About the author  ⁄ Doug Jenkins

5/6/15 – 6:46 A.M.

A renewal levy in the North Baltimore school district passed with ease Monday. Results from Wood and Hancock County show 64 percent of the votes cast for a 1 percent, five-year income tax were in favor of the measure. The tax generates $695,000 per year for general operating expenses.

It was first passed in 2006.

Read More →

5/6/15 – 5:30 A.M.

Another step towards building a new joint justice center in Seneca County was taken this week. The Review-Times reports Tiffin City Council has approved a memorandum of understanding for the project. The county commissioners will now develop a contract with the North Central Ohio Regional Council of Governments to serve as project manager.

The justice center will be built where the former courthouse once stood in Tiffin. It’s expected to cost $8.5 million and will house two common pleas courts, the clerk of courts and Tiffin-Fostoria Municipal Court when completed. The county will own 75 percent while the city will own the remaining 25 percent.

The commissioners have requested a timeline for project details. They are also asking for a list that spells out who handles what parts of the project.

MORE: Review-Times

Read More →

5/6/15 – 5:18 A.M.

The people behind a recent prescription drug collection effort were honored Tuesday night. The Courier reports the Hancock County Prescription Drug Abuse and Opiate Task Force recognized the group during the Findlay City Council meeting. Around 412 pounds of unused medication were collected last week in Findlay.

Commendations were given to the Findlay Police Department and the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office. Task ?force members Joe Rader and Bruce Deppen also received recognition.

MORE: The Courier

Read More →

5/6/15 – 5:10 A.M.

The only item on the ballot in Putnam County passed Tuesday. Voters in Greensburg Township approved a replacement levy for fire protection. 37 votes were in favor of the measure while 20 were against.

The 1.5-mill, five-year tax will generate more than $49,000 annually for fire services. According to the Putnam County Auditor’s Office the owner of a home appraised at $100,000 will pay $52.50 a year.

Read More →

5/6/15 – 5:03 A.M.

Two Findlay men have been indicted on aggravated burglary charges. The Courier reports the Hancock County grand jury handed up indictments against 19-year-old Shawn Hobbs and 21-year-old Christopher Lemons Tuesday. Investigators accuse the men of assaulting a man as he was trying to enter his home at 1211 Chateau Court on April 22.

The attack allegedly continued in the home until the victim was able to hit Hobbs with an ashtray. The victim suffered injuries but refused medical treatment.

Hobbs and Lemons remain in the Hancock County Jail.

MORE: The Courier

Read More →

5/6/15 – 4:55 A.M.

A zoning ordinance will remain in place in Delaware Township. 63 percent of the people who voted on the issue opted to keep the 14-year-old policy. 61 votes were in favor of keeping the zoning policy in place while 36 were against.

The policy was first put in place in 2001 when there were rumors a commercial dump wanted to locate in the township. Township Trustee Steve Miller tells the Courier there was no organized outcry against the zoning code. Some resident shad voiced opposition to zoning fees and restrictions over the years, so the trustees decided to put it up for a vote.

Read More →

5/5/15 – 10:46 P.M.

Arlington residents have approved electric aggregation for the village. 73 percent of the votes cast in the town were in favor of the measure. The aggregation program would form a pool of electric customers who would be able to bargain for reduced rates.

Residents have the option to opt out if they want. The program is only available to AEP customers.

Read More →

5/5/15 – 10:43 A.M.

Two school renewal levies faired will at the polls Tuesday. 65 percent of the voters in the Arcadia school district approved the renewal of a 3-mill, three-year operating levy.

McComb voters did likewise. A renewal of a five-year tax for permanent improvements received support from 66 percent of te ballots cast.

Read More →

5/5/15 – 10:35 P.M.

The vast majority of registered voters in Hancock County stayed home Tuesday. Just under 13 percent of people registered to vote cast a ballot. Board of Elections chairman David Spahr says turnout was what they expected…

Audio: David Spahr

The only big draws to the polls were the contested Findlay races and a couple of county wide levy renewals. There were no state issues on the ballot.

Read More →