have always maintained a strong belief that no matter the circumstances, I could overcome those obstacles,” Gibson said in a statement released by Fox Sports Detroit. “While this diagnosis poses a new kind of challenge for me, I intend to stay true to my beliefs. With the support of my family and friends, I will meet this challenge with the same determination and unwavering intensity that I have displayed in all of my endeavors in life. I look forward to being back at the ballpark as soon as possible.”

As a player, Gibson won World Series championships with the Tigers (1984) and Dodgers (1988). Over his 17 big league seasons, Gibson hit .268 with 255 home runs, 870 RBIs, and a .352 on-base percentage while winning the 1988 National League MVP.

Parkinson’s disease is a progressive disorder of the nervous system that impacts movement. Some high profile names that live with the disease include actor Michael J. Fox and Muhammad Ali.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

william87/iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) — Some American Airlines flights experienced issues involving connectivity problems with pilot iPads that caused delays.

Andrea Huguely, director of Corporate Communications for American Airlines, said that “some flights are experiencing an issue with a software application on pilot iPads.” In some of those cases, the plane was forced to return to the gate and use a WiFi connection to remedy the problem.

American Airlines spokesperson Casey Norton said that the app is used by pilots to access flight plans and maps. The cause of the issue has been identified, Norton noted, and a solution is being worked on.

Huguely told ABC News that the issue lasted only a few hours and a workaround was implemented Tuesday night.

Not all pilot iPads were affected, Huguely added, noting that the issue wasn’t particularly widespread.

In 2013, American Airlines announced in a press release that it would become the first major commercial airline to use electronic flight bags, replacing thousands of pages of paper flight information with iPads.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Photo by Axel Schmidt/Getty Images(KIEV, Ukraine) — The European Union reaffirmed its support for reform in Ukraine on Tuesday.

“The EU supports Ukraine,” President of the European Commission Jean-Claude Juncker said. “Since March 2014, the EU and the European Financial Institutions have mobilised € 6 billion in grants and loans to help stabilise the macro-economic situation in the country and facilitate the reform process.”

The International Support for Ukraine Conference began Tuesday in Kiev. Organized by Ukrainian authorities, the conference is an opportunity for the EU to hear from Ukraine about the ongoing reform process and the challenges ahead.

Both sides can also use the conference to discuss necessary measures of support.

“We are…using other support tools such as unilateral trade measures,” Juncker noted. “Important progress in reforms has been achieved, but more must be done, in a credible and sustained way.”

Juncker noted completed steps, including efforts to decentralize, the adoption of a new gas market law, reduction in regulatory and licensing requirements in an effort to facilitate business, and the adoption of an anti-corruption package.

“The work in many areas across the board — constitutional reform, decentralisation, justice and civil sector reform, energy sector reform, improving business climate — must continue,” Juncker concluded. “The contract the EU has with Ukraine is clear: You keep reforming and we will keep supporting.”

The EU has been supportive of Ukraine in the wake of tensions between Ukraine and neighboring Russia, which annexed the Crimean peninsula last year.

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →

Stockbyte/Thinkstock(HOUSTON) — Seven people on their way to church recently avoided a potentially deadly crash, thanks to the combined efforts of a thoughtful stranger, emergency dispatchers and a roadside assistance worker.

“If not for them, maybe it’d be a different story,” Vivian Ikpefua, the owner of the car, told ABC News Tuesday.

On Sunday, Ikpefua was traveling with six others when the car they were in got a flat tire. James Richards, a roadside assistance worker, was stopped on the shoulder of the Westpark Tollway in southwest Houston to help them when he got a call from the Harris County Toll Road Authority Incident Response Command.

“Be advised, sir,” the dispatcher said. “There’s a vehicle approaching you that is swerving all over the lane….He is about to get on the shoulder. You need to steer clear of the lane.”

Minutes earlier, an alert driver had called command to report an erratic SUV on the roadway.

“I cannot imagine what would have happened if she hadn’t taken the time to give us a call,” dispatcher Alexa Barrick told local station ABC13.com.

With just seconds before impact, dispatchers radioed to warn Richards, who said he and the family were all standing between his wrecker and Ikpefua’s vehicle. Richards, who said the SUV was just a mere exit away, tried to quickly get everyone back inside the car.

“I didn’t have time to explain because I [knew] it’s coming,” he said Tuesday. “I looked over my shoulder [and] I see it coming.”

With nearly 40 cameras perched on the toll road, dispatchers prepared themselves for the worst as they watched the SUV take to the shoulder and bear down on Richards and the stranded family. The SUV smashed into the tow truck’s rear.

Richards described the impact as “bone-chilling…one of my cat lives, for sure.”

Neither he nor the family members were hurt.

“We heard a loud noise at the back of my car….My daughter was crying….I was scared,” Ikpefua said Tuesday. “If he [Richards] hadn’t been there, it’d be a different story.”

Capt. Terry Allbritton of the Harris County Precinct 5 Constable’s Office did not identify the driver of the SUV, who he said suffered leg and head injuries, and was given a ticket for driving on the shoulder. He may have been distracted and not realized he was on the shoulder, Allbritton said.

Allbritton added that if it wasn’t for Richards, the accident could have been much worse.

“Fortunately, his quick thinking and his training was able to save these peoples’ lives and his own,” Allbritton said.

ABC Breaking US News | US News Videos

Follow @ABCNewsRadio
Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather Read More →