Rechargeable Battery Causes Small Fire

1/23/18 – 6:45 A.M.

A small fire temporarily drove a Fostoria family from their home Monday morning. The Advertiser-Tribune reports firefighters responded to 12400 West Axline Street, Lot 59 around 6:15 a.m.

Chief Mark DeVault of Bascom Joint Fire District tells the newspaper it looks like a rechargeable battery may have malfunctioned. He says a resident of the home was holding it when it heated up and exploded. The residents used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames, but they rekindled when firefighters arrived.

The fire temporarily displaced the family living in the mobile home while crews did clean up work.

MORE: Advertiser-Tribune